Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Karate Mom needs help!

Likes (received)

Default New Karate Mom needs help!

My eight year old daughter will be going to Disney World next October--in classical karate. She wants to do kata kusanku with Okinawan hairpins (ji-kuwa, gifa, kanzashi, jifua). This was mainly because we read that it was said that Hohan Soken practiced this kata with the hairpins. However, after recently talking to an elder Grand Master that learned under Hohan Soken we were told this was not the case. We are unable to find these older style ji-kuwas anywhere.
    Any thoughts to help us out? Or comments?
    Thank you, Sharyn Rohder
    Sharyn Rohder

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by dancingbears101
    My eight year old daughter will be going to Disney World next October--in classical karate. She wants to do kata kusanku with Okinawan hairpins (ji-kuwa, gifa, kanzashi, jifua). This was mainly because we read that it was said that Hohan Soken practiced this kata with the hairpins. However, after recently talking to an elder Grand Master that learned under Hohan Soken we were told this was not the case. We are unable to find these older style ji-kuwas anywhere.
    Any thoughts to help us out? Or comments?
    Thank you, Sharyn Rohder
    Hello Sharyn,

You mentioned that you're new to karate, thus I can assume so is your 8 year old daughter ? What style of Karate does your daughter train ? and how long has she been training.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Sasha has been practicing Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Karate for eight months, kenpo for three months and Tai Chee for three months. Obviously not only am I new but dumb also as I ended up in the Baghdad Forum. Forgive me! Obviously this poor child needs help!
    Thank you,
    Sharyn Rohder
    Sharyn Rohder

Likes (received)

Sasha has been practicing Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Karate for eight months, kenpo for three months and Tai Chee for three months. Obviously not only am I new but dumb also as I ended up in the Baghdad Forum. Forgive me! Obviously this poor child needs help!
    Thank you,
    Sharyn Rohder

Ok, I'll try, here's a bit of my dilemma if you can call it that. What I have is that your daughter having trained only for 8 months and "she" wants to do a Kusanku kata, I think Kusanku is a bit difficult for her. Again, I could be wrong as Kusanku in our system is not even taught to beginners.

Have you thought of perhaps one of the Pinan kata ? Another thing is what does her instructor has to say. I am sorry for all these questions, but I am bit confused here.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Yes, Sasha wants to do kusanku. Her Grand Master says if she will train hard, that there are many forms of kusanku-- one for a young person to start with, maybe different for me and yet different for a very experienced person. Possibly because she wants to use ji-kuwas as her weapons (moot point if we can not find them!) and as I said she heard that this kata was practiced with them. Please ask any questions, we are eager to learn but the more we learn the more we know nothing.
    Thank you,
    Sharyn Rohder
    Sharyn Rohder

Likes (received)

I can't find kids performing good traditional Kusanku Kata, So at this time this is what I can offer you.

Kusanku of Shito Ryu Karate

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=kusanku&hl=en

Kusanku of Shotokan A.K.A Kanku Dai

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=kusanku&hl=en

Kusanku of Matsubayashi Ryu ( Shorin Ryu)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yqc09a1SdE

Hope these helps, As for the weapons, I'd say let her instructor take his picks as to what's best for her/
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

I thank you sir for the information. However, I think she must use a weapon she can embrace. She is a little girl, in this country for eighteen months, adopted from a Russian orpanage. She is a very strong Russian woman with the most incredible outlook on life. I think this is what makes her a dedicated martial artist at her age.
    Thank you,
    Sharyn Rohder
    Sharyn Rohder

Likes (received)

I thank you sir for the information. However, I think she must use a weapon she can embrace. She is a little girl, in this country for eighteen months, adopted from a Russian orpanage. She is a very strong Russian woman with the most incredible outlook on life. I think this is what makes her a dedicated martial artist at her age.
    Thank you,
    Sharyn Rohder
    You're welcome Sharyn, The closest I could think is the "tecchu" or Okinawan version of the Brass Knuckle, since I know absolutelly nothing about it. I guess the safest weapon I could think for a child her age might have to be the Rokushakubo (depending on her height, there's are many sizes available) or even the Hanbo.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo