Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tessen & Jutte

PghRonin Guest

Smile Tessen & Jutte in AikiJujutsu

What is some of your opinions of the use of tessen and jutte in Aikijujutsu?

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 28th March 2014 at 02:29.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

PghRonin Guest

Default Tessen & Jutte

Nathan Scott,
    Which videos by Soke Angier were the tessen - jutte demonstrations done. I would like to get these videos.

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 28th March 2014 at 02:30.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Likes (received)

Hi guys,

First, the scenes in the videos are very few and done for just an example. There are clips of tessen on the hojo and kenjutsu tapes and jutte on the hojo, but just in the introduction.

Obviously, in our school we do both jutte and tessen.
    The tessen, though primarily a striking weapon, can be used to trap, control, or throw, and compliments the jujutsu quite nicely.
    The jutte is primarily a disarming tool sometimes used in combination with a tessen or jo. I would have to disagree with you on this one though Nathan, I believe the jutte works quite well at disarming a swordsman...if used properly.

The jutte in our school is a bit uncommon. The hook is longer than most and tapers outward from the bottom, that is, it is designed to be able to accomodate swords, pole weapons, and limbs. Though some jutte were indeed only badges to show rank, some were even hollow, but others were designed to be used. Some had as many as four hooks, while some had none. Some even had chains connected to them. They were often used in groups, or with the others using weapons such as the mitsu dogu.

As far as Aiki schools that use them, I understand that Daito Ryu has a series of tessen techniques, and I believe Arashi Ryu and Kaze Arashi Ryu (not related) both have tessen in their curriculum, but other than that I don't know.

Its kinda up in the air right now, but the next video we produce may be on tessen or tessen and jutte together, since many of the techniques cross over. We just finished kenjutsu #4 on short sword.

Oh, and Nathan (if I may call you Nathan) please not Mr. Elias. Rich or Richard is fine. Mr. Elias is just too formal for me, makes me think your talking about someone else. Like my father.
    Richard Elias
    Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu
    Yanagi Ryu

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

I believe that there is a photo sequence in the current Bugei Trading catalog featuring J. Williams using the jutte.

Richard, do the Bugei jutte approximate those you describe as used in your practice?
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

hello all,

I am basing this off of a list of the entire Hiden Mokuroku found on one of Kondo sensei's students websites. i can not say how acurate it is past the ikkajo section, but in the gokajo section it list a waza (or possibly group of waza) caller "jutte dori". this past weekend i had a chance to train with Kondo sensei. after a special class with him we were waiting for Mr. Goss, Kondo sensei picked up some sort of club or short stick and began swinging it in a very prescribed manner. i watched him for a min. and asked if he was doing jutte and he said yes, and that tessen could be moved in a similar fashion as well. i don't know if that means there is jutte in Daito-ryu but i5t seems Kondo sensei knows something.

gambatte!!!
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

PghRonin Guest

Richard,
    When will the Kenjutsu #4 video be a available? I just recently made a suggestion to Toby Threadgill and James Williams at Bugei to see if Don Angeir will be producing a tessen and jutte video. I hope that you guys decide to go ahead and produce the video.

PghRonin Guest

What is a Hachiwari exactly? In my opinion it is just a style of jutte. Can anyone help me with this one?

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Richard A Tolson Guest

Richard,
    You are correct. Arashi-ryu does have tessenjutsu as a part of our curriculum. We have eight omote techniques which are based on our jujutsu methods and several ura techniques for dealing with opponents armed with other traditional weapons.
    Nathan,
    The koryu that specializes in the use of the jutte is Ikkaku-ryu. This art is now a part of the Shinto Muso-ryu curriculum. Though I would agree that I would not desire to attempt these techniques solo against a swordsman.
    Perhaps the hachiwari was actually an early Samurai version of the can opener???

Likes (received)

Walker-"do the Bugei jutte approximate those you describe as used in your practice?"

No, they don't. Unfortunately I haven't found any comercially available that are similar. The ones we have at the dojo my teacher had custom made.
    I heard you might be at the demo in texas. Maybe I can get my teacher to let me bring one to the seminar, if not I will bring some pics of one so you can see what I'm talking about.

Tom-"When will the Kenjutsu #4 video be a available?"

Actually we just got them copied off the master last week and they should be available through bugei even now. I'm not sure how much they charge, you'll have to give them a call. We will have some with us in texas this weekend. There is a pretty good chance that the next tape we make will be on tessen/jutte. But it probably wouldn't be available til around this time next year..or so.

I have some old film of Ikkaku ryu, which also includes tessen, and some of Kaminoda Sensei performing jutte and tessen. They use the jutte and tessen together sometimes, one in each hand. The jutte is also combined with, or followed by, the application of hojojutsu. The hojojutsu of Shinto Muso Ryu comes from the Ittatsu Ryu. Though technially they are not "aiki" or "jujutsu" arts.

Incidently, I don't think it was very common for a man armed with only a jutte to go one-on-one with an armed samurai. The jutte is an arresting weapon not a killing one (not that you can't). It would be an unwise officer that went to apprehend a trained samurai without back-up. Though I think it can be done, the jutte does offer alot of leverage and control. But most officers were not bushi, and not as highly trained or skilled enough to go it alone.

So the one with the jutte captures the sword, while others entangle his sleeves and trip-up his legs. Sound reasonable?

Richard Elias
    Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu
    Yanagi Ryu

Likes (received)

Richard,
    I’ll be there next weekend and look forward to meeting you.
    Bugei announced on their BBS that Ken jutsu 4 will be available this week.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Richard A Tolson Guest

Richard,
    Could you please give us a preview of the types of techniques that are covered on Kenjutsu #4?
    BTW, I have Angier Sensei's hojojutsu tape and think it is excellent!
    Friends,
    The 1998 BUDOSAI videotape available at Mugendo Budogu http://www.budogu.com features some of the Ikkaku-ryu jutte and tessen techniques.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast