Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Ronin" as a tattoo

Likes (received)

Default "Ronin" as a tattoo

A guy I work with has a big tattoo on his arm of the kanji for ronin. It looks a bit silly, and I am trying to find some alternate translate or slang use of the word to let him know how silly it is...

Any ideas?
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Lindsey
    A guy I work with has a big tattoo on his arm of the kanji for ronin. It looks a bit silly, and I am trying to find some alternate translate or slang use of the word to let him know how silly it is...

Any ideas?
    You could just try to educate him on what the term "Ronin" stood for.
    ~Or just let it go. It's his Tattoo after all, right?

Likes (received)

Ask him how long he's been unemployed and then tell him to get a job so he doesn't have to wear his silly tattoo any more.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

I'm sure if you do nothing, somebody else will let him know soon enough in their own way. Your conscience will be clear, and he'll know better in time

Dan Gould
    Dan Gould

Not yet rated (Rather comfy in the gi now, just waiting to look good in it)

Likes (received)

Hey John,

Sympathize with him that he didn't make it in to university and wish him best luck for his test-over. Of course this may exacerbate any anti-academic tendencies he may or may not have.

The term rōnin is also used in modern Japan for those who have failed the entrance examination for a university (or other school). This use derives from their having no school to attend, as a ronin samurai has no leader to serve.
    From Wikipedia.org "Ronin".

Of course, maybe he was so distraught about not getting in that he joined the Yakuza! There's a double-whammy of japanese culture/history for him.

Good luck over there.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Tell him that I don't like it when people tattoo my surname on themselves, and that he's lucky the tattoo artist forgot the "C"!
    Robert Cronin

Likes (received)

Anyone considering getting a tattoo in a language they can't read should spend some time at http://www.Hanzismatter.com

Likes (received)

Always found it funny/sad how people would get a tattoo of a language they don't understand. The reasons are demonstrated beautifully in the Dirty Sanchez movie, where Pritchard wants "Sleep When I'm Dead" tattooed on his arm in Russian, but Dainton tells the tattooist to tat him with "I love Johnny Knoxville."

I've been tempted a few times to get some Kanji inked on me, but I always worried about if they cocked it up, and what happens if I go to Japan then? It'd be like having a Japanese guy having "love" in English tattooed on his arm, it must provide the speakers of the languages a right laugh.
    Dan Gould

Not yet rated (Rather comfy in the gi now, just waiting to look good in it)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shindai
    Always found it funny/sad how people would get a tattoo of a language they don't understand. The reasons are demonstrated beautifully in the Dirty Sanchez movie, where Pritchard wants "Sleep When I'm Dead" tattooed on his arm in Russian, but Dainton tells the tattooist to tat him with "I love Johnny Knoxville."

I've been tempted a few times to get some Kanji inked on me, but I always worried about if they cocked it up, and what happens if I go to Japan then? It'd be like having a Japanese guy having "love" in English tattooed on his arm, it must provide the speakers of the languages a right laugh.
    Actually if you have any kind of tattoo you will be looked down on and many public places will not allow you entry with tattoos on display.
    Gusta Paulo Novak

Likes (received)

There was on guy on e-budo three years ago with the same "ronin"-tattoo and he got funny responses as well.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost...67&postcount=7
    Ville Penttilä

Internet is a vast liberal plot to destroy humanity and make the entire Earth blow up like a gigantic cake crammed full of homosexuals and foreigners

Likes (received)

You could just try to educate him on what the term "Ronin" stood for.
    ~Or just let it go. It's his Tattoo after all, right?
    you have to prove yourself first and your creativity . And off-topic (dont want create new topic) How do you think ,cherry blossom tattoo like that look kitsch or not? my friend wants to do it but I trying to dissuade

Likes (received)

I wonder how John is doing.
    Ed Boyd