Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Yagyu Shingan-ryu heiho / taijutsu

Likes (received)

Hi Chris

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify are we saying that Sato Sensei had been taught two different lines and had passed one of them to Mr Tanemura and the other to the students listed on jujutsu.com?

Thanks

Richard Dias

Likes (received)

To be honest, I'm not sure. It's possible that Tanemura was taught this art my someone else and not Sato at all. But again, I'm not sure. I would suggest emailing the Genbukan about it. From my minimal correspondance with them, they are very good at replying to honest, respectful questions concerning the sources for the material they teach.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Chris Ames

Mekugi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick3127
    Hi all

A question for any genbukan members. I was wondering what the difference was between Yagyu Shingan Kacchu Yawara and Yagyu Shingan Heijutsu?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Richard Dias
    I'm not a member of the Genbukan, but here is something that might help:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

Likes (received)

Also, I forgot in my last post, there is a website:

www.arakido.org
    Chris Ames

Likes (received)

Default Yagyu Shingan Ryu

Hello Richard,

Having conferred with Philip Hinshelwood of the Yagyu Shingan Ryu in Australia, Kacchu 甲冑 means armor (yoroi 鎧) referring to that which was worn by warriors on the battlefield. Yawara is an alternative word for Jujutsu (i.e. 柔 やわら - Yawara and 柔術 じゅうじゅつ - Jujutsu use the same character meaning 'soft').

Heijutsu means 'warrior art or technique'. 兵 へい - hei meaning soldier or warrior or sometimes translated as military, and 術 じゅつ -jutsu meaning 'art of'. So Heijutsu could be translated as warrior art or military art.

I am a student of Yagyu Shingan Ryu which was founded by Takenaga Hayato. Our Yagyu Shingan Ryu Heihojutsu has Kacchu Yawara in its syllabus, but I know nothing of the training content of the Genbukan.

Our tradition Yagyu Shingan Ryu Heihojutsu under Headmaster Shimazu Kenji has a branch school in Australia, Sweden and France.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Sarah Lappin

Likes (received)

Default Yagyu Shingan Ryu Heijutsu

Hi Richard,

I just read your post dated 6/12/2006 re Yagyu Shingan Ryu Heijutsu. I don't know how much or to what level of Yagyu Shingan Kacchu Yawara was taught to Mr. Tanemura by Sato Kinbei. According to Yagyu Shingan Ryu records Sato Kinbei passed his Yagyu Shingan Ryu line on to Takeuchi Nobuyoshi.

Sato Kinbei received the tradition from Suzuki Sensaku Tadamori. Hope this helps you with your research.

Regards,

Simon Louis

Likes (received)

Default YSR Popularity

Hello Everyone,

Just an observation. It only seems like yesterday (1995 in fact), that I was talking to the Australian Shibucho of Yagyu Shingan-ryu Heiho-jutsu Chikuosha branch, about how YSR was (then) a very little known system, even in Japan. Then the "Information Super-Highway," rudely invaded our conscoisness! Now I don't think there's a martial artist without access to the net that isn't aware of Yagyu Shingan-ryu and its various branches.

Ciao,
    Paul Steadman

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

though as with everything, Internet related information should be taken with a grain of salt (a bit of pepper and maybe some basil) :P
    for the more accurate answers one should usually try to go to the source...

I think the Internet had a massive effect on the distribution of knowledge in general and can be an amazing tool (although like with any tool one must be careful lest one injures himself), if anything I wish there was more information on the koryu!!
    -Amir Barak

"You get what you pay for, But I had no intention of living this way" - Adam Duritz

Likes (received)

Dear all, there is more information on this here:

http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site...pic_topicID=11

From that source it seems that

The Genbukan style taught is a branch of Hoshi Sadakichi; more specifically through Suzuki Sensaku. (note Tanemura Sensei has Menkyo Kaiden in this branch)

(Arakido is a totally different Yagyu Shingan-ryu with a different founder.)

There are two lines of Yagyu Shingan-ryu. The Edo-line is known as Taijustu (Arakido), and the Sendai-line is called Heijutsu. Hoshi Sadakichi, Suzuki Sensaku and Sato Kinbei were all masters of the Sendai-line, Heijutsu.

Hope that clarifies things a little
    Paul Greaves
    ''Skill is aquired via sweat equity''

Likes (received)

In the old panther videos Tanemura says sato kinbei(spelling) taught him yagyu shingan ryu. i beleive it was on the 3rd jujutsu vid.
    bob

Likes (received)

This is an interesting website on the Yagyu Shingan Ryu from Europe.

http://www.yagyushinganryu.se/history.php

Regards,

Simon

Simon Louis

Likes (received)

Default Sato Sensei

Quote Originally Posted by seijaku kage
    In the old panther videos Tanemura says sato kinbei(spelling) taught him yagyu shingan ryu. i beleive it was on the 3rd jujutsu vid.

Yep, thats right. I think its on the 5th video where is shows Kata from various ryu-ha. I also have a dvd which celebrates Tanemura Sensei's 50th year as a budoka, on this dvd it has footage of Sato sensei demonstrating YSR (I think) at one of the USA TaiKais.

I also read Michael Coleman Kyoshi's book "Warrior Apprenticeship with the Grand Master", and from memory (was a borrowed copy so I cant reference), he has been awarded the first level densho/grade in YSR (sorry, not sure of the grade levels in YSR). I cant remember if this was awarded to him by Tanemura Sensei or Sato Sensei. Either way I'm sure that Tanemura Sensei's YSR training came from Sato Sensei.

Perhaps I'm not the best person to post on this issue, but I hope it helps.

Thanks
    Gregory Davis

Mekugi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bu-kusa

(Arakido is a totally different Yagyu Shingan-ryu with a different founder.)
    Supposidly they all go back to Ushu Tatewaki, the branches today have two lineal progenies.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mekugi
    Supposidly they all go back to Ushu Tatewaki, the branches today have two lineal progenies.
    They are still duking it out on the YRS article on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagyu_Shingan_Ryu. All this is beyond my league though.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by EcoRI
    on this dvd it has footage of Sato sensei demonstrating YSR (I think) at one of the USA TaiKais.
    In the early 90's Tanemura Sensei brought Sato Kinbei sensei and Sato Sensei's daughter to New York City during a Genbukan Taikai. All three demonstrated Yagyu Shingan-ryu (not necessarily at the same time) and it was stated by Tanemura Sensei, in front of Sato Sensei and his daughter, that he learned it from Sato Sensei.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast