Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why study swordsmanship?

Likes (received)

Anyways, This thread was finished when it started. Mr. Hyakutake when you see this do what you want with it, I apologize if in your eyes I've acted like a "troll" because I really haven't learned what "internet decorum" is. I was just being Honest to myself. Ban me, close the thread, Do what you want, It's your thread, and I'm the party pooper.

"In the society of the dishonest, an honest person is held for a fool."-sawaki kodo, guess he is right about that.
    Tom Karazozis
    °®«ËéÈ -Kanshiketsu!

Likes (received)

No,

Wartime atrocities, including Nanking, have always been part of warfare. Only in recent history do we see killing civilians as a no no.

Cultivating a strong spirit doesnt have jack to do with wartime atrocites.

Every civilization, strong spirit or no, commits wartime atrocities.

And a strong spirit can be had without commiting wartime atrocities.

Again we see that correlation does not equal causation. Just because the Japanese had "bushido" as their rallying cry, so to speak, does not mean that "bushido" was responsible for how they subjugated the populations.

Or look at it from the other end- Gengis Khan didn't have the "bushido code" and he did the same to cities that resisted him. Moses didnt have the "bushido code" and he wanted the Israelites to kill every man, woman, and child, except for the virgins, who they could "take".

Blaming "bushido" or whatever you want to call it, is taking a very narrow, uneducated view.
    Douglas Wylie

Do not learn philosophy from fortune cookie.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karazozis
    I really haven't learned what "internet decorum" is.
    Pretty much, saying something to someone on a forum that would get you slugged if you said it to them in person, is bad internet decorum.

Freak!
    grow up and break out of your little samurai fantasy honor crap
    You make me want to vaumit.
    You get all wet in your pants and go around sniffing their behind trying to show your presence to them, in French we call that "un liche cul
    Sir Elder protector of the mature language foundation.
    All of this would get you knocked on your rear in this part of the world. In my intemperate youth, I've put the quietus on people for far less. Nowadays my spirit is stronger, no need to fight for silly matters.

I'm not above throwing down for an especially smart mouth, though.
    Last edited by Douglas Wylie; 18th February 2007 at 21:13.
    Douglas Wylie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Wylie
    ...My standard response anytime the Chinese get to bitching about Nanking is- You did the same thing to Tibet...
    And they are still doing it today.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

OK, so coming off of someone equating pulling their pud to practicing swordsmanship, why do you practice?
    http://www.whc.net/rjones/USN/USN_team.html

Why do they practice?

Looks like dance to me.

Don--looks like he's ducking and running to me--Modesto
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

Default Spirit

Douglas

I completely agree with you. None of this fluffy faffing around. You got a message to say to someone and they're not listening....

HIJACK A COUPLE OF AIRCRAFT AND FLY THEM INTO TWO NEW YORK SKYSCRAPERS

What an admirable bit of budo spirit that was!
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Likes (received)

Dont they get perks for honor guard?
    Douglas Wylie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    And they are still doing it today.
    Here, here.

Some nerve.
    Douglas Wylie

Likes (received)

Wow, this thread went from swords, to nukes, to communists...!

Myself, I train not just with swords, I don't know how many here train only with swords, does this question touch other weapons as well?
    I train in them because it's part of the school, it also appeals to a side of me that enjoys the use of these specific type of weapons (as opposed to guns, rifles and tanks which I also did) and on some level it also allows me to experience a different aspect of life other then the modernity of Sydney. I also find it interesting, and a challenge, and I probably read too many fantasy books (probably still read too many of those but hey who cares?) And...and...and...
    I could give you a billions other small reasons that make my personality who it is, and you could probably rebuke each and every one of them simply on the basis that you want to (which is evident by the fact that you gave us only 8 options, you may be older and wiser then me but that simplification of the mind's reasons is naive in my opinion. no disrespect meant).

And in the end, if you don't mind me asking, why do you care about the reasons that I train in swords, is it really that important?
    -Amir Barak

"You get what you pay for, But I had no intention of living this way" - Adam Duritz

Likes (received)

That is how the bible teaches us to fight an enemy. So, it's pretty hypocritical to fault the Japanese, they were just fighting in the good olde Christian style. It is only in recent history that people take a dim view of waging war like that.
    Actually, that's not how the bible teaches Christian's to fight, that was the old testament referring to a specific situation to the Isrealites as they entered the promise land. A very specific situation - that had a specific command - probably because it was unique - not the normal way of waging battle.

That's not to say that civilian casualties were always avoided the way they are today in a more "enlightened" time. Today it's desireable to avoid civilian casualties if/when possible - the challenge we face today is how to do so without hamstringing the military. I'll not get into it farther than that . . . The point of my post is to say that it is not the "Christian way of warfare" to slaughter everyone; it wasn't even the Isrealites way - except during this specific period of time, and for a specific reason, and they could not carry it off because it was too foreign to them.

Steps off soapbox.

As to practicing swordsmanship, mastery in one area helps achieve mastery in another. In some of the martial systems as I understand them, the system is almost the same armed as unarmed - that is, the weapons are "extensions" of the person, and the techniques are similar with/without weapons. And ask yourself this question, if you were on a battlefield, and your rifle jammed, was lost, you ran out of ammunition. or some such other, but there was a piece of armour say three feet long and a couple of inches wide that had broken off an armoured vehicle nearby, would you pick that up and use if for a weapon?
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

Pretty much, saying something to someone on a forum that would get you slugged if you said it to them in person, is bad internet decorum.

All of this would get you knocked on your rear in this part of the world. In my intemperate youth, I've put the quietus on people for far less. Nowadays my spirit is stronger, no need to fight for silly matters.

I'm not above throwing down for an especially smart mouth, though.
    Do I smell agitation? Your right! Chika goro seishin ga tsuyoi.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNLMuijRyU you sure you didn't grow up in one of these?
    Tom Karazozis
    °®«ËéÈ -Kanshiketsu!

Likes (received)

Default Peculiar fellow...

Douglas,

Back to your question..

I train with swords to try to achieve 'mushin' or no mind. 'Mushin' helps me in Karate too when i fight since i enter very focused and without thought about the oponents size or skill.

Others might say that mushin can be trained in karate anyway but i find that using a katana has a different feeling to using my feet and fists, if you know what i mean.

All the best in being the 'E-Budo Usurper'

Marko Miletic
    Katsu!

The moon has no intent to cast
    Its shadow anywhere, nor does
    The pond design to lodge the moon.

Ito Ittosai

Likes (received)

For the fun of it, to develop concentration, grace, speed of mind and body, reaction times, tactics, mind games.. and I aspire to be a fight choreographer for a living, so I figure it'd help if I know how to use a sword without killing myself

Can't believe my thread asking for explanation got closed coz of people arguing. Was funny though.

Dan
    Dan Gould

Not yet rated (Rather comfy in the gi now, just waiting to look good in it)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma
    And in the end, if you don't mind me asking, why do you care about the reasons that I train in swords, is it really that important?
    Because there was nothing good on TV.

Not important at all.
    Douglas Wylie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jdostie
    The point of my post is to say that it is not the "Christian way of warfare" to slaughter everyone; it wasn't even the Isrealites way - except during this specific period of time, and for a specific reason, and they could not carry it off because it was too foreign to them.
    As long as the Catholic/Protestants/ etc... preach against things (like homosexuality) using the old testament as a basis, they claim all that is in it, whether they like it or not.

Deuteronomy
    20:13 And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:
    20:14 But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.
    20:15 Thus shalt thou do unto all the cities which are very far off from thee, which are not of the cities of these nations.
    20:16 But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
    Kill the men and "take" the women, unless the Lord deems the city of your inheritance, then kill everyone.
    Douglas Wylie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast