Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shotokan Dawn - Karate History by Dr. Clive Layton

Likes (received)

Default Shotokan Dawn - Karate History by Dr. Clive Layton

Back in 2002, Dr Clive Layton wrote two books on the life of Vernon Bell and the formation of the British Karate Federation in Great Britain. The two books were called SHOTOKAN DAWN Vol. I and Vol. II ( A selected, early history of Shotokan karate in Great Britain 1956 - 1966 ). Only 300 copies were printed and most were sold within Vernon's clubs so a lot of this historical information has never been available to read up until now. Shotokan Dawn Vol. I and Vol. II have been reprinted and now available from the publishers, Monabooks.UK.
    Two new books by Dr. Clive Layton are also available, Shotokan Dawn Supplement which should be read with or after Shotokan Dawn I and II, deals with the lost files and BKF register information.
    The forth book, Shotokan Horizon, early karate before the BKF, about Vernon's training with Henry Plee in France.
    All four books are available from monabooks.co.uk, and good book shops.
    Mike Burton

Likes (received)

Default A bit pricey

You can buy volume one and two for £29 for both (plus postage) from cyberbudo.com
    And if you ask nicely Terry Wingrove (who features heavily in the book) may even sign your copy....
    Cyberbudo do the Irish volume a few quid cheaper as well.
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

I have both volumes stamped and signed by Vernon Bell If you have not yet read them they are worth a look.

Pete Martin

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Books
    Back in 2002, Dr Clive Layton wrote two books on the life of Vernon Bell and the formation of the British Karate Federation in Great Britain. The two books were called SHOTOKAN DAWN Vol. I and Vol. II ( A selected, early history of Shotokan karate in Great Britain 1956 - 1966 ). Only 300 copies were printed and most were sold within Vernon's clubs so a lot of this historical information has never been available to read up until now. Shotokan Dawn Vol. I and Vol. II have been reprinted and now available from the publishers, Monabooks.UK.
    Two new books by Dr. Clive Layton are also available, Shotokan Dawn Supplement which should be read with or after Shotokan Dawn I and II, deals with the lost files and BKF register information.
    The forth book, Shotokan Horizon, early karate before the BKF, about Vernon's training with Henry Plee in France.
    Dear Mike,

What a nice surprise to see you here on E-Budo.

I've only just returned from 7-weeks overseas and was going to contact you about the latest two publications.

Met Anthony Kirby at SENI who was kind enough to hand me the said books in person; thank you very much. Like the first two publications, I also think Layton sensei did a wonderful job on these last two, too.

I'm back teaching in the UK this fall and hope that we might get a chance to catch up then.

Cheers
    Patrick McCarthy
    International Ryukyu Karate-jutsu Research Society
    http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Books
    Great to know that Mr. Bell has been given the credit he deserves. Prior to this announcement, the most I could find on him was a short passage in Peter Lewis' book, where Mr. Bell is called the "Father of English Karate".

Thus, these new books ought to be interesting reading.

Congratulations to all involved!
    Hieroteo Villarosa V

Likes (received)

History of Karate in Great Britain.

Shotokan Dawn volume I £12.95
    Shotokan Dawn volume II £12.95
    Shotokan Supplement £12.95
    Shotokan Horizon £7.95
    Shotokan dawn over Ireland £7.95
    You dont have to dress to kill, early Women in karate. £6.95

What a selction of books to go with, why not buy one at a time and here is a great way to do it.
    To enable you to enjoy your reading at an affordable price we are offering these books as follows, as above.

If you want to order please go to www.monabooks.co.uk or www.shotokandawn.co.uk and enter the price quoted.

Thank you for your support.

Regards, Mike
    Mike Burton