Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Enbu format

Likes (received)

Default Enbu format

Hi all,

I haven't had much of an opportunity to view many sword-related enbu in person, but I have watched all sorts of things on the Internet, and I did manage to catch the Meiji Jingu demonstration in Tokyo last November. One thing I have noticed in my all-too-short travels is a bit of a different focus between embu in Japan and enbu in North America.

While attending at Meiji Jingu, most schools put on demonstrations using a multitude of students performing various different aspects of the art with the sensei taking a more background role, or at least not being the focus. In many cases, I had no idea if the dojo sensei was even demonstrating, and in some I was sure they were not (in one case, it turned out that the gentleman sitting next to me with the bad leg and a cane was the headmaster of that particular style, and Otake Ritsuke of Katori Shinto ryu was also absent, leaving the demonstration to his son). This can be seen in many of the YouTube videos graciously put up by Mekugi that were taken during his travels. Many intermediate and senior students performing kata, waza, etc, and even some relatively junior students.

I have not been able to find very many full demonstration videos from North American schools, as they seem to instead prefer to put up either staged and edited promotional videos, or short 30-second clips that do not give any real context. (Perhaps everybody is worried of being ripped to shreds on public forums like this? Heh) However, I have found the following from the Dojo of the Four Winds with James Williams, and Shinkendo with Obata Toshihiro. In that order, they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Q1rfLJigQ (six and a half minutes)

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...22&q=shinkendo (eight minutes, with some interesting French commercials afterward)

Both of these videos are impressive, but I notice that the focus is almost entirely on the headmaster of the style. I am not struck with the same "Hey, that person is good" reaction in these videos because I *expect* the headmaster of the style to be good at what they do.

I did think that of Mr. Obata's partner in his video, but if I am not mistaken she is his daughter and so probably has been training since she was very small and is thus better than most of us will ever be anyway. The rest of the Shinkendo students spent the entire enbu as window-dressing, or as extras setting up cutting targets. In the Nami ryu video, I felt that the students demonstrating bokken waza were acting as filler while the cutting targets were set up again for Mr. Williams. (again, by surplus students)

Now two videos isn't much to go on, and I freely admit that my perception here may be entirely skewed and these particular enbu are exceptions. nonetheless, I am wondering if this is a common thing. When your schools do public enbu, do you try to have as many students as possible involved, or do you try to make the most impressive showing possible by having the most senior, most skilled person (often, but not necessarily the sensei) as the focus of all the attention?

If there are many schools that focus on the sensei, I would be curious to find out if this is a regional phenomenon (Asia versus North America, for example) or a... hmm.. a "gendai" thing? (In my above examples, both Nami ryu and Shinkendo are modern amalgamations of koryu arts, and at Meiji Jingu the Toyama ryu dojo had one person doing more than most, though many students were still involved)

My personal preference from a viewers perspective is to have as many students involved as possible. From this I can get some idea of how good the instructor is at passing on his or her knowledge. With a focus on one person, for all I know I am just watching somebody who was born with a knack for it.

I am not interested in discussing the merits of the particular enbu or sensei linked above, or how things were performed. Just the format and focus behind it.

As an aside, what is the generally accepted term for referring to a sensei that you do not train under? I have seen people outside of the relevant arts refer to Mr. Williams and Mr. Obata both by their full names, and as Williams-sensei and Obata-sensei. Is it appropriate or suggested to use the -sensei title for an instructor of another style? I have defaulted to using names above, but if anybody considers that inappropriate I apologize.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

James Lyall

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jlyall
    ...Is it appropriate or suggested to use the -sensei title for an instructor of another style?
    I generally refer to high-ranking teachers of known systems as "So-and-so Sensei," even if I have never trained under them. Some other instructors I might refer to by first and last name, especially if I am unsure of their position or title. "Mr. So-and-so" sounds a little stilted to me, and I would use first name only, of course, only with or about someone with whom I was personally aquainted.

I don't know of any hard and fast rule about it; for me it's just a matter of showing respect where I think it's due.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Embu

When members of our dojo have been called on to do a public demonstration, we try to ensure that we actually gain something by doing the embu. This means nobody does window dressing and we all get more of less the same amount of demonstration exposure as possible.

Speaking frankly, when we are involved in BKA iaido demos I always feel that there are too many people demonstrating at the same time and it becomes too busy. When we do a jodo demo, only one pair will demonstrate at a time. Thereby even we do a demo at a fairly large event (Seni for example) there will be rarely more than four of us doing jodo.

While I think it is good to demonstrate the various levels of the students, I am a firm believer that if one wishes to impart something of the true nature of the martial arts to the general public then less is more.
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Likes (received)

Im not sure if thats a gendai -koryu dfference, but in a way that makes sense.

Most koryu embu in Japan are at temples or shrines, and although some are open to the public, the embu is not meant for the public, and the sensei takes a smaller role in solo kata,and the uchitachi role in paired work.

In our public demonstrations in the USA we use the same formula, usually starting the embu with studens wth the least amount of experince doing the basics, moving up to advanced students doing more advanced tecnique, and usually finishing with the most senior students woking on their highest level techniques if paired, or the instructor doing some high level solo kata.

This is not done with the feeling of "this is what it was building up to", but instead to allow the audience to see some progression, and also since the instructor should have the most amount of knowledge, he can do enbu after everyone else without repeating a technique.

Of the koryu I have been exposed to it is always obvious that the ryu is what is important, not one individual, this is visible in demonstrations as well.
    Paul Manogue
    Yagyu Shin Kage Ryu Hyo Ho
    www.yagyu-ryu.com
    Aikido
    www.renseikandojo.com

Likes (received)

I usually try and set up demos for the public so they can understand what is happening, ie one student will do an iai 'solo' kata, and two (or more depending on technique) will copy with bokken/fukuri shinai immediately after. Then build up to paired techniques, where I try and get as many students on as possible doing the same thing together.
    Shrine enbu and public demos are different though as noted below... for shrines we do individual or paired only with no 'explanation students'. The public just happen to be looking on (if anyone is about of course...). Does that make sense?
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Here is an example of a typical embu as we do them in the Komei Juku. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymNYM92ZJA
    Sekiguchi sensei will usually demonstrate a few kata and then let the students take over. Certain kata are also not allowed in embu, such as kaishaku.
    If you understand, things are just as they are...
    If you do not understand, things are just as they are.
    -Zen proverb

Likes (received)

Thanks for all the replies so far, everyone. Based on the responses it seems that ensemble demonstrations are the norm, which is what I expected. I would still be very interested to hear from a member of a school that demonstrates with a "star", so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by paul manogue
    Im not sure if thats a gendai -koryu dfference, but in a way that makes sense.
    Can you elaborate on that a bit? I was just throwing out ideas, and have no idea how much sense my theories make so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Watson
    Speaking frankly, when we are involved in BKA iaido demos I always feel that there are too many people demonstrating at the same time and it becomes too busy. When we do a jodo demo, only one pair will demonstrate at a time. Thereby even we do a demo at a fairly large event (Seni for example) there will be rarely more than four of us doing jodo.
    I have actually noticed, and been annoyed by, that sort of thing as well. Different people doing different things at the same time, for me, only serves to make me confused and give me eyestrain because I am trying to watch too many things at once and cannot process all of the information that I am seeing. I actually come away having seen nothing, rather than having seen two or three things.

Meiji Jingu was very difficult for me. Even if each school demonstrates one thing at a time, there were always two schools demonstrating simultaneously. At one time, a dojo had three or four pairs of students in a row all performing different sets of waza, as well as a different school demonstrating something else right beside them. I think it was more stressful for me, in the audience, to try to keep up with everything that was going on than it was for the people doing the demonstration.

James Lyall

Likes (received)

As for Shinkendo, there are many other demonstrations that don't follow this model. Actualy I think Bercy (the video in question) is special as it is more some kind of MA show, where they invite high ranking members to demonstrate their skills (Actualy most arts had the highest ranking member present in France to demonstrate).

Normaly the students do the most part, in groups or in pair or alone. There are many other videos of demonstrations on the net wich would have shed a light on your interrogations.

Likes (received)

If I could add a few yeans worth......

Certain Embu are primarily for the ryu as a whole to show what they are up to both in Japan and abroad. Others are for selected members of the ryu to demonstrate its finer poins to a high degree.

Then of course we have shrine embu where everyone does there best to honor the gods. And Mohan Engi.. A demonstration done by senoirs before a grading to demonstrate what they should be trying to acheive in taking a grade in all aspects.

The main problem now seems to be that of time. There are now limitations of around eight minutes to do your stuff. ardly enough time to walk to the centre and do etiquette let alone the embu. Nowadays we use a stop watch to fit in what we want to do into the alloted time.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Folks:

As Colin says. Shrine enbu seem to offer the most time IMO. Sword blessing and Enbu are scheduled but a lot more time is set aside. Ones done at Matsuri aren't as long so we have our swords in our obi when we demo or we would never get time.

Carl
    Carl McClafferty

Likes (received)

Hello Carl

I still get upset with the embu when we have to change before arriving.
    Monsuki and driving don't mix when you turn corners and try a hand over hand with the steering wheel. Not to mention the stares you get if you pull in for fuel. And you still need somewhere to 'retie everything' when you arrive.

Stick tickles me to see guys dressed up and wearing watches and long johns and long sleeved vests under the gear in winter.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Cool

Colin"

Do you know what a texan says when he sees a a 6' 220lb man in a skirt and carrying a 32" razor blade?

"Howdy"

But you're right, its hard to drive and draws attention. That's why I like arranged Shrine Enbu!

Carl
    Carl McClafferty