Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Armour

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Armour

Hi, all. I was working on some Kukishinden Ryu techniques today in Bujinkan class and we were finding it a little difficult to visualise the armour and move in an appropriate manner.
    So, not being able to afford to buy some armour, i was thinking i might have a bash at making some or all of a set of facsimile armour which will give us the idea of the way it affects how the techniques were done historically.
    Does anyone have reccomendations on which style / period to make, or any patterns, resources or instructions for making different pieces?
    Any help greatly appreciated,

Jen Fletcher.
    Bujinkan Kokoro Dojo.
    Jen Fletcher.
    Bujinkan Millis Dojo Leeds Shibu, UK.

Likes (received)

Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

Hi Jen

As soon as i get the time, i shall visit and bring mine with me.
    'Saru mo ki kara ochiru.' is a Japanese kotowaza or proverb. 'Even monkeys fall from trees.' or essentially 'Nobody's perfect'

Gary Brewer

Likes (received)

Smile

Thanks, Baio.
    Brilliant, Gary, that would be very useful.
    You get so used to uke having a gi on, it's nice to be made to think around different forms of dress.
    You getting up for the open session on the 27th?
    Jen.
    Jen Fletcher.

Likes (received)

Having looked at the online armour manual (comments on accuracy?) all i can say is that's a lot more fiddly than i though it would be.
    Time for a trip to the royal armouries museum, which is luckily just down the road.
    Jen.
    Jen Fletcher.

Likes (received)

oh it's accurate. his masters thesis was actually making a set of armour, he lived in japan with a family who has been doing it for centuries.
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

Cool

Wooh, ok, that's pretty good. Wow.
    Thanks, Jen
    Jen Fletcher.

Likes (received)

Training with someone on your back piggy-back style is an exercise I've seen used a lot over the years to mimic the wearing of armour.
    Adam C R Hurley -
    I know nothing - Manuel, Fawlty Towers.

Likes (received)

Yeah, i've done that as well, tears ago..but weight distribution is wrong

If i remember i'll bring armour to the course, you can try on.
    'Saru mo ki kara ochiru.' is a Japanese kotowaza or proverb. 'Even monkeys fall from trees.' or essentially 'Nobody's perfect'

Gary Brewer

Likes (received)

Default Leeds armoury

Did you go to the exhibition of Tokugawa Ieyasu's armour and treasure at the armoury? It was great.
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

At a recent seminar on Kukishin Ryu tewaza, it was pointed out that modern motorcyclist leathers have armor plating in most, if not all, of the same places as traditional yoroi. I recommend seeing if someone in your dojo can find a set to wear in training.

Have fun!
    Evan London
    Dojo-cho, Jinenkan Inazuma Dojo
    Orange, CT
    www.Jinenkan-Inazuma.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Keegan
    Did you go to the exhibition of Tokugawa Ieyasu's armour and treasure at the armoury? It was great.
    I saw a poster for the exhibition and spent ages trying to find the samurai display at the armoury. It was only when I asked an assistant that she pointed out that the exhibition was at the Leeds Royal Armoury, whereas we were standing in the Royal Armoury at Fort Nelson in Portsmouth!

It didn't speculate which armoury on the poster but thankfully I hadn't gone there especially, but as part of a ride-out from a motorcycle rally.
    Adam C R Hurley -

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan London
    At a recent seminar on Kukishin Ryu tewaza, it was pointed out that modern motorcyclist leathers have armor plating in most, if not all, of the same places as traditional yoroi. I recommend seeing if someone in your dojo can find a set to wear in training.

Have fun!
    I turn up in mine nearly every week!

I would hope that Japanese yoroi allows more room for movement than a full set of leathers though, even if heavier.

Nobody looks tougher and cooler than in a set of black bike leathers but in reality it would not be all that easy to fight thus adorned.

Even if you don't have a bike, go and try on some leathers in a shop to see what I mean (they won't know you don't have a bike).
    Adam C R Hurley -

Likes (received)

I wasn't recommending training in bike leathers, I was recommending training against someone wearing them. That way you can test and see if you have your targeting correct. Besides having limited movement, I bet it would get a bit hot training in full leathers!
    Ev
    Evan London
    Dojo-cho, Jinenkan Inazuma Dojo
    Orange, CT
    www.Jinenkan-Inazuma.com

Likes (received)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Keegan
    No, i missed it, which is a pain since i live in Leeds.
    However, I was down there yesterday taking photos of the permenant collection, they have one 13thC o-yoroi and the one given to James 1st & 4th by Shogun Ieyasu in the early 1600's. The rest is mostly 18th and 19th C stuff, solid plate clamshell do, etc.
    Currently discovering the finger abrading delights of making japanese brigandine tateage parts of shino suneate (Thought i'd make the easy bits first!)
    Yes, we came to the same conclusions about armouring of biker leathers and modern kevlar vests, etc. Fun to look at different clothing / armour and weak spots. Interestingly european armour of the erly and middle mediaeval period doesn't have the same weak spots since the gaps are filled by the hauberk and gambeson.
    Jen.
    Last edited by Paragonfortytwo; 21st February 2007 at 16:31.
    Jen Fletcher.