Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Donn F. Draeger

Likes (received)

Default Donn F. Draeger

Donn Draeger, a man who needs no introduction, passed on in 1982.

There now exists an entry for Captain Donald F. Draeger on the online database "Findagrave.com".
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Default Hmmmm...

I believe Draeger was a Major, perhaps someone like Joe Svinth could set this straight?
    Tom Militello
    "You can't hide on the mats." Terry Dobson sensei.

Likes (received)

Tom --

Both contemporary newspaper accounts and descriptions by people who knew DD at the Pentagon Judo Club are unequivocal that he was wearing gold oak leaves rather than railroad tracks when they knew him ca. 1954-1955. Nonetheless, the gravestone is equally unequivocal in noting that he was a captain. In hopes of resolving this question, some months back I wrote to NARA St. Louis, to see if I could get a copy of his DD214. However, it took NARA a couple years to get me a DD214 on another fellow, so I'm not holding my breath in the interim.

Likes (received)

His permanent rank was Captain. He was a temporary Major during the Korean thing, war or whatever, and reverted back to his real frank upon retirement. He was a regular Marine and would most likely have been promoted before retirement if he were a reservist. I remember him as a Major.

Likes (received)

Jon Bluming told me that Draeger was a major in Korea and reverted to the rank of Captain upon discharge. Another confirmation of what's been said already.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth
    Tom --

Both contemporary newspaper accounts and descriptions by people who knew DD at the Pentagon Judo Club are unequivocal that he was wearing gold oak leaves rather than railroad tracks when they knew him ca. 1954-1955. Nonetheless, the gravestone is equally unequivocal in noting that he was a captain. In hopes of resolving this question, some months back I wrote to NARA St. Louis, to see if I could get a copy of his DD214. However, it took NARA a couple years to get me a DD214 on another fellow, so I'm not holding my breath in the interim.
    You can request anybody's DD214? I don't like that. There is personal identity information on that thing. I would think with all the identity theft risks there are today you could not do that.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Yamamoto
    Jon Bluming told me that Draeger was a major in Korea and reverted to the rank of Captain upon discharge. Another confirmation of what's been said already.
    Was he a "breveted" Major?
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

"Frocked" is the term in the Marine Corps. Frocking was my guess as to what happened, but because it is only a guess, I didn't want to state that for the record.

Yes, one can request a DD214 for any deceased military member. You can write a letter or use SF-180. See http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mil...-form-180.html . If you are not a relative, you get an abbreviated version of the form. If you're a relative, then you can get the whole thing.

Likes (received)

Found a very nice DD tribute on Kaminoda Tsunemoris (jodo) official Nihon Jodokai website: http://homepage3.nifty.com/-samidare-/ennkaku3.html

I cant read the language of course but it looks fairly obvious the site is about paying tribute to Donn. Too bad the photos are in such small format though.
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

I just took a look at the "Samurai Week" blurb on Kaminoda Sensei's website. You can click on the thumbnail to enlarge it.

Having never seen it with my own eyes, I have to assume that is the seitei version of the honte no kamae. If so, then one must conclude that seitei and koryu jo are very different indeed. If such a basic kamae is that different, the differences that result from it cannot help but be felt throughout the entire art.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

"Samurai Week" blurb
    I cannot find this 'Samurai week' item. Can you give the link. Thank you.
    Gusta Paulo Novak

Likes (received)

Just click on the link Fred 27 provided. It's in there.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Hartman
    Just click on the link Fred 27 provided. It's in there.
    I think I'm too slow. I clicked the link and checked each article carefully but I just can't find any 'Samurai Week' article. Perhaps my browser is filtering something out. I see links for three articles Camp Bushindo, Japan Week and a newspaper biography.
    Gusta Paulo Novak

Likes (received)

Sorry. It was the "Japan Week" thing.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Hartman
    I just took a look at the "Samurai Week" blurb on Kaminoda Sensei's website. You can click on the thumbnail to enlarge it.

Having never seen it with my own eyes, I have to assume that is the seitei version of the honte no kamae. If so, then one must conclude that seitei and koryu jo are very different indeed. If such a basic kamae is that different, the differences that result from it cannot help but be felt throughout the entire art.
    I dont know much about Kaminoda Senseis jo-work, but you can find an example of his jo-work in this clip.
    Fredrik Hall

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast