Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Not getting Hit!!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bu-kusa
    I've never seen a frail, old and weak man defeat a strong, aggressive and hardened fighter.

http://video.google.co.uk/url?docid=...G1JfMEmrv_mjkQ

Its all in the tactics,
    What exactly are you trying to say here??? Royce is anything BUT a frail, old, weak man...

I don't understand...

-DW

Likes (received)

In terms of raw strength size and aggressiveness he was inferior to the karateka, but his skill, tactics, and conditioning let him win with ease. Ok its not the best example :-) but you get the idea.
    Paul Greaves
    ''Skill is aquired via sweat equity''

Likes (received)

In terms of raw strength size and aggressiveness he was inferior to the karateka, but his skill, tactics, and conditioning let him win with ease. Ok its not the best example :-) but you get the idea.
    Really?

I didn't see anything even close to that in that fight.

There are better examples.

However - it is hard to find an example of a little older frail man whipping the crap out of a younger seasoned fighter.

I think the point that is being made is that most of the shihan setup a situation where it isn't equal grounds (on purpose, I know). If you think that saying - punch me as hard and fast as you can... and a fight are the same thing... then you will be amazed at their ability as well.

;-)

THe give and take... change of the shape and space - and adaptation to movement is considerably different than a teacher student - punch when you want to... scenario.

Anyway. That should ruffle some feathers. ;-)

-Daniel

Kent, England (currently working in Australia)
    Likes (received)

So very well put, Daniel.

Saying what you think in an honest fashion doesn't have to sound disrespectful or arrogant.

Good on you.

Joe Jackson.

Likes (received)

A couple of news stories that demonstrate the age is no barrier to self defense, (if you put the work in when your young)

Three men tried to rob 60-year-old Aage Piltingsrud by ambushing him with an iron bar. Piltingsrud doesn't think they'll try again.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1406915.ece

70-year-old ex-SAS Soldier Tackles Four Muggers and Wins
    http://www.theodoresworld.net/archiv...er_tackle.html
    Paul Greaves

Likes (received)

I agree with Daniel, the chances of takamatsu and Hatsumi actually fighting each other full on is unlikely. Far more likely Hatsumi was simply impressed by Takamatsu's technique. on the other hand I have seen one or two quite elderly judoka, and all I can say is... ouch, those guys were nasty...

A couple of news stories that demonstrate the age is no barrier to self defense, (if you put the work in when your young)
    none of those people were 5th dan Judoka.
    Michael Kelly

Ironically neither a Niten Ichi practitioner or in fact a ninja.

Likes (received)

You are missing the point:

I said, "However - it is hard to find an example of a little older frail man whipping the crap out of a younger seasoned fighter."

Older men winning against what appears to be idiots doesn't refute my point.

And it isn't likely that you are going to get stories of the opposite... because they are expected. If a 28 yr old MMA fighter beats up a 75 yr old boxer - it doesn't make the news....

-Daniel

Likes (received)

I think iv been unclear about what iv posted, my point is, if you want to be "good" the only way is through hard and difficult training, but that it isnt only based on conditioning, alive training helps your timing distance and balance more then solo kata ever will.
    Paul Greaves

Kent, England (currently working in Australia)
    Likes (received)

But the unfortunate truth is that, when you are old and frail, you are no longer in a position to properly defend yourself against someone who knows how to fight and is in their prime. This isn't something that only we 'enlightened' martial artists can answer. It is the bleeding obvious. Let the little green men land in Time Square and officially announce their arrival here on Earth ;-)

A gang of thugs that ambushes an old man is not there to fight him. It is there to get his money and run (either that or it IS there to fight him and so he dies). A while ago, an old lady here in Australia took to a robber in her house with a One Wood. She didn't wield the golf stick like an expert Kukishinden Ryu rokusyaku bojutsu practitioner, but the thief ran. Good on her, but that event certainly does not prove that old and frail people can mix it with hardened street fighters. Seriously, now.

And as far as the whole 'Takamatsu and Hatsumi fighting each other' scenario goes, wouldn't one or the other have ended up horribly injured or dead?

I did read that Hatsumi battles Takamatsu in his dreams every night. He didn't say who usually wins, though...

Joe Jackson.

Likes (received)

The old boxer may not of won a boxing match against Amir Khan but it was enough to "fight off" his attackers, im sure he is happy with that. Besides the forty odd year old Randy Coutre still does beat many mma fighters who are in their twenties, its not just conditioning, its experience and hard training. I imagine there is a bell curve effect overall though. :-)
    Paul Greaves

Likes (received)

Wink

One of the things I've learned in my 30 years of Bujutsu is this. Old age and treachery will win out over youth and vigor every time.
    christopher knepper

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by aikiokami
    One of the things I've learned in my 30 years of Bujutsu is this. Old age and treachery will win out over youth and vigor every time.
    Fair enough.

What about young and treacherous?

;-)

Anyway - this is not going to be a productive discussion.

-Daniel

Likes (received)

In the 'perhaps of some benefit' department:

When a human body throws a punch, the whole body is involved. My technique changed considerably when I started thinking about how my training partners were moving from the feet up, instead of focusing on the bit that was likely to smack into me. For example, most folk I've trained with when swinging wide on the right have tended to keep their left arm in close and come up on the toes of their left foot of their *own* volition, which saves me some work if I want to take advantage of that opportunity.

So far as never getting hit is concerned, however; I have found that if I can minimize the impact there are definitely some surprising avenues which open up for me when I view taking blows as a mechanism for leveraging my opponent's body mass. I can handle a few bruises if it means getting uke on the ground and squealing a little sooner.

As always, however, chew the meat and spit out the bones.
    Carl Hamlin
    -----------------------------------------
    'The etiquette that underlies all martial arts is based on the assumption that the person with whom you are dealing is standing before you wearing three feet of razor sharp steel.' - George Ledyard

Likes (received)

what an old post.

anyway the best way to not get hit is to watch how a boxer fights. if you want to avoid getting hit you need to move like a boxer. if you move in any other way you are going to get hit. no lunge punching going on out there. haymakers and boxing style punches all the way.
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4