Likes Likes:  0
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36

Thread: Kata Bunkai

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Markaso View Post
    Mr. Gilbert

I now teach Karate at a major university here in Japan. Most if not all university karate clubs in Japan are considered sports clubs. Yes, you are right as the differences between "sports Karate" and "real Karate" .... But you still need to be an athlete of sorts to be good at it. Yes, Karate is a life long persut and there is soooooo much to find and be taught. I try to teach both the sports side as well as the Budou side ...... Life is Karate and Karate is life.
    Nearly an esoteric point. Isnt it the case the ART is taught in a sports environment ? That doesnt make it a sport.

Also, I disagree you have to be an athlete of sorts to be good at it, there are plenty of disabled people who are, because of their condition, not as fit as they might otherwise be (I'm not even considering paralympics type disabled athletes here) but, say downs syndrome. Leaving disabilities aside, I know plenty of people who have been practising the art for many years who are not physical specimens but can still wipe the floor with those who are.

Anyway, I see we are drifting off bunkai and the mods dont like drift, so good to speak to you and good luck with your fabulous opportunity to take coals to Newcastle.

osu
    Trevor
    Trevor Gilbert
    ("If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying "Here goes number seventy-one" - Richard M. DeVos)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by trevorg View Post
    Nearly an esoteric point. Isnt it the case the ART is taught in a sports environment ? That doesnt make it a sport.

Also, I disagree you have to be an athlete of sorts to be good at it, there are plenty of disabled people who are, because of their condition, not as fit as they might otherwise be (I'm not even considering paralympics type disabled athletes here) but, say downs syndrome. Leaving disabilities aside, I know plenty of people who have been practising the art for many years who are not physical specimens but can still wipe the floor with those who are.

Anyway, I see we are drifting off bunkai and the mods dont like drift, so good to speak to you and good luck with your fabulous opportunity to take coals to Newcastle.

osu
    Trevor

Mr. Gibert

No, I agree. Just because it is taught in a sport enviroment does not make it a sport. What I was pointing out was the situation that I am in at this time. according to the school as well as the Karate association that the club belongs to I am considered a coach (although my title is Sensei). AND NO you do not have to be "physical specimens" to be good at it. But what "of sorts" do you not understand? What I as trying to state, and maybe not too well, is that for your physical abilities( and according to you this also may not be right) you must be in fairly good physical condition in order to execute or keep up a prolonged defense ( as that is what martial arts should be used for) if needed. Yes, we drift here from time to time and over and over again but isn't that part of the e-budo experiance?

Byt the way I could only guess at what "to take coals to Newcastle" means. Care to explain?
    Mark Posselius

Yep, and the practice goes on!!!

Likes (received)

Mr Posselius

Sorry, missed the 'of sorts' bit. You are quite right.

'Coals to Newcastle' is a quaint olde English saying which means that you are selling the very item to the people who normally produce them.

osu
    Trevor
    Trevor Gilbert
    ("If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying "Here goes number seventy-one" - Richard M. DeVos)

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36