Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kenjutsu, Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu

Likes (received)

Default Kenjutsu, Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu

Hello my name is David, I am new to the E-budo forums, I found my way here from Koryu.com where I was reading some great essays on Koryu.

I have been trying to find Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu somewhere near Pittsburg CA (Thats about an hour away from San Francisco for those who are unsure) From what I can tell I am not going to find Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu anywhere in the US, but I thought I would see if any of the people here might be able to help.

I don't think any groups or schools are in the US for Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu, so I have started to search for any Koryu in the area. I haven't found much, only one maybe so far in the area I am searching (Concord, Pittsburg, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, San Francisco or areas close by) The only maybe I have been able to find is with H. E. Davey, all the others have need clear fakes (to my mind).

I would love to hear about any known good Koryu in the area and if you have time any good books or places to search.

Thank you
    David Whittingham

Likes (received)

Try here David, if you're truly set on Niten Ichiryu.

http://seidokai.ca/iai-nitenseminar.html

Kim Taylor

Likes (received)

I know that Wayne Muromoto posted some information regarding a Takenouchi ryu group in San Francisco. I believe the group was Golden Gate Martial Arts. A search through Wayne's post will locate the thread.

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Hello my name is David, I am new to the E-budo forums, I found my way here from Koryu.com where I was reading some great essays on Koryu.

I have been trying to find Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu somewhere near Pittsburg CA (Thats about an hour away from San Francisco for those who are unsure) From what I can tell I am not going to find Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu anywhere in the US, but I thought I would see if any of the people here might be able to help.

I don't think any groups or schools are in the US for Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu, so I have started to search for any Koryu in the area. I haven't found much, only one maybe so far in the area I am searching (Concord, Pittsburg, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, San Francisco or areas close by) The only maybe I have been able to find is with H. E. Davey, all the others have need clear fakes (to my mind).

I would love to hear about any known good Koryu in the area and if you have time any good books or places to search.

Thank you
    David Whittingham
    I don't know if you've found these sites yet or if they're what you're looking for, but here you go:

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu iaido in San Francisco and Berkeley: http://www.iaido.org

Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei Seitei Iaido and Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido:
    http://www.nckf.org/MainPages/Iaido.htm

Shinkendo:
    http://www.shinkendo.com/dojomap.html#ca

I hope this helps.
    Dennis Ralutin

Orange County Buddhist Church (OCB) Kendo Dojo
    Southern California Kendo Federation (SCKF)
    All United States Kendo Federation (AUSKF)

Likes (received)

Thank you very much for your help finding these places, I will be sure to take a closer look at a few of them, once I get my new time table tomorrow.

David Whittingham

Likes (received)

This is the website of the Takenouchi Ryu group mentioned above:
    http://www.goldengatemartialarts.com/

and the koryu.com entry on Takenouchi Ryu can be found here:
    http://www.koryu.com/guide/takenouchi.html
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

If you are truly determined to learn niten, you will need to travel. In the UK we only have relatively beginner students, but they get together for practise sessions and also visit japan for teaching. I think they will end up a quite successful little team over here as they are very dedicated people.

There is no reason why you cant do the same thing in the USA, and Kim has already suggested you pop up to his seminar for a 'taster session'. Just because it doesnt happen near you doesnt mean you cant start...its a lot harder this way, but we all have to begin somewhere!
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

I can second the nomination of the MJER program in Berkeley. Diamantstein-sensei is a student of Esaka Seigen-sensei(10th dan and Vice President of the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei). Diamantstein-sensei has been coming out to Denton once every other year or so for the last 6. His iai is solid, and his connections with Japan are very strong. You could do a lot worse. Definitely worth watching a class or two.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty

Thank you
    David Whittingham
    Hi!

I looked up the one guy you found, for more info. H.E. Davey isn't a koryu JSA teacher. He's an Aikidoka.

Here's more info, if you are interested, from Michi Online:

http://www.michionline.org/about/davey-bio.html

And, I second the idea of going to the HNIR seminar in Canada. That's the best place!

Oh, and I'd have given you the same MJER dojo in San Fran. It's very good! I suggest checking it out.

I didn't know about the Takenouchi Ryu dojo though. *adds it to list*

Good luck!

P.S.
    Please check your box for a PM.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Sorry its taken so long to get back to everyone, been really busy lately. I have been able to make it out to watch a small Suio Ryu Study Group in San Francisco.

My biggest problem right now is the times... I live in Pittsburg and all the places you have helped me find take about an hour and a half to two hours to get to from here. Or I have to find some way to waste 6 hours in SF so that I don't have to ride all the way home just to turn around and come back. But hey its not meant to be easy, just means I really want it if I manage to find a way to get to training

I think I will try watch a Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu iaido class next and see which of the two would work better for me, then find some way to get there.

David Whittingham