Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Koryu information resources

Likes (received)

Default Thanks to koryu.com!

Good Friends:

I just wanted to say thanks for the koryu.com site. The presentation is very clear and the issues raised are articulately presented. I found it very helpful.

Many of the issues raised there, such as the relationship between the teacher and the student, and the purpose of training, I have seen raised in the context of eastern spiritual forms being brought to the west. I think the problem, or at least an aspect of the problem is that westerners have the strong feeling that any form of spirituality should be automatically accessible to all; it's a kind of democratic presumption that, I think, is very strong in our culture. Since budo is often comprehended as a spiritual path, or a path with spiritual implications, I think this view, often held unconsciously, impinges on how people react to paths such a koryu.

I have found it helpful to make some ordinary comparisons. For example, in the field of mathematics people seem to be able to comprehend that the "path" of mathematics requires dedication, and also a good teacher. It is clear that not everyone is equally a mathematician.

Or take the path of musicianship. Here I think that people generally understand that to become a musician takes dedication, discipline, steady practice, and the guidance of good teachers in order for musicianship to blossom.

However, when it comes to spirituality, I think people feel differently. This happens because in most cases spiritual institutions are "open", generally accessible. Anyone can join, for example, a church without much trouble. In many instances churches advertise that simply joining has many benefits.

In terms of martial arts, I think there is some of the same expectation. Anyone can join a dojo, so there is the same accessibility. Mathematicians do not advertise for people to become their students; they are available for those seriously interested, but most people are not, and there is no expectation that the "path" of mathematics is for everyone. But I think there is an underlying subtext that something like martial arts (or Zen, or Taoism, etc.) should be accessible and available for all.

These are just a few thoughts.

Once again, thanks for the site.

Best wishes,

Jim Wilson
    Dharmajim

Likes (received)

Yes, it's an excellent site. I'm not sure how often Meik or Diane frequent E-Budo anymore, so perhaps you should e-mail them directly? Most of the people here have nothing to do with koryu.com, other then eagerly buying their excellent books
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Default Koryu information resources

Hi all!

Believe it or not, I've got an update posted at Koryu.com.

http://koryu.com/new.html

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Likes (received)

Thanks for posting the link, Diane! I enjoyed the article on Inyogyo, nicely done, informative without a lot of detail and humorous to boot!

I've added it to my bookmarks!
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

swordsaint Guest

Hi there,

Would it be possible if anyone knows of any truly great books on the subject of samurai's (practices/beliefs etc.) to let me know.

I have some already but, would love to know if I'm missing any classics.

Many thanks and be well,

James.

Likes (received)

Please sign your full name to your posts.

It might be helpful if you told us which books you've already got, so as to avoid redundant recommendations... :P
    Roberto Valenzuela
    Owari Kan-ryu sojutsu (尾張貫流槍術)
    Shinkage-ryu heiho (新陰流兵法)

"Be intelligent, but do not be artificially intelligent." --Kung Fu Proverb

"Culture Check: Korean Arts still determined to make indigenous martial history from 4,000 year old cave drawings. France counters by claiming Savaate developed from hunting woolly mammoths before Ice Age." --The Nth Degree

Likes (received)

Though most internet users are most familiar with Wikipedia, it is only one of many online, user-based information sites. Everything2 (www.everything2.com) is similar, though it also provides a place to submit editorials, fiction, and other literary functions beyond that of an encyclopedia.

I have recently noded a few articles on various koryu as I see them. I am an engineer and physicist by training, not a historian or writer. I am also very new to both gendai and koryu arts. My knowledge and that which I have tried to transmit through my nodes comes from my desire to learn about these arts myself with sources ranging from books, these forums and similar, and Google searches.

I am posting the links to the articles I have written not because the information is new or an authority, but rather because it would help future readers to have informed and interested parties help me sort out some of the information and make corrections and/or suggestions.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?...ode_id=1467501

The above link will take you to the master list of all my nodes. As some of these 'node shells' will present multiple articles with the same title, mine are the submissions authored by 'spin13.' Any help is appreciated, either through contact here at e-budo (public or private) or to my email. Thanks!
    無雙直傳英信流・日本古武道居合研究会 - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ・ Nihon Kobudo Iai Kenkyukai
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

A very S-L-O-W loading site.

Likes (received)

loads fine for me.
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

Looks like there is going to be a great book coming out soon. http://www.koryu.com/new.html
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Hi All!
    Any clue who this Shihan is? By the way i just ordered Dave Lowrys new Book, "In the Dojo". Check out the review by Diana Skoss and there is also a teaser on koryu.com! Very promising!
    Best
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

George

Thanks for the "heads up."
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Maybe Otake Risuke of TSKSR!

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Hi Jeff!
    No , i dont think so.
    "I will say that the book is by the master shihan of one of the oldest and most respected of the Japanese martial traditions. "
    Diana wrotes "Shihan", sound like TSKSR but what about Seki Humitake of the Kashima Shinryu? More candidates?
    best
    Sven
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

I put in an order meself..Cant wait
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast