Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: E-Budo History

Likes (received)

Question E-Budo History

Does E-Budo have a birthday ? Founders ? Motivations ? Lineage first members or member, what did e-budo looked like ? , who were the original moderators and administrators ?.. Inquiring minds wants to know.....
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Don't have any of the answers to your questions, but here's a little bit of e-budo history for you ...
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Bwahahaha
    I remember that like it was yesterday. I snorted out tea all over the keyboard back then, and you almost got me to do it again, except this time I was eating yoghurt.

Wonder what ever happened to Popei. Then again, it's better not to.

Thanks for the blast from the past.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Way back, before the First Crash, Guy Power talked me into signing up. It's all Guy's fault. Meanwhile, my wife was demanding to know if there was something she needed to know, me getting e-mail from Guy Power...

Anyway, I was number 666. I always liked that number.

Likes (received)

I remember those days of antiquity, before the First Crash. I think that E-Budo was the first non-ListServ venue I'd ever signed onto. Didn't realize that we have Guy Power to thank for being the Serpent on the Tree of Temptation, coercing Joe Svinth, Master of Archival and Encyclopedic Data (and manipulator of copyrighted graphic materials ), into subscribing to E-Budo.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I got blamed for that darn cartoon, and it was one of Toby's students who did the bugging thing.

On the other hand, I actually met some really good people who became friends if not then drinking buddies, read functional alcoholics.

I was there for the first big crash, as well as all the following ones.

Can't contribute anything of historical value, but it's been a lot of fun.

Likes (received)

Wow ! Looking at the cartoons, I see a lot of the E-Budo heavyweights ( Experience-wise, not the actual physical weight) ...

So whatever happens to these E-budo pioneers such Meik Skoss, Diane Skoss, Toby Threadgill, David Lowry ??...etc

I want to hear, come on guys get off your metamucil and start reminiscing...
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Not sure when I joined but it was before the first crash, maybe before Y2K. Power went off to war and the site crashed for quite a period then came back and again crashed for another long period of time. It took me a while to remember the site until I found my handle listed in e-Budo on Google. Mark F. and Don C. have been here all the time I think.

BTW, what ever happened to Guy Power?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Loeffler
    So whatever happens to these E-budo pioneers such Meik Skoss, Diane Skoss, Toby Threadgill, David Lowry ??...etc

I want to hear, come on guys get off your metamucil and start reminiscing...
    Too many numpties kept on arguing with the aforementioned good people. Either that or marginalizing their training. Almost everyone left, with the exception of Diane Skoss. Meik usually posts on the iaido-l.

Likes (received)

It all started July 27, 1999. I was either the second or third member and I didn't even join

BTW, the First Big Crash was around May 2000.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

I joined sometime in 2001? I can't remember, and I had te re-register after one of the small crashes, so my current "join date" tells lies. I had only been training for 18 months or so - I think I was a yellow or green belt at the time. Didn't stop me posting like I knew what I was talking about though...

Popei had gone by then, but was still talked about in hushed, reverent tones. Appearing on the horizon were Brian Demache and ACAMAC. Aah, happy days.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Too many numpties kept on arguing with the aforementioned good people. Either that or marginalizing their training. Almost everyone left, with the exception of Diane Skoss.
    Yup!
    It's very easy for people with strong opinions and little knowledge to argue with those from whom they should be learning. I think it would surprise many people how many well known names still cruise through to have a read on occassion. I know that Dave Lowry and Karl Friday still do. I don't think Meik Skoss still bothers though, and Toby Threadgill stopped completely due to one particularly irritating individual. Ellis Amdur still leaves a post on occassion as well as Kim Taylor. Haven't heard anything from Nathan Scott or Guy Power in a while though.
    I got blamed for that darn cartoon ...
    That's normal Neil, you usually got blamed for everything! (With pretty good reason I might add!)
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

I don't think Meik Skoss still bothers though
    Every once in a blue moon I'll reference a thread here to Meik at training if someone is specifically looking for an answer from him.

I get the feeling, though, that he doesn't really come through here much on his own anymore.

Kevin Cantwell

Likes (received)

Nathan moderates the Aikijujutsu forum here, and posts now and then. Some (including Ellis Amdur) lurk and occasionally post on AikiWeb, a site devoted to Aikido run by the capable Jun Akiyama.

I first logged on E-Budo shortly after it started in 1999. Word got around that there was this site, and I was curious to see what kind of martial artists would post there. Turned out to be a treasure trove of Big Names (along with the inevitable trolls and dweezers for "color"). When the site crashed, I wandered in a fog until August, when someone on a list serve (either aikido-l or jujutsu-l) let me know that E-Budo was back up.

And, what's a "numptie"? I struggle to keep up with the jargon.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Wow such memories As for me, I am not sure exactly if my join date is correct. I found E-budo while seaching for, you guess it ! "BUDO".

If I remember correctly, I was reprimanded on my first post for NOT including MY real name... on top of that I was labeled as a troll, Now if only I could remember THAT person.

What fond memories I have of E-Budo'd yesteryears ??..... The Jukokai saga, Don Cunningham, ACAMAC, Bruceb and of course Tony "It is not "Gi" " well you know his last name....
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast