Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seiryoku Zenyo Kokumin Taiiku

Likes (received)

Default Seiryoku Zenyo Kokumin Taiiku

Does anybody have a good description of this kata? Dates of origin, styles that use it, translations of names, that sort of thing? I've been asked to find out, and I haven't a clue...

Likes (received)

Hi Mr. Svinth--

It's a Kodokan kata, not koryu. I imagine some styles like Sosuishitsu Ryu may use it, due to their close relationship with Kodokan. Not sure of the date of origin, but it's younger than Nage-, Katame-, or Ju-no-kata--older than Kodokan Goshinjutsu. I'd guess 'teens or '20s.
    What do you need translated? You can probably find most of what you need in "Kodokan Judo." The whole kata is illustrated there. You can also look at Fukuda's "Born for the Mat."
    Yours in Judo,

Brian P. Griffin

Likes (received)

I should have checked before posting, but Neil's site has a good article and description here:

http://judoinfo.com/seiryoku.htm

We use it as a warm-up routine at our dojo (the solo exercise, anyway).
    Yours in Judo,

Brian P. Griffin

Likes (received)

Thanks. I knew Tai-iku means "Physical education," or something to that effect, so figured it probably dated to the 1920s or thereabouts, but wasn't sure who used it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth
    Thanks. I knew Tai-iku means "Physical education," or something to that effect, so figured it probably dated to the 1920s or thereabouts, but wasn't sure who used it.
    "Seiryoku Zen'yo" is Kano's Fundamental Principle of Judo: make optimum use of your intrinsic abilities. Sometimes translated as "maximum efficiency."
    "Kokumin Tai-iku" is "National Physical Training." In other words it's a nationwide P.E. kata based on the Fundamental Principle of Judo.
    Yours in Judo,

Brian P. Griffin

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin
    Hi Mr. Svinth--

It's a Kodokan kata, not koryu. I imagine some styles like Sosuishitsu Ryu may use it, due to their close relationship with Kodokan.
    In the Sekiryukan dojo in Fukuoka, most probably. Other dojo in Japan, that's a resounding no.