Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shinkage Ryu Hyoho Demonstration at Seattle Cherry Blossom Festival

Likes (received)

Default Shinkage Ryu Hyoho Demonstration at Seattle Cherry Blossom Festival

In the April 11, 2007 edition (Vol. 62, Iss. 16) of The North American Post (Hokubei Hochi) on page 9, it states that there will be a "Kenjutsu - Shinkage Ryu Hyoho" demonstration on Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 10:30 am in the Seattle Center Pavilion as part of this year's Cherry Blossom Festival.

Does anyone know who is presenting this demonstration?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Kevin T. Tanemura
    Seattle, WA

Likes (received)

I can't find an exhibitor listing anywhere.

I'm glad you brought it up, though; if I can roust myself that early in the day, I'll be there.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Maybe someone can snag a video?

Regards,
    - Alex Dale

Likes (received)

I don't have a video camera, but I'm going to check to see if I can borrow or rent one someplace.

Also, someone told me that he thinks the Shinkage Ryu group will be lead by someone named Chip Armstrong.

I hope to see some of you there.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Armstrong lives in Arizona, but has a small Owari kan ryu study group up in the Seattle area led by Nick Nibler, they are both good guys. I think the Shinkage ryu is part of their study. Armstrong took over the the International Hoplology Society, after Draeger passed away.

Aaron Fields
    Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
    Sea-Town Sombo
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Likes (received)

Oh, that Chip Armstrong.

(I always think of him as Hunter Armstrong, so I didn't make the connection.)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Other demos?

My pathetic googling skills have netted me nothing as far as events at the festival. I'd be interested in hearing what other arts might be demonstrating.

I know that Phil Relnick's Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu and Shinto Muso Ryu groups will be doing demos at noon on Saturday. Seattle is busting at the seams with good koryu and gendai budo -- any info on other demonstrators?
    Will Schutt

Likes (received)

I've looked and looked, but I can't find anything. It's very frustrating.

The Eastside Matsuri always has a very good posting of the schedule well in advance of their event, but it seems that the Cherry Blossom Festival organizers don't do so -- at least not that I have been able to find.

If I can manage to get down to the Seattle Center before the weekend I'll see if I can find a flyer or other schedule, and if so I'll post it here.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default [I]Kotoshi no Shiatoru Sakura Matsuri no 'schedule' desu...sort of[/I]

Hey all fellow Seattle area e-budo-ka,

I went to the Center today, print schedules *are* available, and I just tried to upload a scanned schedule from the paper, but resultant file size was too large (converted to pdf it was 4.something MEGS with a 100-something kb limit).

Anyway, there are miscellaneous things spread throughout the weekend (taiko, origami, various crafts-type things, etc.), and budo-related matters seem to be as follows:

Seattle Center Pavilion A:

Sat. 4/21

Noon

Shintokan Dojo kenjutsu (if you've never had the pleasure of seeing either of Relnick sensei's groups do their 'thing', I *highly* recommend it. And such nice people, too. As mentioned upthread, I gather that SMR and TSKSR are both on the bill. Dunno why it's only advertised as kenjutsu (save space in the program?)...

12:45 PM

US Naginata Federation

1:30 PM

Muso Shinden Ryu Kenkyu Kai (I forget, is this Konno sensei's group?)

2:15 PM

Pacific Northwest Kendo Federation

3 PM

A lecture by Emeritus Professor Masahiro Meshii (my kanji reading's not good enough to pick out the title, but I can read 'something and Japanese culture [ni tsuite ] something something')

Not sure if it's related, but at the same time is Budokan Judo Dojo's demo.

3:45 PM

Ki Aikido USA

4:30 PM

Minakami Karate Dojo

Sunday 4/22

10:30 AM (all at Pavilion A)

Shinkage Ryu Hyoho

Noon

Seattle Shorinji Kempo with special guest Joichi Tagami

1 PM

Washington Kyudo Kai

1:45 PM

World Seido Karate

2:30 PM

Seattle Judo Dojo (and a lecture, again with this Masahiro Meshii sensei. Hmm, maybe the topic is something like 'A history of judo in the PNW'?)

3:15 PM

Washington Karate Association

I think that's it for all of the budo-related items.

Apologies for the length and I hope I haven't missed anything .

Ps. Not sure why the Cherry Blossom Festival schedule is never online and ENMA's (bless 'em!) is. If it hasn't anything to do with organizational rules or something like that, surely it's not too much trouble to snap a photo of the schedule, scan it, PDF-ize it, and upload the sucker to http://www.seattlecenter.org...?
    Chris Hodsdon

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by budoka_ch
    ...1:30 PM

Muso Shinden Ryu Kenkyu Kai (I forget, is this Konno sensei's group?)
    Yes, it is.

Muso Kai for short, and Muso Shinden Ryu Kenkyu Kai formally and legally (registered non-profit corporation).

Chris, thanks a lot for posting that schedule. I never was able to get down there as I'd hoped (too busy at work).

For the karate fans out there, any who haven't seen Akio Minakami Sensei should try to get there for his demo. He was formerly the chief instructor for the Washington Karate Association before starting his own dojo in Lake City. He's one of the most skilled technicians of Hayashi-ha Shito Ryu I've ever met.

I echo Chris on Shintokan Dojo's demo. It's too bad they seem to be limited to 45 minutes, because between the TSKSR and the SMR they could easily fill several hours.

Hope to see some of you there. (I'll be the tall guy in the tan NASA jacket lugging a camera.)
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 21st April 2007 at 09:38.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Dale
    Maybe someone can snag a video?
    Sorry, Alex, I wasn't able to get hold of a video camera.

I did get some still photos, which I will try to post in a few days.

It was, in fact, Hunter Armstrong and Nick Nibler presenting, along with several students.
    They demo'd kenjutsu (hikihada shinai, katana bokken, and odachi bokken), naginatajutsu, and sojutsu (kudayari).

On other fronts, Minakami Sensei wasn't there, so one of his senior students and a group of juniors demo'd.

The Shorinji Kempo group was BIG. About 30 people. It turns out that they were having a regional seminar or some such in conjunction with the CBF, and had visiting students and instructors from around the USA and from Japan. A very nice embu.

I missed Relnick Sensei's demo on Saturday. I worked late Friday night/Saturday morning, and slept through my planned arousal time. Better luck next time. (I've seen them before, at the Eastside Matsuri, and consider them well worth seeing.)

I missed the Washington Karate Association demo because I got tied up talking tea with a representative a Koots Green Tea. I'm glad I did, because in addition to sampling their sencha, bancha, and matcha, I tried something new to me...sakura sencha: early harvest green tea with cherry blossoms mixed in. I went home with a 50g tin which I will be enjoying as the spring weather finally arrives.

I hope everyone who was able to attend had a good time.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I appreciate you keeping me in mind, Brian. I look forward to the pictures.

Regards,
    - Alex Dale

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    It was, in fact, Hunter Armstrong and Nick Nibler presenting, along with several students.
    They demo'd kenjutsu (hikihada shinai, katana bokken, and odachi bokken), naginatajutsu, and sojutsu (kudayari).

Where does this group practice in Seattle? Info please?
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DCPan
    Where does this group practice in Seattle? Info please?
    David, I've sent you a PM.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron T
    Armstrong lives in Arizona, but has a small Owari kan ryu study group up in the Seattle area led by Nick Nibler, they are both good guys. I think the Shinkage ryu is part of their study. Armstrong took over the the International Hoplology Society, after Draeger passed away.

Aaron Fields
    Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
    Sea-Town Sombo
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org
    I presume this is the same Mr. Nibler?

http://www.crossfitnorth.com/trainer_n_nibler.htm
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast