Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Koryu information resources

Likes (received)

There has been another update at koryu.com.

http://koryu.com/new.html
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Mark Murray Guest

Thanks for the heads-up George!

And AUGH! I so wanted to put that book on the Christmas list.

Mark

Likes (received)

"Koryu Books has done the martial arts world yet another great service by rejuvenating this quintessential publication..."--Alex Bennet, Editor Kendo World
    (emphasis mine)

hmmm.... this is an interesting clue. So, what books by well-known shihan are already out there that the Skosses might be revamping? New edition of The Deity and the Sword, perhaps? That's the only guess I can come up with. It would certainly be about time, given how hard it is to find copies of it these days.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Default The Deity and the Sword

When I first read the Koryu com update my first thought was also a reprint of the Deity and the Sword, however a handsome French edition of the 3 volumes has been available from BudoEditions for some time.

TSKSR is a small school that got a lot of publicity from its connection with D Draeger, Otake has stated in print a number of times that to learn TSKSR basically involves you going to Japan and living there for many years, and you would like be turned down a few times just to check your level of commitment.

Otake and the headmaster of the school have never seemed to wish the school to take off, since without close attention from the shihan the techniques will be diluted.

The late Sugino's version of TSKSR is another story. Can't see why a series of books that where used by some to promote somrthing they never had a chance to train in would be republished by Koryu com who seem to be a quiding light in keeping it as it is.

regards

Ian Drew

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Drew
    When I first read the Koryu com update my first thought was also a reprint of the Deity and the Sword, however a handsome French edition of the 3 volumes has been available from BudoEditions for some time.
    yeah.... it's just that the french edition doesn't do me a lot of good, given that I don't really read french....

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Drew
    TSKSR is a small school that got a lot of publicity from its connection with D Draeger, Otake has stated in print a number of times that to learn TSKSR basically involves you going to Japan and living there for many years, and you would like be turned down a few times just to check your level of commitment.

Otake and the headmaster of the school have never seemed to wish the school to take off, since without close attention from the shihan the techniques will be diluted.

The late Sugino's version of TSKSR is another story. Can't see why a series of books that where used by some to promote somrthing they never had a chance to train in would be republished by Koryu com who seem to be a quiding light in keeping it as it is.
    very good points... actually, if you read Miek Skoss's book reviews on koryu.com, I think that he actually implies that you shouldn't bother with The Deity and the Sword unless you are a member of TSKSR. Still, even with that said, that's just about the only book in English that I know of that meets the qualifications of
    1) having been written by a senior shihan of a koryu
    2) having already been in print (use of the word "rejuvenating," etc.)

I'm probably wrong-- for the reasons that you mentioned-- but I still can't come up with a better guess. And naturally, I don't have anything better to do with my life than to sit, and to speculate, and to offer inane guesses, until the truth is revealed.
    Last edited by DDATFUS; 21st November 2006 at 01:37. Reason: fixing the quote function, which I always screw up
    David Sims

Likes (received)

I could be completely off track here, but there is another out of print, hard to find, much sought after book that "sticks" out in my mind.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rennis
    I could be completely off track here, but there is another out of print, hard to find, much sought after book that "sticks" out in my mind.
    Nice one Rennis. The humour is good.

BTW, your signature line seems to be missing. Lots of people know who you are but you know how it goes...!

Best,
    Al
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

Likes (received)

Ah sorry, my mistake there. For some reason I can't get into the user CP at the moment, but for the record..

Rennis Buchner

Likes (received)

Hey Rennis,

Good to hear you're still in Akita.

I have the same problem - I can't access my user CP neither.

Likes (received)

Default User CP access

Ah sorry, my mistake there. For some reason I can't get into the user CP at the moment, but for the record..
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Delaney
    I have the same problem - I can't access my user CP neither.
    There is a problem with the forum concerning this, use the direct links in this post and you can access what you need in the User CP.

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    www.shorinjikempo.net - www.shorinjikempo.se
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを - 宗 道臣
    "Nakaba wa jiko no shiawase wo, nakaba wa hito no shiawase wo" - So Doshin

Likes (received)

Sticks...ummm that would be very nice considering that there really isn't an english edition of any stick book
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow...
    ...that's what makes my thumper go

Likes (received)

it's now February..... the suspense has almost given me stomach ulcers... what is the book?? When will it appear? Mrs Skoss put us out of our misery or give us some more less cryptic clues!!!
    Richie Styles

Likes (received)

Dear Filthy Sadists at Koryu.com,

When will you stop tormenting us with vague hints and publish the book?

All Love,
    David
    David Sims

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DDATFUS
    My ulcer nearly burst in the laughter..... are you trying to kill me??
    Richie Styles

Likes (received)

When will you stop tormenting us with vague hints and publish the book?
    Diane, unfortunatley, has the heavy burden of being in the Bahamas until Monday doing some jo training, so your protestations will simply fall on well-tanned deaf ears until then.

I won't see her until next Wednesday's training, but I'll tell her that you guys are bursting at the seams and see if she would be willing to ease your pain a bit. (That is, if she hasn't seen this thread by then.)

Oh, and by the way, the book is going to be killer.

(Get it? Martial arts book being "killer"....that's high class waza right there.)

Kevin Cantwell

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast