Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Who makes signs?

Likes (received)

Default Who makes signs?

I have my ideas for how I want to recreate a very simplistic and minimal atmosphere that might best respect and give homage to the Honbu, US Shibu, and to the teachings of my Soke and the support of my classmates from afar. To each their own--these are what are important to me.

I would like to find a US supplier that could tastefully reproduce the mon of our koryu in wood. I imagine that this would be done by a computer-aided router. Any ideas?

And of lesser authenticity, I would like to get a couple small banners made illustrating school lineage and kata listings. I imagine these could be vinyl banners or of other material. Any links or direction derived from 1st hand experience, word-of-mouth, (or I suppose even rumour) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ryan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by swordscholar
    I would like to find a US supplier that could tastefully reproduce the mon of our koryu in wood. I imagine that this would be done by a computer-aided router. Any ideas?
    Kind of hard pressed to find at a reasonable price that big for a lazer or computer cut.., but you could find a stained glass person, I have seen them put the vinyl on wood and sandblast the design right in.

good luck to you.

Jeff Duncan

Likes (received)

Your local FedEx Kinko's could do the banners for you. They can do long paper banners, several sizes of fabric banners, etc.

For the kamon plaque, check you local Yellow Pages for sign shops and call around to see who works in wood. Even the ones that don't may be able to put you in touch with ones that do.

You could also search for woodcarvers, woodworkers, etc. Again, if the ones you reach don't do that kind of work they may well have professional contacts with people who do.

Good luck; it sounds like a worthy project.

[Moderator hat on]
    Please remember to include your full name on all posts per E-Budo rules. Thanks.
    [Moderator hat off]
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hi Ryan,

I produce digital Kanji works, lineages (also bilingual!), inkan (seals) etc.

Take alook at my website to get an impression: Andi goes Art
    See example pdf of lineages
    Read on inkan

I have lots of different fonts I use (Kaishu, Gyosho, Sosho), including different seal scripts. See Catalogue of Fonts.

If I can be of help preparing anything to be used for print or any other kind of production, just let me know via PM or andiquast@googlemail.com.
    Last edited by Shikiyanaka; 16th May 2007 at 11:48.
    Best regards

Andreas Quast

We are Pope!

Likes (received)

I make signs, I make signs!!!

Unfortunetly I live in Australia at the moment so I probably can't help much, look for engraving shops in the phonebooks, mostly engraving is done via CNC machines so you can give digital designs and they'll engrave it for you. There's plenty of metal choices, and ask for a resin based paint for longevity (the paint's not yours). Vinyl is also a very good choice, but be aware that if you want some really small kanji they won't come out properly.
    Etching (acid or otherwise) is done to very shallow level so it is easy to scratch the paint off (again, I recommend actual engraving over all of this but usually that ends up as being more expensive)

Wish I could help more, but again, Australia...
    -Amir Barak

"You get what you pay for, But I had no intention of living this way" - Adam Duritz

Likes (received)

Thanks, you all have given me much to think about. I sent out a few emails to a bunch of sign shops today and hope to get some good feedback. I'm thinking about sandblasting (?) for the wooden mon plaque. The problem is finding a place that's willing to do smalll (minimal quantity) projects. Hopefully one of these sites will take it on. Thanks again

Ryan Holter
    T. Ryan Holter of the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo<tm> in San Francisco

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by swordscholar
    Thanks, you all have given me much to think about. I sent out a few emails to a bunch of sign shops today and hope to get some good feedback. I'm thinking about sandblasting (?) for the wooden mon plaque. The problem is finding a place that's willing to do smalll (minimal quantity) projects. Hopefully one of these sites will take it on. Thanks again

Ryan Holter
    I know of a shop in michigan Called Custom Effects, they sandblast/stained glass/ embroidery/cut vinyl, but she is always a month behind if you dont mind waiting.. She did the 4x8 wooden sign for the gun shop in that is in town. ce@usol.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma
    I make signs, I make signs!!!

Unfortunetly I live in Australia at the moment so I probably can't help much, look for engraving shops in the phonebooks, mostly engraving is done via CNC machines so you can give digital designs and they'll engrave it for you. There's plenty of metal choices, and ask for a resin based paint for longevity (the paint's not yours). Vinyl is also a very good choice, but be aware that if you want some really small kanji they won't come out properly.
    Etching (acid or otherwise) is done to very shallow level so it is easy to scratch the paint off (again, I recommend actual engraving over all of this but usually that ends up as being more expensive)

Wish I could help more, but again, Australia...
    I fully agree with you on the acid etching, and paint its almost not worth the time for the duration that they last/ aging they can take...
    Although I do disagree with you on the vinyl not being able to be detailed when you get small... maybe they were just using too thin kof vinyl 2mil is very flexable and can be weeded out to an extremely small size/ fine detail

Jeff Duncan

Likes (received)

Default sorry for necroposting

I know it's an old thread but I know there's a place called Crane-mountain that makes wooden placcards w/ Kanji for all kinds of things. They're ma and pa establishment from New England area that travel to training camps and sell Kobudo weapons and signs. They're of the highest quality and you can pick your own woods for the signs/weapons.

and ftr, I'm not related w/ them at all, I just think they sell good gear and deserve the business
    Ryan Close

Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo

International Karate Kobudo Federation