Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Timeline of Karate History - Pre-History to 2000

Likes (received)

Default Timeline of Karate History - Pre-History to 2000

“Timeline of Karate History - Pre-History to 2000”
    by Hokama Tetsuhiro (trans. By Joe Swift)

I just received a copy of Hokama Tetsuhiro’s “Timeline of Karate History”, translator Charles Joseph Swift. I am finding it an extremely valuable work on the history of Okinawan Karate.

Hokama Tetsuhiro Sensei is the Founder and Curator of the Okinawa Karate Museum (opened in 1987), a senior Goju instructor, holds a PhD in Physical Education and is a man of many accomplishments in Okinawa. From many requests for information he received over the years he decided to compile a Karate Timeline, from the sources at his command. He is also the author of “100 Masters of Okinawan Karate”, also translated by Joe Swift.

The Timeline of Karate History is a very detailed listing of the Okinawa’s public record of karate history, events and publications. Far less information pre-WWII, and far greater depth decade by decade after WWII.

If you really want to see the scope of things that have happened in Okinawa from the public record, this book is invaluable.

It doesn’t explain how to do anything. But it tells you in the 18th and 19th century over 1,400 shipwrecks occurred on Okinawa, making rescuing sailors a regular event. When you keep that in mind some of the legends such as Chinto’s become ever more plausible.
    Or that in 1985 the 3rd stage of martial arts in the Okinawan schools began.

Not a history of any of our styles, but what the Okinawan’s were doing, where they were going, what was being published, and how frequently our individual systems surfaced on the Okinawan event horizon.

In fact it makes the earlier book “100 Masters of Okinawan Karate” and invaluable side reference to help keep the names straight.

This is a private publication that you can only obtain from the author. I’m attaching Joe Swift’s announcement about the details below.

There are very few books available from the Okinawan’s in English. To hear karate’s history from their vantage is priceless, if you have an interest in what happened when on Okinawa.

Having a bit of an extensive martial collection myself, one thing you see is books that you bought before often are no longer available. Most martial publication efforts are one time printings.

When you read this book one thing that strikes you is how many books have been written that are not available in English and are quite difficult to obtain in any case. There are a small group of translators and martial artists, such as Joe Swift, who are laboring to make these works available. We have a great deal to thank all of them for their efforts.

Pleasantly,

Victor Smith
    bushi no te isshinryu
    derry, nh, usa

An English translation of Hokama Tetsuhiro Sensei's "Timeline of Karate History" is now available, fresh from the printers today! 1000 copies were printed.

The cost for overseas orders are USD $30.00, which includes shipping from Japan via air mail.

Please send requests for orders to:

Mr. Tetsuhiro Hokama
    c/o Okinawa Goju-ryu Kenshikai
    147-2 Uehara, Nishihara
    Okinawa 903-0125 JAPAN

Payment Method:
    1. International Postal Money Order payable in USD
    2. USD Cash via registered mail.

Please note that personal checks, bank drafts and domestic postal money orders are not accepted, nor is payment by credit card.

Orders will be shipped upon receipt of payment.

Also, please note that Mr. Hokama will be out of the country from March 13-27 and again in May, so orders that are received while he is out of town will be processed upon his return.

Please contact Joe Swift to discuss possible bulk orders.

Thank you and best regards.

Joe Swift
    Tokyo
    bujutsu_translations@yahoo.com
    Victor Smith
    Bushi No Te Isshinryu
    www.funkydragon.com/bushi

Likes (received)

Mr. Smith,

Can we get an order together for all of those interested here?
    I wouldn't mind sending you the money so you can send as one large sum.

Just a thought.

Best regards,
    Ray Baldonade
    Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu

"Love many, trust few and do wrong to none". Chan Yau-man

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyuck3X
    Mr. Smith,

Can we get an order together for all of those interested here?
    I wouldn't mind sending you the money so you can send as one large sum.

Just a thought.

Best regards,
    Good idea. I'd be interested as well.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Same here.
    Joe Stitz

"Black belt and white belt are the same, white belt is the beginning of technique. Black belt is the beginning of understanding. Both are beginner belts."
    - Doug Perry -Hanshi, KuDan -Shorin Ryu ShorinKan

Likes (received)

For those of you interested in ordering stateside, we'll have the book in stock later this month:

http://budovideos.com/shop/customer/...roductid=24569

Likes (received)

Jake, thank you for that information. I think it's great you're carrying it.

Another choice would be to contact Joe Swift about group orders at Joe Swift Tokyo bujutsu_translations@yahoo.com

It apears when you include shipping and handling the prices are about the same.
    Victor Smith
    Bushi No Te Isshinryu
    www.funkydragon.com/bushi

Likes (received)

Tetsuhiro Sensei's book; "History and Traditions of Okinawan Karate" was excellent too. (HIGHLY recommend this book). I would also be interested in his latest!
    Edward Koschmider

Likes (received)

Just a friendly heads-up.

I just got notifiction that this book is currently available
    at www.budovideos.com.

Cheers!
    Ray Baldonade
    Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu

"Love many, trust few and do wrong to none". Chan Yau-man