Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How does your teaching style differ from your teachers.

Likes (received)

Default How does your teaching style differ from your teachers.

I have often thought about this topic. I have noticed that, when I teach Karate, my teaching style is very different from my teacher's style. I do a lot more explaining and asking the class questions to help them, "get it."

It isn't as structured as my karate teacher runs things, though. There is as much to be said for the way that he drills formalized practices into his students, as there is to trying to help the students on a conceptual level.

I have come to the realization that I am not my teacher and that is just fine. Both ways of teaching are good.

My Jujitsu teacher often describes his teacher and it sounds an almost opposite teaching style from his own. His teacher is well known, but I am satisfied with my teachers way of doing things. He does a good job of passing down concepts, techniques and tradition without being a clone of his teacher.

Once again, the difference is just fine.

So, I am interested in the way that people differ from their teachers AS teachers.
    Eric Peter ("Pete") Ramberg

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by epramberg
    He does a good job of passing down concepts, techniques and tradition without being a clone of his teacher.

Once again, the difference is just fine.

So, I am interested in the way that people differ from their teachers AS teachers.
    From my second Instructor the biggest difference is that I can speak english.
    and have often wondered if I had learned to speak his native tounge and he could have benn more verbal with me, would I now be a different student / Teacher than I am..

Jeff Duncan