Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jujutsu Techniques Romanization Names

Likes (received)

Question Jujutsu Techniques Romanization Names

Hello All,

My first post was in the Sword Arts forum.

I am currently interested in learning Japanese words used in training to try and break the barrier that i feel is there when training with the Japanese.

I can understand some of the basic names given to the Jujutsu techniques like Kotegashi, tai otoshi and a few other and know all the numbers, body parts, break falls and strikes, and categories of techniques like kansetsu waza, te waza etc etc. But still miss alot.

We usually train the syllabus using just the english name of the technique so one can understand what the technique is about but before our next visit to kyoto we are eager to learn most of the names of the jujutsu techniques.

Any of you can offer any help from where I could get a good list?

Bundle of thanks in advance.

Joe Falz
    Joseph Falzon

Likes (received)

Syd Hoare's book "A to Z of Judo" is a good place to start: it's basically an illustrated encyclopedia of techniques and includes lots of stuff which isn't commonly taught in judo (due to being illegal in shiai), but is still quite common in gendai jujutsu schools. Or have a look at the techniques listed on judoinfo.com.

If you're currently using English terminology, I'm guessing yours is a westernised gendai jujutsu style - so I'm also guessing the unarmed syllabus has most of its roots in judo.

For weapons (sword) based stuff, I don't know, sorry!
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

When you say 'before our next visit to kyoto' does this mean your school has links there - in which case ask your teacher, or is your school trying to connect to koryu teaching, in which case a lot of the terminology used is very specific to each Ryu. You do know that the majority of juijitsu in the UK is made up out of judo and bits of half learnt wrestling aikido and karate, dont you?
    Paul Greaves
    ''Skill is aquired via sweat equity''

Likes (received)

Our Jujutsu style is not direct koryu but it is taken from many Koryu styles with a new approach and rectified by DNBK Japan as a new autentic Ryu-Ha, not just made up. My sensei has also been invited on many occasions to teach it in Japan. We travel frequently to Japan especially Kyoto and have the occasion to train in different Koryu like Araki Ryu, Yanagi Ryu, Shibukawa Ryu etc etc. Im currently perfecting in 3 Bo Kata that I learned in Araki Ryu, I preety much like their Bo Waza. My Sensei has also trained in Takenuchi Ryu and was a direct student of Haruna Sensei of MJER Iaijutsu. Unfortuantely Haruna Sensei left this world at the time my Sensei was planing to take us to his Musashi Dojo in Ohara. There is alot more I could say but I would not as my intentions of writing on this forum were never about us and braging/bragers is something I hate!! I wouldent have said anything about us if I wasen't asked! infact i never mention the name of our Ryu. And I won't. As this is not about us.

Back to my inital question:

Thanks for the Judo link. Altough theres alot of Gi work there but it does help a little. Any more info is much appreceated.

Actually re-looking at the judo site it answears many of the names i was looking for but they are done a little diferent. Many Gi pulling rather than continuing the attackers own attack/strength but most of them i can recognise but I hope that it dosent make a difference in the name

Thanks again.
    Last edited by tsumiainokurai; 8th February 2007 at 15:49.
    Joseph Falzon

Likes (received)

''infact i never mention the name of our Ryu. And I won't. As this is not about us.''

If your asking a question, then your background is indeed a factor on the answers you get.
    Tall and skinny of it is there is no overall guide to Ryu-ha names, and its quite good there isnt, it would lend ''neo-koryu'' (tm) much more information to back up the shaky basis to their 'art'. If indeed you want judo sourced names www.judoinfo.com is quite good. aside from that Koryu.com has many articles on true koryu.
    Paul Greaves
    ''Skill is aquired via sweat equity''

Likes (received)

thanks Bu-Kusa. I assure you that we are interested in nothing but legitimate Ryu.

Thanks for all the help guys.

More info is appreceated.
    Joseph Falzon

Likes (received)

If you want to talk to the Japanese, learn Japanese (the language) or let those that want to practice their English on you.

If your art doesn't have Japanese names for it's techniques, use the English names. If the Japanese are interested in your art they should learn it in the appropriate manner ie. using English terminology. I'm sure they'll want the authentic experience so English will be indispensable.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

thanks walker, the problem is when the japanese teach us they show the techniques over and over while talking in Japanese and the only parts we get to understand are the few word we already know, and sometimes they ask for you to perform a particular technique and it takes a bit of time to get to know which one he would ask for. I remembered I have a general koryu book here and there are a few terms around and learned quite a few already. We do not expect to learn Japanese, just words used in Jujutsu and Budo in general.

Thanks again and best regards.
    Joseph Falzon

Likes (received)

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but a quick search on "budo dictionary" came up with this link.

http://home1.stofanet.dk/leo/dict.html

I can't speak to the accuracy or how complete it is, I haven't looked it over that much yet, and still pretty much a newbie anyway.

I hope it helps.
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

jdostie it does have a few answears. thanks mate i really apreceate it.
    Joseph Falzon

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by tsumiainokurai
    Our Jujutsu style is not direct koryu but it is taken from many Koryu styles with a new approach and rectified by DNBK Japan as a new autentic Ryu-Ha, not just made up. My sensei has also been invited on many occasions to teach it in Japan. We travel frequently to Japan especially Kyoto and have the occasion to train in different Koryu like Araki Ryu, Yanagi Ryu, Shibukawa Ryu etc etc. Im currently perfecting in 3 Bo Kata that I learned in Araki Ryu, I preety much like their Bo Waza. My Sensei has also trained in Takenuchi Ryu and was a direct student of Haruna Sensei of MJER Iaijutsu. Unfortuantely Haruna Sensei left this world at the time my Sensei was planing to take us to his Musashi Dojo in Ohara.
    Back to my inital question.
    So who was your Araki-ryu sensei? Araki-ryu are mainly based in Gunma-ken and Saitama-ken, of which there are three lines. There is another line that deals with iai and kenbu in Himeji. Shibukawa-ryu are based in Osaka.

I only ask as there are only a few people outside of Japan who do Araki-ryu. One of them is myself.
    Last edited by Steve Delaney; 9th February 2007 at 03:12.

Likes (received)

I never claimed I do these styles! I said we trained in them, I say again that we are not commited to one Koryu, I know that Shibukawa Ryu are based in Osaka but not sure were Araki Ryu is cause I did not visit their Dojo, we trainied in Kyoto Budo Center and the Butoku Den.

There are about 8 different Koryu that we had sessions in over the years.

I do not know their names correctly, and with most of them we trainied with their assistants rather than the head, but we have seen the heads in Embu, I have photos but its certainly not correct to duplicate them over the internet without permission. I do have a list of names somewere back home (im currently on a bussines trip for a whole 2 months).

So infact my number one priority in our next visit to Kyoto is getting the correct names!

And before then I whant to learn the japanese terms correctly and very basic japanese launguage! Infact I am taking the advantage of free time in this trip to learn these and that is why I asked these questions.

Over the years we not only trained in Jujutsu and Iaijutsu, but also had sessions in other styles under the Japanese not just in Japan but also in USA and Europe. And not DNBK Sensei only, also renowned Sensei like Tomeji Tomita Sensei Aikido in Sweden.

Its a quiz
    Joseph Falzon

Likes (received)

Default Hi Joseph

Hi Joseph

I've met your Sensei (if it's the gentleman in Rochdale I'm thinking of) and I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to mention his name and style (but respecting that, I won't either). His Jujutsu and Iai are superb and he's a great teacher, very well respected.

Regarding the names of techniques you will find that some Ryu have very flowery sounding names, perhaps referencing nature, which do not explicitly name the technique.

So some systems will borrow terminology from the likes of Judo and Aikido in a quest for clarity. For example in my Karate I may show a Karate kata application and state that this application is similar to what Judo people called an Osoto Gari or a wrist control similar to Nikkyo in Aikido.

I would get a Judo book like "Kodokan Judo", an Aikido book such as Gozo Shioda's and I think this will give a good basis for terminology, and the rest may be unique to whatever Koryu you study. Shizuya Satos' book Nihon Jujutsu is also alright.

I think you should beware however that some techniques may have the same name in different Ryu but be completely different techniques in practise. I know of multiple techniques called Yama Arashi and a number of techniques called Ichimonji or Jumonji.

I think you should also be aware of the usage of techniques changing, a simple technqiue such as a shoulder throw may have originally taken the arm in the Gyaku position, harming the shoulder, rather than the relatively safe way it is practised in Judo.

Hope that's useful in some way

Best wishes
    Simon
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

Thanks Simon!!

To be correct thats the Sensei of My Sensei. I just tought that this should not be about us. Besides there are many idiots out there looking for simple mistakes and make a tradgedy out of it and since I may not know some things and the persons mentioned would not be able to have their say.

Besides I hate braging..

Infact I looked in a koryu book i have with me, Judo on the internet, and Aiki Jujutsu on the internet and made some connections and the Jujutsu names I wanted are almost finalized!! at least now I can understand muc better.

Thanks for the help guys

allmost done
    Joseph Falzon

Likes (received)

Default Message

No problem Joseph (check your private messages)
    Simon
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk