Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 10 things never to do at basic training...

Likes (received)

You are evil!!

I'm going to use that one next time I see a kid heading off to boot camp.....
    Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

That is just soooo not right...

B,
    R

Likes (received)

The old pneumatic! I was prepping to go on cruise (NROTC) and I had to report to the supply office for my shots. They told me to take off my shirt. I unbuttoned the shirt and flipped it over my shoulders to slide it off my arms. The minute it cleared the t-shirt they hit me from both sides. It wasn't until I went to do some push-ups a few hours later that the muscles locked up on me!
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

I have heard, though I haven't varified it, that the services have gone back to old fashioned needles. Something about concerns over "backsplash" contamination of the guns and HIV/Hepatitis precautions.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

The second time (and most recent) I endured the comedic 2x2 basic training immunizations was @ Lackland AFB, TX in 2003.... they used regular needles...seems like 4 shots in the arms and one in the right cheek...fun to march and run with the golfball size bulge of penicillin in your glute...

At Ft. Benning, GA in '99 I believe they were using the guns as opposed to needles, with the exception of the penicillin, again fun to march and run for a few days after the that one...

Square needles hehehehe, thats as bad as when they say there are high doses of salt-peter in the Kool-Aid in chow line. They say it is added to keep trainees and recruits sterile. Ironically taking showers with 60 other men works just as well for some folks.
    Chris S. Aitken
    Somewhere in the Bujinkan

Likes (received)

At Fort Benning it was needles and these snort tubes. That was 4 months ago soooo...

2 weeks getting processed! 2 FRIGGIN WEEKS before they shipped me off to basic!
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    OPEN 24 hours, 7 days a week,
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Holeton
    6. if at Fort Benning NEVER hunt the endangered wildlife (rangers keep eating the Red-headed Cockaded Woodpecker)
    I have never eaten one, but I do remember going to the live-fire ranges and being told we couldn't do our live-fire because of that woodpecker. We were only allowed to do the crawl and walk portion of the crawl-walk-run process (crawl = just talking about it while walking the objective; walk = doing it with blanks; run = live-fire).

I did hear about some guys using blanks to shoot cleaning rods at the birds just to be rebels.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Oddly enough, I had THREE woodpeckers on my house Saturday morning that had taken a thorough liking to my rain gutters.

Most effective alarm clock ever....
    Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shitoryu Dude
    ...I had THREE woodpeckers on my house Saturday morning that had taken a thorough liking to my rain gutters.
    Uh oh. Better get an inspection.

Woodpeckers can sense the presence of insects in wood, and rarely peck where there isn't a food source. You may have carpenter ants or other vermin.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Not only is the house only 18 months old, there really isn't any exposed wood for bugs to get into. The siding is Hardyplank, the shingles are asphalt, and the gutters are aluminum.

From what I read online they were most likely establishing territory for the spring. Supposedly they will find something to peck on that makes a loud noise and use it to warn males to stay away and to attract a mate. Once they got started making noise, two of them flew away after a few minutes and the remaining one began pecking very infrequently.
    Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shitoryu Dude
    Not only is the house only 18 months old, there really isn't any exposed wood for bugs to get into. The siding is Hardyplank, the shingles are asphalt, and the gutters are aluminum.
    Good to hear. Even though termites aren't much of a problem here, carpenter ants can be so one needs to be careful.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    Uh oh. Better get an inspection.

Woodpeckers can sense the presence of insects in wood, and rarely peck where there isn't a food source. You may have carpenter ants or other vermin.
    They can hear them. They have an "ear" on the tip of their tongue in addition to the normal places, that they use to track bugs through wood.
    Trevor Johnson

Low kicks and low puns a specialty.

Likes (received)

When asked "how are you?"

Never reply....

delicious
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    OPEN 24 hours, 7 days a week,
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Ghost Cat Guest

One thing never to do at basic training.

When they hit you with the surprise test to see if you can get your mask on in time (you guys that have been there know how they do it) do not let your mask near anyone having trouble with opening their carrier.

They tried the first method of testing, but someone seems to have known the drill and it wasn't until I got out that I realized why the idiot did what he did. But of course, they could not do it as planned. So they hit us during a series of reverse marches. Some guy could not get his carrier open and grabbed one out of the hands of someone else.

Article 15 on the spot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2