Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Budo in Kodiak, Alaska?

Likes (received)

Default Budo in Kodiak, Alaska?

I was wondering if anyone knew of any reputable dojos up Kodiak way. I'll be stationed there for the next 3 years, I've been budo-less for ~8 months now and it makes me sad. Thanks!
    Anthony Gutierrez
    "Semper Paratus"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingbudoka
    I was wondering if anyone knew of any reputable dojos up Kodiak way. I'll be stationed there for the next 3 years, I've been budo-less for ~8 months now and it makes me sad. Thanks!
    My brother was a helicopter-riding corpsman out of Kodiak a few years ago, before being promoted to Coast Guard Liason at the Air Force hospital in Tampa, Florida.

I should see him Sunday afternoon or Monday, and I'll ask him if he has heard of any; but from what I recall of his stories about Kodiak, I don't hold out much hope. (Something about 10,000 bears and 2,000 people?)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

There is a Tang Soo Do school listed in the phone book. At a minimum, the folks there should be able to give you ideas about what other clubs are available locally. My guess is that you'll find aikido or judo classes somewhere in the area, probably operating on a shoestring out of a local community center or school gym.

For base history, try http://www.kadiak.org/.

Likes (received)

There used to be a pretty good Shotokan (ISKF) dojo on Kodiak, it has been about 4 years since I have checked on them though (at that time they were listed on the main ISKF website.

will
    will szlemko
    Shoshin Ryu

Only Robinson Crusoe had his work done by Friday.

Likes (received)

thanks guys, Aikido or Judo is prefered, but you can't always get what you want. I think this is gonna be a long 3 years, lol. hopefully I there's a program on the base that I can get into, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Anthony Gutierrez
    "Semper Paratus"