Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do we know enough to teach?

Likes (received)

Default Do we know enough to teach?

Gassho!

Another topic I'm certainly not the first to start.
    Since the PISA tests caused quite a shock here in Germany – we did not do so well – there has been an ongoing discussion about (among other things) what someone needs to be able to teach, what has to go into training teachers etc. Now, in martial arts it is quite common for people to teach just because they reach a certain level in their art, or even just because there's no one else around who knows more about it. Do we need more than that to teach?
    Should Kenshi who face the responsibility of teaching attend courses in pedagogics or something else that helps them to teach? (What about first aid?)
    At least those who don't teach children can probably not do as much damage as real teachers, though the physical damage that can be caused through poor warm-up, insufficiently controlled randori etc. is surely quite a risk by itself.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

Done first aid courses. Have been taught seiho for basic kempo related injuries. Ask me to get qualified in 'pedagogics' and I'll resign. No idea what it is, but sounds like something awfully boring!
    Sean Dixie

Likes (received)

Jan, do you have a link that would explain the "PISA tests"? I'm going to assume it has nothing to do with a certain leaning building in Northern Italy...
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Default PISA-tests

Gassho!

http://www.pisa.oecd.org/pages/0,298..._1_1_1,00.html
    I'm a bit surprised – I thought those were pretty famous internationally. Maybe there just infamous here.

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

This is an interesting question to me. In brevity, I believe there's a distinction between teaching and certifying. Anyone who knows more than you about something can teach you. Some med student who's taken some courses in surgery could probably teach me some things about surgery, but I don't think you'd want me performing any surgery on you. Teachers should abound. And I think the training of teachers to teach well is important, though not something we could easily regulate in the arts. It is challenging to create standards for how martial arts should be taught; and the consumer market probably drives out some of the bad apples. However, while many people can be teachers, I think one of the deeper questions here comes in certification of rank and the right to rank. In that, I wonder if our community should be more guarded about to whom it is we grant the right to rank others.

Steve Pearlman
    www.praxismartialarts.com
    Author, The Book of Martial Power