Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Noto(s)

Likes (received)

Default Interesting Noto(s)

I understand there many different ryuha have their own style of Chiburi and Noto. Here is a video of someone doing a series of very interesting notos. Do anyone know which ryuha are these are from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40KorEGqiY0
    - D. Lee

Likes (received)

The first noto he did was definetly a katori shinto-ryu noto, or at primarily inspired by it anyways.

I like the one where he rubs the blood off with his foot. (about 02.08 into the clip)
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

I wonder who teaches him?
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

The user posting the clips on YT is the same as the performer.

And just for the heck of it, I noticed he has also made a "jo"-clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9dDn5k1les. Looks like a slower version of the regular Aiki-jo forms.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Default stunt man, not iaidoka

per his comments in the video, he is a stuntman and a mid-level aiki guy. Lots of 'stuntman' stuff in both the noto (good rule - avoid anything entitled 'samurai sword' something) and the jo clips. Looks like stuff cobbled together from a bunch of different sources, as well as some made up stuff. I'd recommend he work more on getting the draw cut right or he won't have to worry about cleaning off someone's else's blood. Basics first, then the fancy stuff (maybe).

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Likes (received)

The first noto he did was definetly a katori shinto-ryu noto, or at primarily inspired by it anyways.
    Hi All!
    The first one would make a slim third place in a TSKSR-noto-lookalike contest. The rotation of the sword shows a lack of control and the right leg had a bad timing! The other would won the creativity price in the freestyle contest! They show clearly that most people think of chiburi as an actual cleaning of the blade rather than a ritual one(and its a ritual one!). I have seen only one ryu (with a big grain of salt because it was in a book by D. Craig) who cleaned there blades in there own garment(in this case the hakama), the Mugai-Ryu.
    Regards
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

I can tell you that there is nothing even close to being or looking like Mugai Ryu in this video!
    BIG TONY

Senpokan Dojo
    Tozai Imports

Likes (received)

I think to be quite baffled

Likes (received)

I can tell you that there is nothing even close to being or looking like Mugai Ryu in this video!
    Hi Toni!
    Thats what i am thinking too! Do the Mugai-ryu wipe there swords in there hakama like shown in Darrel Graigs book?
    Best
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Sven,
    Not any of the legit lines that I have seen or am a part of!
    When I teach seminars, I tend to make a point about what chiburi really stands for and that it was not meant to really wick blood and stuff off of the blade. Most likely, you would have wipped your blade off on the clothes of the dead guy, not your own!
    Anyway, we do not do this in any of the kata or waza that we practice in Meishi Ha Mugai Ryu Iaihyodo.

I hope this helps.

Aloha
    BIG TONY

Senpokan Dojo
    Tozai Imports

Likes (received)

Hi Toni!
    Thanks for the answer!
    I think to be quite baffled
    Hi Luca!
    Why?
    Best
    Sven
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sven beulke
    Hi Luca!
    Why?
    Best
    Sven
    I think Toni had already given a good answer and I share his opinion. It's difficult to imagine a chiburi that cleans the blade on your own clothes (and also soaks your kimono of the enemy blood).

About the katori chiburi I think your evaluation is good

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Benkei the Monk
    I think Toni had already given a good answer and I share his opinion. It's difficult to imagine a chiburi that cleans the blade on your own clothes (and also soaks your kimono of the enemy blood).
    Heh. I might be opening a can of worms here..but what the hey. While we are speaking of KSR-noto. Yoshio Sugino sensei of TSKR did his own version of KSR-noto which I havent seen done by Otake Risuke sensei.

Sugino Sensei clip
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

Actually, that first one looks just like a noto from one of the iaijutsu kata in Hontai Yoshin-ryu. The rest...?
    Eric Baluja

Fukai kiri teme mo motenai kaku reru daizan.

Likes (received)

Default Mugai ryu chiburi

I have understood that Mugai ryu have yokochiburi in tachi waza, but no chiburi on sitting waza, is that right? I have also heard that chiburi is not about weeping blood away from blade, but cleaning and calming ones mind after sliced up someone.
    Sami Hyvärinen

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast