Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Torishimaru aikijutsu/ Richard Behrens

JBG Guest

Question

I'm seeking information on the Torishimaru Aiki Jutsu system and Richard Behrens. I am currently reading his book "Teachings of a Grand Master", and was hoping to find some commentary on the man and his system. Are there students of the art itself, out there, and/or students of systems that are associated with this style, who could properly enlighten me?

Respectfully,
    John B. Griffith

Walter Kopitov Guest

I don't know anything about him but I found Senso Ryu Aikijutsu and that shihan has a photo of the two together.
    I tried to get information from Mr. Hanaluk and he said all the info is on his web site and if I want more I should visit him at his dojo. his web site is http://www.aiki-jutsu.com I am wondering if anyone has heard of Enio Sotou Roshi (1912-1992) it states that he taught for 50 years are there any other of his students out there.
    Walter Kopitov

Likes (received)

I believe in the book he lists his website, if not just type in Torishimaru Aikijutsu and his site will come up. I haven't been there in awhile, but one time it told me that I was "restricted" from the pages.
    "Hard won, buy easy lost. True karate does not stay where it is not being used."

Likes (received)

I came across Mr. Behrens' web page a couple of years ago, and found it to be quite "unique".

His web page seems to be offline right now, but I remember it being really metaphysical, and he was big into hypnotism or something.

The only meaning for Torishimaru that's poping up in my jiten at work is that of managing, controlling or supervising. Not knowing the kanji though, it is hard to say for sure. If this was the definition he was going for, it is likely that the translation for torishimaru was misunderstood out of proper context, and was intended to mean controlling the opponent of something (I wish people would provide kanji when using Japanese names!)

Frankly, the use of the term "Grand Master" is typically enough to get me suspicious barring any other incriminating evidence. I'd make sure to check his credentials out thoroughly before signing up.

Anyone else have any experience with Mr. Behrens?

Regards,

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

I read some of his book (couldn't get through the whole thing) I also found his website a while back when it was still up. He openly admits he made up what he does from previous martial arts experience and Jewish mysticism. He uses Hebrew terms for alot of the energy stuff normally refered to in Japanese of Chinese terms. Some of it is a bit far-fetched for my tastes. But I'm not a Grand Master either.
    Richard Elias
    Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu
    Yanagi Ryu

JBG Guest

Thanks all for the input so far, much appreciated. Can someone pass along the URL for his website?

Thanks,

John B. Griffith

P.S. Yes I thought it was a LOT far-fetched, too. Including, but not limited, to the section where he explains how he fires bolts of feminine energy from the palms of his hands to paralyze his opponents.

MarkF Guest

Wink Mushugga aiki?

Originally posted by Richard Elias
    I read some of his book (couldn't get through the whole thing) I also found his website a while back when it was still up. He openly admits he made up what he does from previous martial arts experience and Jewish mysticism. He uses Hebrew terms for alot of the energy stuff normally refered to in Japanese of Chinese terms. Some of it is a bit far-fetched for my tastes. But I'm not a Grand Master either.
    Hi, Richard,
    While searching for a link to Behrens website (no luck; it seems to be unavailable), I found an interesting aikdo site at http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/Yos...eidokanaikido/ and an Israeli dojo called aikiDojo. This is the homepage of Yoav Rosental, and what he does there is called "Seidokan Aikido."

OK, you caught me, I am really trying to find the meaning of seidokan used here, as Seidokan Aikido, apparently a style from R. Kobayashi. What also interested me was what Richard said of "Jewish Mysticism" of the Behrens Aiki jutsu and any connection between the two. Mr. Rosental states his major interest is in learning/studying the Torah, the most deeply religious document(s) and difficult even for one versed in Hebrew.

Granted, there is much "mysticism" in most ancient religions, and even more in these documents, I just wondered where he (Behrens) got this from, and how they applied, if at all, to budo, or to aikijujtsu or aikiDo, at all.

Anyone know anything about this? Richard, do you have any examples?

Mark

BTW: This is only personal in that I'm Jewish and it would be interesting to know from where his ideas came. Also, it would be possible to use Hebrew sources and not necessarily Jewish ones. But the loose tie-in from this, to an aikidoka with an intense interest in the Torah, is one I've not seen before, or just from where this "Jewish mysticism" of Behrens comes and how he ties it, or replaces the Japanese with Hebrew terms.

Thanks in advance.

Likes (received)

I think that most of his mysticism would stem from the Kabbalah. I know of this system, but not any specifics.
    From his book he replaces words like "Ki" with the Hebrew word for breath "Ruach". Alot of his psychic stuff is taught in courses such as the Silva Mind Method. He seems to have actually pulled from alot of different esoteric systems and put them into one using Hebrew terminology.

I tried to look up the website to give you the address, but I don't think it exists anymore. It didn't even come up on the search engine at all. From what I remember, I don't think his martial art is that different from existing arts as far as physical techniques. I think that it's main difference is the application of the "mind" principles.

"Hard won, buy easy lost. True karate does not stay where it is not being used."

Martin Collier Guest

Default Sotou Roshi

I studied Zen meditation with E.Sotou Roshi in Hollywood Florida from 1989 to 1991. I knew Ted Hanaluk during that time also. He was a city of Sunrise Police officer and Soto Roshi's top student. Sotou Roshi also taught martial arts but I never got involved in it myself. He had quite a few students. By the time I left, I believe Sotou Roshi was begining to get ill. he was quite old at the time. I ran into Ted a couple of years later, he was running a nightclub in Ft. Lauderdale. He told me that Sotou Roshi had died and that he had been teaching since. He invited me to his studio but I never made it. That's all I know. Hope it helps. If you have an e-mail on Ted I would like to talk to him again. I'm shocked to see this post!

MarkF Guest

Hi, Kevin,
    Thanks, I think I understand what it is he was attaempting to do. I just happened onto that other site while searching for another way to Behrens' website.

BTW: I found his web address for what it's worth, but as you say, it isn't available. From Google.com search http://www.brownergalleries.com/aiki/index.html

It takes you to an error page, though.

Mr. Collier,
    Welcome to E-budo. The Email on Hanulak I found is hanulak@worldnet.att.net. He seems to be in Indiannapolis as of now.

Also, here is a page with aiki sites, Zen, etc., on which I found the info. There is a tie in with Diane Skoss here, and http://koryu.com . http://www.labs.agilent.com/personal...itch/aiki.html .

Likes (received)

Mark,

Hey, I'm mostly Jewish too.

I believe Kevin is right, that most of Behren's stuff comes from the Kabbalah. He states that he is Jewish and had been persueing such studies for some time. Some of it also sounds reminisent of some of Alister Crowley's work. He was very big on "Jewish" or "Hebrew" mysticism and the Key of Soloman. He did some exstensive writings on the subject. Interesting stuff.

There are other works and Hebrew texts that deal with such subjects, though I can't recall titles just now. I have read some that were translated to english and much of it has to do with various forms of Yoga-like meditation and breathing practices along with prayer/chanting and sometimes physical movement.

What all this has to do with Aikijujutsu proper, I have no idea. I don't think it does really. Behren's, I think, was just going with what he knows. Why learn Japanese or Chinese energy/spiritual practices or methods when you already have something that yields the same results and is more tuned to who you are and what you believe.

Besides, I get the idea he didn't study any tradtional form of Aikijujutsu(ie. Daito ryu) but put the stuff together himself.
    Richard Elias
    Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu
    Yanagi Ryu

MarkF Guest

Hi, Richard,
    Yiddishe kapf, eh? Well, there is a kind of moving meditation, but you know that, if you went to shul regularly and watched some of the orthodox elders. Daven-ing, isn't it? (pardon my phonetic spellings). I thought of the Kabbalah right off, but since the word "mystic(al)" was used, there are infinite teachings, etc., which could be taken from others, but spoken in Hebrew. I wan't trying to be the upstart and assume people know I'm Jewish simply based on my surname.

My Ex's family name is O'brien and she is definitely Jewish. You know what they say about the Irish and Jews, don't you? Well, one day I'll introduce you to that 28 year old ne'er-do-well son of mine.

Anyway, the subject got my neck hairs up, and tried to segue in through a mild interest in an Israeli aiki dojo.

Regards, and thanks to all who helped explain what Richie does, or tries to do. Funny, though, but I've heard his name off and on over the years, but could never pin down what it was he did, in MA, anyway. Then again, I didn't go online until summer of 1999.

Mark