Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Koryu information resources

Likes (received)

I promise that we will not be shipping any drool.

Likes (received)

Well, that's a relief. I was really worried for a minute there.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    My New International Version Bible has substantially the same material in the 1455 Gutenberg Bible, yet I doubt I could convince any museums to trade mine for theirs.

I suspect the same issue is at work here: there is a collectable and/or sentimental aspect to the original version that a new version can't repace.
    You hit the nail on the head... Last I heard, the Deity and the Sword books were selling for vast sums of money.

My instructor got his copies from an elderly member of our club, who passed away last year, an Iaido practitioner who -I suppose- started buying budo books a long, long time ago.
    Joost van Schijndel

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jest
    You hit the nail on the head... Last I heard, the Deity and the Sword books were selling for vast sums of money.
    Yes, upwards from $500 to over a thousand in some cases. I may replace mine someday, which were water-damaged beyond restoration, but in the mean time...

I just got my e-mail confirmation from Koryu.com: my order has shipped! I'll post a review of the new book, contrasting it with the old books (I still have softcover versions) this weekend if all goes well.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Huh? So I can sell my originals for a grand?

Cool, may need to after this seminar.

Kim.

Likes (received)

Wink

My New International Version Bible has substantially the same material in the 1455 Gutenberg Bible, yet I doubt I could convince any museums to trade mine for theirs.

I suspect the same issue is at work here: there is a collectable and/or sentimental aspect to the original version that a new version can't repace.
    You're oh so right here . Sorry I missed the point, LOL.
    Alejandro Villanueva.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Taylor
    Huh? So I can sell my originals for a grand?
    Could be.

If you have a first edition boxed set in like-new condition, send me a PM.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Could be.

If you have a first edition boxed set in like-new condition, send me a PM.
    While I keep my books in pretty good condition, I never "collected" them so no boxes (if they'd had boxes I'd still have them but they didn't), and the spines of the jacket covers will likely be faded. Haven't a clue what edition they are.

Are these things really "first edition" collectables? Amazing.

I've got a pulp edition of Rocca's second world war hand to hand manual for the coast guard, complete with how to gouge an eye out with a spoon if I remember right. That's the sort of martial arts collectable book that sits on my shelves... I'd figure it was worth about three bucks to a serious collector except I think Paladin just reissued it so it's likely worth about 25 cents which is what I probably paid for it.

Not to make fun of book collecting, there's good money in it if you find the right market.

Kim.

Likes (received)

The Canon of Judo was going for $500 to $1000+ before they reissued it a couple of years ago. After reissue, the bottom dropped out of that market, I was lucky to get $200 for my copy.

I'd imagine the same will be true with this book.
    Douglas Wylie

Do not learn philosophy from fortune cookie.

Likes (received)

The good news: I got my copy by mail today.
    The better news: It doesn't appear to have any of Kevin's disgusting drool on it. I guess that'll be on your copy, Brian

The bad news: I still have one more exam to take this week, and I am going to have a very hard time studying with this in the house.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Yes, upwards from $500 to over a thousand in some cases. I may replace mine someday, which were water-damaged beyond restoration, but in the mean time...
    Would that be the hardback or the softcover editions?

Likes (received)

It doesn't appear to have any of Kevin's disgusting drool on it.
    Listen, buddy, that's because you don't rate. Those are the "Special Edition of the Special Editions" copies. I've been chewing gum for the past week just so they could get all the requests out on time.

Take note of the discussion above about book value and appreciation. One day the mocking will come back to bite you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's some Bubblicious with my name on it.

(Meik was also nice enough to pick me up some Saranac Caramel Porter tonight and I need to get back to that. Talk about drool.....)

Hope you enjoy the book.

Kevin Cantwell

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by K. Cantwell
    One day the mocking will come back to bite you.
    as long as it doesn't get any of your saliva into the wound, the mocking can bite all it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Cantwell
    (Meik was also nice enough to pick me up some Saranac Caramel Porter tonight and I need to get back to that. Talk about drool.....)
    As they say in the Red Stripe commercials, "Hooray Beer!"
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Delaney
    Would that be the hardback or the softcover editions?
    My boxed hardcover editions were ruined; I have the softcover editions in my bookcase.

I have seen the boxed sets go for well over $500, and the standard hardcover sets go for more than $300.

The softcover editions are, last time I looked, around $100.
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 10th May 2007 at 04:30.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DDATFUS
    ...It doesn't appear to have any of Kevin's disgusting drool on it. I guess that'll be on your copy, Brian
    Fortunately, my copy was nicely shrink-wrapped in plastic. The extra, Japanese version, dust jacket was tightly rolled and bound, and set to one side. Any drool that may have been on it was not in evidence.

(Hopefully it wasn't simply absorbed into my copies of In The Dojo or Clouds In The West, which were in the same box.)

The book itself is exactly what I had hoped for. Most of the information from the original three volumes appears to be present, but in a different -- and to me more readable -- format. For example, margin notes have replaced parenthetical insertions to define many of the Japanese terms used in the text, which lends a better flow to the prose. Also, the text descriptions that accompanied the photosequences of the kata in the originals has been left out, and the photos left to speak for themselves.

And speaking of the photos, they are new, and mostly have better grain, tonality, and clarity than the originals (a few seem too dark to me), and include shots of the waza being performed, in several cases, by armored exponents as well as those in keikogi.

New sections include brief looks at the ryu's jujutsu, shurikenjutsu, and ninjutsu, and an expanded version of the treatise on moral development.

I think this will be a valuable addition to the collections of any who are interested in the koryu traditions of Japan's martial arts and ways.
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 11th May 2007 at 12:06.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast