Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Care and Feeding of the Visiting Japanese Shihan

Likes (received)

Default Care and Feeding of the Visiting Japanese Shihan

I think this is probably the right forum to post this in.

Many dojos that teach Japanese martial arts have seminars with visiting Shihan, or other high-level instructors from Japan. Some of these Shihan are seasoned world travellers, who know how to hang out in a foreign country. They can communicate verbally with some level of ease, they know what kinds of local food they can tolerate. Some you aren't sure about.

For every visiting instructor from Japan, there are one or more members of the hosting dojo who attain the honor of being the guy who picks Sensei up from the airport, helps him get settled into his hotel, picks him up every morning, takes him to the seminar, makes sure he gets out to eat, perhaps shows him some sights while he is over.

Most of the time, I imagine, the budoka who is so honored is a senior student of Sensei's. The two have a relationship, they know each other and are somewhat comfortable with each other.

Then there are the visiting Japanese Senseis who are, maybe, special guests of a Japanese Sensei who already lives in the US. The hosting dojo doesn't know this visiting Sensei very well. Perhaps the seminar is a large one and the very senior students already have a lot of work to do, so it turns out that the honor of being the valet to this visiting Sensei falls to a younger member of the dojo who is ecstatic, but at the same time, terrified that he will fail to make Sensei's stay enjoyable, fail to uphold the good name of his dojo, or worst of all, somehow inadvertently offend the visiting Sensei during the experience.

I hope my question follows logically from this.

Actually, it isn't confirmed that the job will fall to me yet, but in case it is, I was wondering if anybody reading this might have some general pointers for me. Should I insist that he let me carry his bags? Should I hold the door for him? What kind of small etiquette points should I pay attention to, that I might not have thought about?

Thanks all!
    -Cliff Judge

Likes (received)

I have one rule

#1 - You are not Japanese, don't pretend to be one.

Here's what I meant, just learned the basic protocol that you can easily remember. Don't try to cramp it all up in one mouthful. The visiting sensei knows you are not Japanese. thus, he/she will make the effort to adjust and meet you halfway to the ways your culture.

I have known several sensei's who has personally, told me how annoying it is for them to see non-japanese act, walk and talk like "samurai"

I have hosted few sensei's and masters that came to visit my dojo. Frankly, Its the outside the dojo activities that they truly enjoyed the most. I take them to many places of interest such as Magic Mountains, Universal Studios, Hollyweird , or places that I know Japan does not have. umm, yes, in case you are thinking, strip bars are out !!!

When it comes to food , Never and I repeat NEVER take them to a sushi bar... Some Sensei are vegetarians, so try to find a good restaurant for them to munch ahead of time. Find other restaurant you know are eclusive in your area. BTW: Taco Bell, McDonalds, Jack - in- The Box, El Pollo Loco, Pablito's Burrito Stand, Sizzlers, IHOP, Denny's DOES NOT constitute fine culinary dining....

Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

That's an excellent rule. Thanks for sharing it, and also for yuor advice on the strip clubs and mcdonalds, which I just wasn't really sure about.

Likes (received)

When Kurita Sensei visited the Seattle area, he liked to go out for Chinese food or to American buffet restaurants (like Old Country Buffet or Golden Corral) for our "big group" meals, and liked steak houses for the more intimate settings. (Steak is VERY expensive in his neck of the woods.) We didn't even suggest Japanese food (of any type), because that's what he eats at home.

Of course, the way we knew what he wanted was because at some point someone asked him. I think that's the key. If you don't know exactly what's expected of you, just be open and communicative.

I often had similar situations back in my body guard days. I never knew for sure what a new client's expectations were, and had to "play it by ear" -- literally. Listening and adapting were paramount.

One time I had a "royal" for a few days. Our office got a many-paged fax from the protocol office at her palace full of instructions like: Don't speak unless spoken to, address her as "Your Royal Highness" the first time you address her and "Your Highness" or "Ma'am" on subsequent conversations depending on such-and-such conditions, and so on. Once she arrived, I found her to be pleasant, easy to work with, and open to suggestions; not at all "high maintenance" as I had thought she would be based on our initial briefing.

Well, I'm drifting. What I'm trying to say is relax, go with the flow, and just try to make your guest feel welcomed. Don't sweat the details.

HTH.
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 1st May 2007 at 05:06.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Further:

Opening doors: Yes. If he or she then jumps ahead to hold the next one for you, say "Thank you" but keep opening them for him or her when it can be done gracefully and without artifice. If he or she holds back at every door, then you know you're the official doorman for the duration.

Carrying bags: At the airport, grab his or her bag(s). If he or she says "Oh, I'll get those" don't just hand them over. Say instead something like, "Are you sure? It's no trouble." If he or she then says, "No, I can do it" it's okay to hand them over. If he or she turns around and heads for the exit, you get to play porter.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

As suggested, ask.

Ask is there anything he- she would like to see or do while here.

Ask is there any type of food they really like. While this goes against the previous advice, one sensei wanted to go try a Japanese restaurant to see how it compared against what he got in at home in Saitama. He thought it was better, but he enjoyed the steak house much more.

I posted with Joe Svinth a bunch of points as to what makes a successful seminar in this forum. Take the points from there that apply to the sensei and use those.

Most importantly, listen to what they tell you. Most of the time, they will not ask for something out right, but will ask how something is done or where something is. That's a hint they would like to do that.

For instance, one sensei asked what my favorite bar in the area was. We took him there and he had a great time. Another asked what my favorite art was, so off to the art museum we go. Another asked about shooting guns, another asked about golfing, another asked about blonde girls and that one was one I ignored.

Frankly, I've found being treating the person respectfully without a brown nose attitude goes a long way to getting the person visiting to relax and enjoy themself and resulted in better fun and teaching. Your mileage may vary, but anyone who took themself so seriously they wanted to be catered to every moment, I found was not worth the time to host.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Judge
    That's an excellent rule. Thanks for sharing it, and also for yuor advice on the strip clubs and mcdonalds, which I just wasn't really sure about.
    lol...there was supposed to be a smiley at the end of that sentence...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Yamamoto
    Most importantly, listen to what they tell you. Most of the time, they will not ask for something out right, but will ask how something is done or where something is. That's a hint they would like to do that.
    Oh my goodness. That is an excellent bit of advice....that is the kind of thing that, weeks after the seminar was over, I would be second-guessing myself about. Thank you so much.

Likes (received)

Default masters

I've found Japanese instructors to be quite high maintenance compared to Chinese masters who tend to like more simple pleasures. But don't open doors for Chinese masters, they consider it arrogant as though you are saying: "Look at me, take notice of me, I'm opening this for you, me, notice me!"

We found that visiting Japanese instructors liked to see different scenery than they have back home, boat trips across lakes and local food etc.

Unfortunately, one time (I wasn't present myself) the boat got choppy and a Japanese 10th Dan ended up with fish and chips all over his lap.

He saw the funny side. A bit.
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

I haven't experienced a visiting Japanese sensei, but every single Japanese business acquaintance I have ever had has *really* enjoyed going out for beers in the evening.

Don't know if that helps you, but it certainly helped me, LOL.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Definitely agree with the "you're not Japanese, don't act it" advice. A few more pieces of advice:

1. Be on time. They may well be late, but you be on time.
    2. I assume you're paying for everything. You'll have to be quick on your feet to do it. Debana-visa.
    3. If you're buying them gifts, don't get anything related to martial arts. They've already got all the weapons and uniforms and what-not they want. Get them something local if you can, and consider how it has to be transported home.
    4. Allow them some down time. You can't schedule every minute of their day.
    5. 99% of them enjoy a drink or 6. Never book dinner at an unlicensed restaurant.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

age also comes into play...younger guys like to 'do their own thing' like carry their bags, but if you have an 80 year old guy, just carry it. Like you would do for grandad, unless he INSISTS that he can manage.
    Older japanese guys have more delicate stomachs, so I tend to stick to chinese restaurants or very simple cooking for them, as they are a little less prone to experiment.
    Make the gifts not only local but small and inexpensive, they dont expect the Mona Lisa as an introductory gift from someone they have never met! I use things like english tea for new/junior sensei, as its small and light to carry, and expensive to buy in Japan. Wedgewood china over there costs about five times what we pay here, so is a good buy for sensei's lady of the house if you go over to visit. After that its a single malt for my buddies or if I am staying over. One sensei has a penchant for wine...
    The best way is to reverse what you would like happen to you if you went to Japan, ie sights, festivals, local bits and pieces for presents to take back for the kids and mrs. I usually take our lot shopping for a morning. Note pavement cafes do not exist in Japan and are regarded as a novelty! (They always eat inside)
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

I 100% agree with the drink. My family in Japan drinks all the time. I'm not ashamed to say that my 80+ year old aunt can drink me under the table any day of the week. At our 3rd bottle of sake at 1:30 in the morning I began to realize I was outgunned and outmanned. My experience has been that they all drink. It's part of their "social" structure. It's when they are out in the bar, or having a drink that the "protocal's" go out the window. It's the time that everyone can let it all hang out without worry of offense.

So do take the man out for a good american beer. It's something he'll most likely enjoy and is also the perfect oppurtunity for you to be yourself. It would be okay and polite at that time to take the man "off the pedestal" so to speak and treat him as an equal. (of course feel him out, this is a generalization) However, when you began to do that, he will most likely follow suit, and you'll learn A LOT about the man behind the mask.

They are quite like us in that way, the bond's formed over alcohol are some of the best and strongest.

Also, see if he wants to drive... I know my uncle had an international driver's licence and one of the things he loved to do the most was to hit the open road and drive on flat lands. He loved it. They have so much traffic and what not, that open country is something different for them.

I almost forgot. When giving a gift, the presentation is just as important if not more than the thing inside. It can be small and meaningless, but take the time to wrap it perfectly, a little decorative, but not gaudy. I have seen a properly wrapped gift make a huge difference. It speaks volumes about your attention to small detail, which can be taken as a sign to the way you approach your studies. They wrap everything over there. If you ran to the local "wal mart" and bought a t-shirt or pack of underwear, they would wrap it perfectly to send it home with you.. It's something in the way that you take your time.. that is the real gift, the time and care put into the thought of the gift and the presentation.. not necessarily the gift itself.
    Derrick Dale

Likes (received)

I figured I ought to post a follow-up, in case anybody happens to use the search button in the future.

There is some advice that I would give to anyone who pulls "seminar deshi" duty, i.e. has been given some manner of valet / chauffer / gopher duty for a visiting Japanese instructor.

First of all, draw up an itinerary and stick with it. Try to get in touch with Sensei before he gets on the plane to see what he'd like to do, extracurricularly, while he is visiting. When he gets into town, hand him a printout of the itinerary. It will make Sensei feel like you have things under control, and will free them of the responsibility of planning and thinking a lot more than they have to, when they are in the midst of what is already a terribly exhausting and exciting experience.

Secondly, give some thought to food. If the visiting Sensei has lived in the west or has otherwise acquired a taste and familiarity with Western cuisine, then this is not going to be a problem. If your dojo is in a region that has a sizeable Japanese ex-patriot and immigrant population, then you probably have access to a grocery that stocks Japanese goods, and possibly restaurants that might satisfy Japanese tastes. If not, you are going to need to do some planning.

For you westerners reading this - do you know what natto is? Ask around. When you first encounter this very healthful eastern Japanese staple, you will most likely be filled with horror and revulsion. Can you imagine going to Japan for a very busy, tiring trip, waking up in the morning in your hotel, and realizing that your only meal choice before being ferried down to the dojo to being a day of training is...natto? For most Japanese, the breakfast menu options in their hotel, or in the typical American kitchen, are not going to be very appetizing.

If you can manage it, put up your visiting Japanese sensei in a hotel room that has a mini-kitchen with a sink and a small refrigerator. Do what you can to make sure they have some natto or whatever they prefer in their fridge. A small rice pot might be nice also. At the very, very least, get some instant noodle bowls packaged in Japanese (comfort factor) and a little plug-in tea kettle so Sensei can have hot water. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, after all!

Don't stick him in hotel room with 500 pounds of groceries, mind you. And don't automatically take him out to the same sushi place every day for lunch. But don't be surprised if Sensei is a little droopy in the morning class because he didn't want to fill up on syrupy, fatty American breakfast.

My visiting Sensei had not been to the West very often and had no taste for American cuisine. He kept asking for ramen for lunch...just some simple ramen. Can't we just go to a chinese restaurant and get some noodles? Well, Chinese restaurants around DC don't usually have the kind of ramen he was looking for. The lowest point of the entire experience for me resulted from this confusion.

I think we muddled through alright overall. It was an amazing seminar, and I think Sensei had a really excellent time all in all, but it was really a form of very severe training while I was going through it. I kept wishing I had had a few more minutes to plan something out, and whenever I did something wrong, I felt strongly that I really SHOULD have seen that coming.

So my two biggest pieces of advice to those who might be honored with this type of duty: first, have a plan - even if you have to diverge from the plan every day of the seminar, at least you had a starting point to work from, and it will probably reflect well on you and your dojo. Second - food, particularly breakfast. Figure out ahead of time what your visiting Sensei likes and what he wants to eat. Make sure you can get these things for him if he wants them. It'll make his stay more comfortable.

if this post helps even one person have a more successful seminar with a visiting Japanese Sensei, then I will be very happy!

-Cliff

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Judge
    I figured I ought to post a follow-up, in case anybody happens to use the search button in the future.

There is some advice that I would give to anyone who pulls "seminar deshi" duty, i.e. has been given some manner of valet / chauffer / gopher duty for a visiting Japanese instructor.

First of all, draw up an itinerary and stick with it. Try to get in touch with Sensei before he gets on the plane to see what he'd like to do, extracurricularly, while he is visiting. When he gets into town, hand him a printout of the itinerary. It will make Sensei feel like you have things under control, and will free them of the responsibility of planning and thinking a lot more than they have to, when they are in the midst of what is already a terribly exhausting and exciting experience.

Secondly, give some thought to food. If the visiting Sensei has lived in the west or has otherwise acquired a taste and familiarity with Western cuisine, then this is not going to be a problem. If your dojo is in a region that has a sizeable Japanese ex-patriot and immigrant population, then you probably have access to a grocery that stocks Japanese goods, and possibly restaurants that might satisfy Japanese tastes. If not, you are going to need to do some planning.

For you westerners reading this - do you know what natto is? Ask around. When you first encounter this very healthful eastern Japanese staple, you will most likely be filled with horror and revulsion. Can you imagine going to Japan for a very busy, tiring trip, waking up in the morning in your hotel, and realizing that your only meal choice before being ferried down to the dojo to being a day of training is...natto? For most Japanese, the breakfast menu options in their hotel, or in the typical American kitchen, are not going to be very appetizing.

If you can manage it, put up your visiting Japanese sensei in a hotel room that has a mini-kitchen with a sink and a small refrigerator. Do what you can to make sure they have some natto or whatever they prefer in their fridge. A small rice pot might be nice also. At the very, very least, get some instant noodle bowls packaged in Japanese (comfort factor) and a little plug-in tea kettle so Sensei can have hot water. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, after all!

Don't stick him in hotel room with 500 pounds of groceries, mind you. And don't automatically take him out to the same sushi place every day for lunch. But don't be surprised if Sensei is a little droopy in the morning class because he didn't want to fill up on syrupy, fatty American breakfast.

My visiting Sensei had not been to the West very often and had no taste for American cuisine. He kept asking for ramen for lunch...just some simple ramen. Can't we just go to a chinese restaurant and get some noodles? Well, Chinese restaurants around DC don't usually have the kind of ramen he was looking for. The lowest point of the entire experience for me resulted from this confusion.

I think we muddled through alright overall. It was an amazing seminar, and I think Sensei had a really excellent time all in all, but it was really a form of very severe training while I was going through it. I kept wishing I had had a few more minutes to plan something out, and whenever I did something wrong, I felt strongly that I really SHOULD have seen that coming.

So my two biggest pieces of advice to those who might be honored with this type of duty: first, have a plan - even if you have to diverge from the plan every day of the seminar, at least you had a starting point to work from, and it will probably reflect well on you and your dojo. Second - food, particularly breakfast. Figure out ahead of time what your visiting Sensei likes and what he wants to eat. Make sure you can get these things for him if he wants them. It'll make his stay more comfortable.

if this post helps even one person have a more successful seminar with a visiting Japanese Sensei, then I will be very happy!

-Cliff

Great Post Cliff ! Experience is a good teacher Mate !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast