Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Uchi otoshi

Likes (received)

Default Uchi otoshi

I'm very intrigued to learn more about Uchi otoshi. I have few questions about it. Uchi otoshi is quite seldom practiced kata. Does anyone know why is it so? Can someone say why did Shimizu-sensei decide not to include Uchi otoshi in his general teaching? Do you ever practice it on your dojo?
    A. Mikko Lehmusvyory
    Ki-Ken-Tai-Icchi - Helsinki Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Never even seen it, let alone practiced it.

Aden
    Aden Steinke
    University of Wollongong Kendo club
    http://www.kendo-wollongong.com/

Likes (received)

might be that Shimizu Takaji stopped teaching this kata alltogether quite early for various reasons.

As for why: Dunno for sure. Maybe he thought uchi otoshi didnt have a useful application after all, that perhaps other kata were sufficient to teach the "lesson" behind it.

Phil Relnick will most likely know more.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

It's taught in the dojo where I train, but I haven't learned it yet(new to SMR),so I can't really comment on it otherwise.
    Regards,
    Brian Dunham
    MSR SanShinKai

Likes (received)

I may be talking out the wrong end here, but I have a faint memory of someone telling me that Uchio Otoshi was one of the kata Shimizu Sensei developed along with Shamen and Suigetsu as to be used as a way to make kata-introduction a bit smoother. (tachi otoshi is quite a handful for a beginner). That he stopped teaching it seems to be the case, but exactly why I don't know other than the speculation I provided in the above post.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Arrow Police Kata

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27
    I may be talking out the wrong end here, but I have a faint memory of someone telling me that Uchio Otoshi was one of the kata Shimizu Sensei developed along with Shamen and Suigetsu as to be used as a way to make kata-introduction a bit smoother. (tachi otoshi is quite a handful for a beginner). That he stopped teaching it seems to be the case, but exactly why I don't know other than the speculation I provided in the above post.
    My understanding is that Uchiotoshi, Shamen and Suigetsu are Police Kata developed for and taught to the Tokyo Riot Police instructed by the late Shimizu-s. and later by Kaminoda-s.

Shamen and Suigetsu were made a part of Seitei Jo Gata.

Uchiotoshi is currently being taught to Kaminoda-s.'s students. There is an outline of this kata in Jodo Kyohan.

HTH,
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by R A Sosnowski
    My understanding is that Uchiotoshi, Shamen and Suigetsu are Police Kata developed for and taught to the Tokyo Riot Police instructed by the late Shimizu-s. and later by Kaminoda-s.

Shamen and Suigetsu were made a part of Seitei Jo Gata.

Uchiotoshi is currently being taught to Kaminoda-s.'s students. There is an outline of this kata in Jodo Kyohan.

HTH,
    Yeh that would make sense.

Oh, though the Shamen and Suigetsu are of course part of Seitei Jo, in our dojo (koryu-jo) we begin teaching Tsuki zue, suigetsu and shamen to new students before proceeding to Tachi Otoshi, tsuba wari and so on. Thats what I meant in my earlier post when I said they are used to ease introduction into kata.
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

Arrow Old and New Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27
    Yeh that would make sense.

Oh, though the Shamen and Suigetsu are of course part of Seitei Jo, in our dojo (koryu-jo) we begin teaching Tsuki zue, suigetsu and shamen to new students before proceeding to Tachi Otoshi, tsuba wari and so on. Thats what I meant in my earlier post when I said they are used to ease introduction into kata.
    When I began training just over a decade ago, Seitei Jo Gata up through (#11) Midare-dome was taught before beginning the Koryu Kata. The emphasis has changed over the years.

Our current method is to teach Seitei Jo up to Tachiotoshi and then begin Omote; we also work on completing Seitei training.

YMMV,
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Default Uo

This is interesting that some people still practise this.

Still begs the question why it a) didn't make it into seitei like suigetsu and shamen did and b) why a lot of SMR practitioners don't practise it.

Perhaps because it sounds too much like a sneeze....
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Likes (received)

sorry for a late reaction, I just found this forum...

I have been tought uchi otoshi is 1 of the 3 tokushu kata and they go between omote and chudan. Maybe my teacher knows why it is dropped, ill ask him.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Doring View Post
    I have been tought uchi otoshi is 1 of the 3 tokushu kata and they go between omote and chudan. Maybe my teacher knows why it is dropped, ill ask him.
    So, did anyone get any new infomation about uchiotoshi-kata?!?
    " As the Spirit Wanes, the Form Appears."
    © C.Bukowski

Likes (received)

sorry no info yet...