Likes Likes:  1

View Poll Results: Bujinkan tattoos (of Takamatsu Sensei)?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it is cool!

23 22.55%
  • No, it looks absurd!

79 77.45%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bujinkan tattoos, your take?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan London View Post
    Many were completely unrecognizable and were mere blotches. Yuck.
    You could say the same about being old, really-I'm looking forward to being "completely unrecognizable," and a "mere blotch" of my former self.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan London View Post
    While tattoos may look cool now, they are pretty much permenant and a couple of decades from now they won't look so cool.

I've had my tattoo for close to 25 years, now, and it's still good-modern inks and technology make for less degradation over time.....more importantly, in a couple more decades, when I'm completely unrecognizable and a mere blotch of my former self-along with my tattoo-will I really care?

My grandkids or great grandkids will point to the blotch on my forearm, and ask what it is, and I'll say It used to be a dragon.......

.....and so did I.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by elder999 View Post
    My grandkids or great grandkids will point to the blotch on my forearm, and ask what it is, and I'll say It used to be a dragon.......

.....and so did I.
    Nah. You're more likely to say,

"Eh? Speak up! Who are you again, anyway? And where's my orderly?"

Since people are debating the tattoo issue, I thought I'd post my favorite discourse on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2pSt2gACrc
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Hello all,

Here are a few rules I would follow. Never get a girlfriend's name or face inked on you. It is almost always a death knell for the relationship. Same rule should apply for budo. Never get your budo inked on you because you might change interests! "Dad, why do you have an old Japanese guy on your arm?" "Well it was your mother's face but when we broke up I had the artist do what he could with it..."

Also never wear a band's tee-shirt to the show. It's just a dorky fan-boy thing to do. A tattoo is like a tee-shirt you can't take off. At the Aikikai hombu: "Doshu, check it out I got your grandfather's face tattooed on my back cool huh?"
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Wink Tattoos

WOW! I love the thread. The end result is that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. That freedom alone is what make this planet a better place to live. As for me!
    I have a tattoo of a TENGU that span my entire back. It looks very very beautiful i might add. I also have a SHISHI LION on my right arm. I am also in the process of getting another SHISHI LION and the SHISHI LION NOH MASK.

As far as what is or isn't the ninja thing to do is a matter of opinion. You can meet someone with 100 budo tats and not be a martial artist. Just a huge fan of the culture and arts. Blending in doesnt necessarily mean to be plain.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by khameleon59 View Post
    I have a tattoo of a TENGU that span my entire back.
    Please post a photograph. I'm interested in different interpretations of tengu.
    Carl Hamlin
    -----------------------------------------
    'The etiquette that underlies all martial arts is based on the assumption that the person with whom you are dealing is standing before you wearing three feet of razor sharp steel.' - George Ledyard

Likes (received)

Wink Tengu Tattoo

I will when it is complete. I have like 3 more sessions. It has been too cold in NYC to have it finished. However I went with the HUMAN version of the TENGU with the big nose and holding a bo staff. Nothing too fancy just a grey wash tattoo. It is just huge.

Likes (received)

All of the great budo masters worth a great respect, so it is frivolous to do any tattoos about them;

Likes (received)

I think that to a great degree, it is a matter of personal taste, particularly in the US. But having said that, I think that one should at least consider how their choice of tattoo is going to viewed by others.

While it may be personal taste, and of course, the arguement that it is their body so who cares does apply, people are just as free to view the wearer of the tatoo with approval, contempt, or neutrality.

Yes, it is a person's legal right to have satanic tatoos if they so choose, but if they do so choose, then they have no right to complain when others are turned off by such tatoos. It is also someone's legal right to have the words, "I hate cops" tatooed on their forehead. But they forfiet the right to be upset when every cop they run into heckles them. I subscribe to the notion of "think it through."

Tatooing a sensie's face onto one's arm is not likely to offend the general public, but as has been pointed out, it could be looked down upon by fellow kan members. Personally, I think a kanji is in better taste, but hey,that's me.

Daniel
    Daniel Sullivan

Likes (received)

"My grandkids or great grandkids will point to the blotch on my forearm, and ask what it is, and I'll say It used to be a dragon.......

.....and so did I."

I love this!

It's true too, if all you're living for is to be old and grey then you're not living for very much.

The great thing about tattoos is that they are personal.
    And they can mean personal things to people, who knows what this tattoo means to the wearer, and I can respect that, it could be very deep and meaningful and it could be stupid. I can never judge without knowing more which none of us do.

Think about this.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by spartanmachine View Post
    It's true too, if all you're living for is to be old and grey then you're not living for very much.
    Isn't that the very reason that some people give for studying arts such as the Bujinkan, that they can one day get to be old and grey?
    John Anderson

Likes (received)

I agree that the true value of tattoos is (or probably should be) personal.
    personally, I feel that even if images of the temporal world are used- and in this, I am including images of people- then they should hold some meaning for the wearer that references the eternal. For instance, there may be an image of a particular animal used as a tattoo. In this case IMHO, it is better used because of a meaning attributed to teh 'spirit' of the animal, or a quality if you prefer.
    for the image of a person, better a quality that person embodied, than purely adoration of their existence.
    hope that makes sufficient sense, apologies for any ambiguity.
    (my two cents)
    -Michael Fitzgerald.

Likes (received)

"Isn't that the very reason that some people give for studying arts such as the Bujinkan, that they can one day get to be old and grey?"

Yes but it isn't ALL they're living for.

"than purely adoration of their existence"

Yes and as it's personal and we haven't spoken to the wearer, we don't know that this is the case. It could be for what this person feels they have received because of the person they have the tattoo of. Or a host of other reasons. Which could be deeply personal to just stupid, this whole post is based on judging without all the facts.

Likes (received)

Talking How about Water Boy!!

The guy that played on happy days teh Faunzz ( Crap I don't know how to spell it!! ) ) When he said "what she doesn't know won't hurt her" and pulled down his pants and it was a tat on his butt cheek of Roy Orbison!! what did he learn from Roy Obison?? LOL That was funny!! and it made me cry

Just my 2 cents LOL
    Eric Putman
    Kusakage Dojo

Likes (received)

Eric...

That would be AUTHUR FONZARELLI. AKA: The FONZ.

Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

Well I am not Japanese so I would not get any Japanese symbols. I do have a Wyvern, the symbol of the Saxons under Alfred the great. Yes I am english by desent. Was considering getting a Norse or Northern German tattoo, my other half.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast