Good Friends:

I just wanted to say thanks for the koryu.com site. The presentation is very clear and the issues raised are articulately presented. I found it very helpful.

Many of the issues raised there, such as the relationship between the teacher and the student, and the purpose of training, I have seen raised in the context of eastern spiritual forms being brought to the west. I think the problem, or at least an aspect of the problem is that westerners have the strong feeling that any form of spirituality should be automatically accessible to all; it's a kind of democratic presumption that, I think, is very strong in our culture. Since budo is often comprehended as a spiritual path, or a path with spiritual implications, I think this view, often held unconsciously, impinges on how people react to paths such a koryu.

I have found it helpful to make some ordinary comparisons. For example, in the field of mathematics people seem to be able to comprehend that the "path" of mathematics requires dedication, and also a good teacher. It is clear that not everyone is equally a mathematician.

Or take the path of musicianship. Here I think that people generally understand that to become a musician takes dedication, discipline, steady practice, and the guidance of good teachers in order for musicianship to blossom.

However, when it comes to spirituality, I think people feel differently. This happens because in most cases spiritual institutions are "open", generally accessible. Anyone can join, for example, a church without much trouble. In many instances churches advertise that simply joining has many benefits.

In terms of martial arts, I think there is some of the same expectation. Anyone can join a dojo, so there is the same accessibility. Mathematicians do not advertise for people to become their students; they are available for those seriously interested, but most people are not, and there is no expectation that the "path" of mathematics is for everyone. But I think there is an underlying subtext that something like martial arts (or Zen, or Taoism, etc.) should be accessible and available for all.

These are just a few thoughts.

Once again, thanks for the site.

Best wishes,

Jim Wilson