Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kodachi versus Shoto?

Likes (received)

It makes sense to me, and from some pictures, I'd gotten the idea that the maezashi was worn in the front (while it may seem obvious, I've learned nto to take even things like this for granted).

For me, though, I was pondering it from the POV of use--what was a kodachi/shoto/wakizashi used for vs. that of maezashi/tanto, etc. I got a link from Doug that indicates it could have well been used as a tanto, with the blade designed to slip under <i>do</i> area armour.
    --Neil Melancon--

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aozora
    For me, though, I was pondering it from the POV of use--what was a kodachi/shoto/wakizashi used for vs. that of maezashi/tanto, etc.
    The tanto were used to open letters, whilst the wakizashi were used to open the bigger packages.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Quote Originally Posted by gendzwil
    The tanto were used to open letters, whilst the wakizashi were used to open the bigger packages.
    Actually... I've got this shinto era tanto with fatal hagire up and down the poor thing. I cleaned it up myself and it is one of the best box openers I've ever owned... That thing holds an edge tenaciously (which is probably why it has so many hagire -- really hard yakiba).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    ...but is now the "Soke" of "Ishi Yama Ryu."

It figures.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the phrase "Shin Koryu" on his website... Kinda like "Jumbo Shrimp"...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kdlarman
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the phrase "Shin Koryu" on his website... Kinda like "Jumbo Shrimp"...
    There's no such term in the Japanese language. It would be 'bimyou' (paradoxical).

Likes (received)

You, sir, are the wisest of ninjas.
    --Neil Melancon--

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Ya' know, if I was planning to stab someone wearing yoroi, I'd probably choose something a wee bit longer than a tanto, like a wakizashi/maezaki/kodachi/shoto or whatever we're supposed to call them now.

I guess a tanto would work better than a sharp fingernail, but even if I managed to hit something vital on my opponent, a tanto would likely be pulled from my hands when he fell. Or did they carry multiple tantos for that purpose? And weren't tantos mostly carried by women, anyway?

And I guess I'm not as high-class as you guys who can use a tanto - hagire or not - to cut open boxes. I only have a really cool box-knife that opens & closes with a switch (that's all my wife will let me use...she carries the tanto!).
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

I guess a tanto would work better than a sharp fingernail, but even if I managed to hit something vital on my opponent, a tanto would likely be pulled from my hands when he fell. Or did they carry multiple tantos for that purpose? And weren't tantos mostly carried by women, anyway?
    Actually, the way I understand it is that large tanto were the common secondary sword when armor was used. The method was to grapple the opponent, and then stick your tanto into a gap in the armor and stir vigorously. A quick Google search of yoroi doshi should yield some info.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Default Rep

Neil

If I could dish you some reputation it would be yours!
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith
    Actually, the way I understand it is that large tanto were the common secondary sword when armor was used. The method was to grapple the opponent, and then stick your tanto into a gap in the armor and stir vigorously. A quick Google search of yoroi doshi should yield some info.
    Ed Marshall of Yakiba.com brought a yoroi doshi to show us at the dojo the other day and holy crap is that a chunk of steel! It's like a triangular shape wedge. There'd be no need to stir vigorously--insert, withdraw and let the blood all drain out at once!
    --Neil Melancon--

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Neil, you don't happen to have a photo or two of that yoroi doshi, do you? Sounds pretty intimidating!
    Ken Goldstein

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Hawaii
    Neil, you don't happen to have a photo or two of that yoroi doshi, do you? Sounds pretty intimidating!
    I'll see if Ed does. I can't even begin to express how dangerous it felt--if you told me it could punch through armour rather than find a gap, I'd believe it.
    --Neil Melancon--

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

I buy Nihonto from Ed - he always has cool stuff. Just never saw a yoroi doshi.
    Ken Goldstein

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Okay........... I just ordered one kodachi from Sukotto.com & one shoto from e-Bogu to see if they might show some slight but perceptible difference. Other than the color of the plastic they wrapped them in, they are exactly the same, even the same color wood, & identical tsuba & tsuba-dome. Oh, & the receipts showed different items, too, which I need to keep with each one so I don't bring the wrong weapon to Phoenix again.

Ya' know, I might just send both of them to that Phoenix sensei.....
    Ken Goldstein

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Hawaii
    ...Ya' know, I might just send both of them to that Phoenix sensei.....
    If you do, send our site address along, too. I'd love to have him join this discussion to "enlighten" us on the difference between them.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast