Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: *sigh*

Likes (received)

Default *sigh*

Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

I love the way this guy has to take several practice swings and stop himself a few times, but my favorite part has to be the way that he steps back into a position from which his sword in no way covers a potential opponent as soon as the cut is finished.

No, I take that back. My favorite part is the fact that poor Julian is lying on the backs of two other suckers, who get to kneel in doggy-style position for the entire demonstration.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Stupid human tricks.
    It has nothing at all to do with demonstrating cutting skill. Those sort of tricks are extremely easy for any moron (as evidenced by the video) to accomplish. First, potatoes are very easy to cut with anything sharper than a mop handle. Second, iaito are not sharp, but look identical to a sharp sword. I would be willing to bet that if you slow the video down and watch carefully, you will probably be able to see the skin on the "target's" stomach deform around the "sword" when the potato is cut.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Minobu Miki is the former brother in law of Julius Thiery, the Washington Karate Association head. He with Minakami, were the big talents in the Seattle karate scene back in the 1970's

In one demo back then, doing sword, they had a nice accident and did a nice line across the torso of the ukedachi.

He's a damn good karateka though.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Yamamoto

He's a damn good karateka though.

Agree !! I am not sure about his swordmanchip skills as I know next to nothing about it.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

If he's a good karate man, then it's very sad to see him cutting veggies on some poor student's stomach. Particularly if, as Neil says, they've already had at least one accident. Better to stick to what you know (of course, in my case that would mean sticking to just about nothing).
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Meh..If I'd had some serious doubts as to this guys martial skill I'd post this in the Bafflin' budo..I just think this is bad taste to portray martial arts in this way.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

I thought it was funny how towards the end of the video the sign at the back of the stage was covered so that only "ego Showcase" was visible.
    Roy Hubbard

Likes (received)

I am not a big fan of using students as a platform to
    swing weapons at, but Miki Sensei was a direct student
    of Kenzo Mabuni Soke.

http://www.jko.com/portal/pages/page1.asp
    http://www.jko.com/portal/pages/Iaido.asp
    Ray Baldonade
    Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu

"Love many, trust few and do wrong to none". Chan Yau-man

Likes (received)

I am not a big fan of using students as a platform to
    swing weapons at, but Miki Sensei was a direct student
    of Kenzo Mabuni Soke.
    He could have been Kenwa Mabuni himself, but I still think that stupid "cutting" demonstrations such as the one shown are moronic.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

The Pagan Barbarian Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Likes (received)

No, it is just another form of entertainment. Check the related videos as suggested per youtube:

Samurai Pizza Cats - The Nuclear Poato Part 3

Weird Al Yankovic - Couch Potato

Potato Cannon

'nough said
    Remi Vredeveldt

"Hysterical knowledge is often mistaken for historical knowledge"

Boni enim duces non aperto proelio, in quo est commune periculum, sed ex occulto semper adtemptant Vegetius Liber III, 9:5

Likes (received)

It's schtick. It's intended for the masses. Mr. Miki has legitimate rank through the Soke of Hokushin Shinoh Ryu and from Toshiyuki Tateno in MJER.

Face it, Iai is boring to the noninitiated. It was boring for me to watch. Watching paint dry was far more interesting than watching Iai. Then, I got to actually practice Iai and that was it. I was hooked. Now that I know more about Iai, I can watch it and it's no longer boring. But, you know, in order to educate the masses, you have to catch their attention.

Rob

Likes (received)

When was Iai meant for the masses...or mass consumption?
    'Leaves fall.'

Likes (received)

Arrow Well Put.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan
    When was Iai meant for the masses...or mass consumption?
    Harlan, well put.

None of my Iai & Batto instructors ever condoned such exhibitions as a way to attract new students.

For whatever reason, this type of display seems to be part of Karate demos; Kobudo seems to have expanded into the general mis-use of the Katana and the Naginata.

From the open Karate Tournaments I have gone to in the past, I only saw one person who knew anything about Iai (and he got very low scores at that - no flashy moves or inappropriate Kiai). Everything else I saw was Chambara - people waving expensive props around and uttering way too many Kiai.

I was invited to teach a Sword Basics seminar at a Karate Studio in the late 1990's. About half the participants were "self-taught" using books, videotapes and even classic Japanese movies. Funny things was I felt a strong push-back from the self-taught people - they "knew" that they knew what they were doing was "right" and I did not, although I was the one formally trained in Iaido and Kenjutsu. After that, I resolved after that never to accept an invitation to teach from a Karate Studio again.

YMMV,
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Well...you can't blame karate or kobudo for the 'circus' atmosphere of most demonstrations. 'Bread and circus' has been around for aeons.

The way this newbie looks at it: if you highlight control and precision with public demonstrations that cut potatos (or break boards, bricks, flaming kamas, etc.), that is all most of the potential students will see. Like sifting sand for a flake of gold...to find the rare student that sees more.
    'Leaves fall.'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast