Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Samual Sword Kata"

Likes (received)

Default "Samual Sword Kata"

Make it stop!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR4oYJ3Nvuw

Posted by someone on Youtube who seems to be affiliated with "Kobushi Karate Club"..I hope they dont teach this kind of "swordsmanship".
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

When I lived in Colorado, I would often go to TKD tournys, to support friends. There would always be some tkd guy in a hakama, that would perform a TKD Katana routine, that would be just awful, and scary too! If I had photoshop, Id make an animtaed gif of that guy with a baseball bat, "HE SWINGS< ITS OUTTA HEREEEE!".
    Jon Gillespie

Likes (received)

To the sword-guys credit, he at least performed rei...wont remove the fact he looks like he is doing it (swordwork) to impress the girls

*edit*

If I'm not mistaken, when he places his right hand on the tsuka just before the first draw he actually has a fairly good grip on it and not baseball-bat style. (looked that way to me). Maybe he has some basic (VERY basic) iai/sword-training? The rest looks like rubbish though.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Because when I want to show my skillz, I always perform iai in jeans and a polo shirt and leave the saya on the gym floor.

I think the first poster had it right. Make it stop. Someone please, make it stop.

Phil Hobson

Likes (received)

Default Sandan in 8 years?

Thier website shows a connection to Kanazawa.
    Typically I would not say anything but, I see listings
    for 3 Sandan who achieved thier rank in 8 years.
    In most Ryuha I know of, it takes a minimum of 4
    years to get to Shodan. Second and third dans in 4 years?

www.kobushi.co.uk

Peace
    Ray Baldonade
    Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu

"Love many, trust few and do wrong to none". Chan Yau-man

Likes (received)

It's just another kid doing karate "weapons kata" junk. It has absolutely nothing to do with Japanese sword arts, yet people always go on about how they are doing things wrong, moving wrong, holding the sword wrong, etc ... Other people get upset about how it "makes us all look bad!" Come on people, it has nothing at all to do with legitimate Japanese sword arts. It's a dance routine using a very light aluminum sword-shaped object as a prop. Some that I've seen have been very tricky, athletically challenging, and pretty to watch. Others have looked like various versions of the Star Wars kid. None of them have had anything to do with the Japanese sword arts that I practice. I also don't perform my practice based on what others may think of me so that doesn't bother me either. It does perplex me why so many people wish to hunt these videos down, and then point and laugh. We should never forget that to the average heavy weight boxer, our putting on a dress and playing with a pretend sword would make him point and laugh hysterically.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Thank you Mr. Smith. It warms my heart to see someone with a bit of perspective.
    Brian J. Balduff

Likes (received)

I regularly surf what's being posted, and that kid was very normal to what's out there.

Among which are:

Sword Stunts Vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKplmqxMQD0

If I remember right the kid's wearing gloves in this one becasue he's catching the bare blade....hmmm, now that's real sword work.

Sword Symphony
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnf8aWjJ7R0

You'll also find sword work in these video's.

diamond nationals 1,2, 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrkDw...elated&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3Ah...elated&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vl-ACc5GgQ

Isn't freedom wonderful?
    Victor Smith
    Bushi No Te Isshinryu
    www.funkydragon.com/bushi

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith
    It does perplex me why so many people wish to hunt these videos down, and then point and laugh. We should never forget that to the average heavy weight boxer, our putting on a dress and playing with a pretend sword would make him point and laugh hysterically.
    Please forgive my horrible crime, nobodys perfect. I'll go punish myself by posting some clips of serious martial arts practitioners and going "ooo! his technique is the essence of enlightenment". After that I'll return and post other clips of other Last Samurai wannabes and give out a hearty chuckle or two.
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

Perform ipponme one hundred times as atonement and you will be forgiven!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith
    Perform ipponme one hundred times as atonement and you will be forgiven!
    Woohoo! You make it sound like a punishment
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

this one is also very very good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj1f8RbyJ4g
    Pete Martin

Likes (received)

If koryu kata evolve on the battelfield, eg, the survivors techniques were preserved. Will these 'kata' go the same way in a darwinian kind of way?
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by yoj
    If koryu kata evolve on the battelfield, eg, the survivors techniques were preserved. Will these 'kata' go the same way in a darwinian kind of way?
    Thats the non-beauty of it...Had this above kind of kata been developed, and tested, in the Warring-era it would have vanished quickly..But since we are in the modern non-warring era (not warring with swords anyways) there is no sure way to stop the further developing and spreading of these kinds of "techniques".
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

Nah, IMO, it won't last because its driven by "taste" as soon as the judges and audience for such events get bored and are looking for something "new" the techniques will change.

It's not actual use or effectiveness that drives such things----its performence appeal.

Its fluff, the martial equivlent of cotten-candy---looks good, even tastes good---for a while anyway, but you can't live on it.

As long as people don't try to claim what they do IS actual swordsmanship, then I guess its ok with me.......if a cheap plastic trophey is worth so much to somebody that they abandon all pretense of real techniques and applications and pander to the crowd to get it.......well, ok, that is their choice after all.

Just don't ask me to respect it or keep my opinions about it to myself.

They have a right to make choices and so do I.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast