Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Yagyu Shingan-ryu heiho / taijutsu

Likes (received)

Arrow Edo-line Yagyu Shingan-ryu

Gentlemen, allow me to make sense of all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steadman View Post
    I am aware that the Taijutsu-line differs technically from the Sendai line and was also wondering who formed the Taijutsu/Edo line of YSR?
    Headmaster Koyama Samon moved to Edo (Tokyo) later in life and operated a dojo there for 18 years. Life in Japan’s capital (Edo) was far different from that of his hometown of Sendai. This led to the style’s initial evolution. Matsuo Oriemon, who had received a license from Koyama, continued to pass-on the Edo style of Yagyu Shingan-ryu after Koyama retired to his hometown of Sendai.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steadman View Post
    I’ve heard that there are a few lines of YSR Heiho (Sendai line), but I was wondering how many branches of the Edo line of YSR exist.
    There is only one main-line (unbroken lineage) school of Yagyu Shingan-ryu Taijutsu and that is “Arakido”, headed by 11th Headmaster Kajitsuka Yasushi. Just as there is only one main-line school of Yagyu Shingan-ryu Heiho, headed by Hoshi Kunio II. In regard to off-shoot schools of Edo-line YSR, there are a couple of individuals, but none of them hold Menkyo Kaiden, and all of them acknowledge Kajitsuka Yasushi as the “Headmaster”. Therefore, they aren’t really separate lines as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Louvere View Post
    The YSR Edo line appears to have diverted into four lines. All these Headmasters are Menkyo Kaiden in the Edo line.
    1. Ishikawa Yashiroji
    2. Fujisada Takeo
    3. Shimazu Kenji
    4. Kajisuka Yasushi
    The Soke of their particular branch are for example Shimazu Kenji Yagyu Shingan Ryu 'Chikuosha' and Kajisuka Yasushi Yagyu Shingan Ryu 'Arakido'.
    Firstly, Kajitsuka Yasushi is the headmaster of Yagyu Shingan-ryu Taijutsu (Edo-line). He has not formed “a branch”. Secondly, Fujisada was a disciple of Headmaster Yamamoto, as was Muto Masao. When Muto Masao was chosen as heir to Yagyu Shingan-ryu Taijutsu (10th Soke), Fujisada served under him. He did not break away and form a new branch. I should also note that Fujisada did not receive the full transmission of Yagyu Shingan-ryu Taijutsu, and neither did Ishikawa Yashiroji. Now in regard to Shimazu Kenji, Yes, it is a fact that the Hidenkan Makimono was awarded to Yorifuji Chuhachiro by Headmaster Ohshima Masateru in 1858. Shimazu Kenji’s teacher was Aizawa Tomio who was a master of the Sendai-line of YSR, known as Heiho. Aizawa’s sister married a member of the Yorifuji family who lived in Kansai. Aizawa was permitted to study Yorifuji’s densho, but never actually trained under Yorifuji. Now, getting back to Shimazu sensei, he began training under Aizawa in 1955. Aizawa died in 1961. After Aizawa’s death, Shimazu continued to study the “Heiho” under Headmaster Hoshi Kunio. It was Otsubo Shiho (master of Yagyu Shinkage-ryu) who introduced them. Shimazu sensei does not hold Menkyo Kaiden in Edo-line YSR. This being said, I highly respect Shimazu sensei and vouch for his outstanding ability and efforts to foster Yagyu Shingan-ryu.

Quote Originally Posted by EcoRI View Post
    Just wondering what the opinion on Sato Kinbei's and Shoto Tanemura's MK's regarding the Edo line are like.
    Let’s just say that neither Sato Kinbei or Tanemura are highly regarded in Koryu circles. I could tell you numerous stories about the exploits of Sato Kinbei, but I probably shouldn’t go there. While I have never met Tanemura, I see a lot of Sato sensei in him. As Simon mentioned, Sato was an instructor of the Sendai-line of YSR (Heiho), not Taijutsu.

I hope this sets things straight.
    David Kawazu-Barber
    河津バーバー デイビッド
    arakido.org / negishiryu.org

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ouch! View Post
    。。。。。

Let’s just say that neither Sato Kinbei or Tanemura are highly regarded in Koryu circles. I could tell you numerous stories about the exploits of Sato Kinbei, but I probably shouldn’t go there. While I have never met Tanemura, I see a lot of Sato sensei in him. As Simon mentioned, Sato was an instructor of the Sendai-line of YSR (Heiho), not Taijutsu.

I hope this sets things straight.
    Lots of great info that does provide good, direct info, and a little innuendo that frankly doesn't.

'Koryu circles' seem to gossip more than old women (with all due apologies to elderly women....), and this sort of innuendo regarding Sato Kinbei doesn't seem to help add info to the discussion. Why not go there? You already did

What would you have to say directly about the reputation of Sato Kinbei, particularly regarding YSR? Just curious. Anyone who claims such a broad range of mastery is going to engender suspicion, but suspicion does not equal info. But in the real world someone with a PhD, money, and time to do what he wants to do is going to engender a lot of jealousy no matter the circles. And his departures into Chinese martial arts and healing, etc., presumably weren't welcome by many.

But more pertinently to this thread, according to your info, did he study YSR under a reasonably qualified instructor? Did he make it up? Did he have any sort of traditional qualifications from anyone recognized in YSR? AFAIK the family still sponsors a YSR dojo, too, doesn't it? Is it completely unfounded in the thought of 'mainstream YSR' or however you would term it?

And Shimizu sensei certainly seems to have his own detractors, too; anyone who's in the 'martial arts press' in Japan every single month has to have run out of new things to say many, many issues ago. But he's still there, almost every month....
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Long as we're making up titles, call me 'The Duke of Earl'

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5