Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a school

Likes (received)

Default Looking for a school

Im currently looking for a Japanese sword or kenjutsu school/academy in the Northridge California or Los Angelos caliofrnia area. I have looked and so far have found no schools. Im not picky seeing that i have only done light sword training in aikido before. So an Iaido would be prefered, but im definitly open to any of the -ryus like Mugai ryu. thanks for all of your help everyone! Oh yes not really looking for kendo but i might consider it later on so I guess you could include a kendo school if you know of one.

Likes (received)

A few things come to mind:

I think that there is a Kashima Shinryu group that meets at the UCLA campus. You might want to check them out; Kashima Shinryu is a koryu that practices kenjutsu as well as iaijutsu, jujutsu, naginatajutsu, sojutsu, kusarigamajutsu, etc. You can find some videos of the style on youtube.

If I remember correctly, the main Suio Ryu dojo for the US is in that general area. Like Kashima Shinryu, Suio Ryu has a curriculum that focuses on the sword but includes several other things. Some video of their stuff is also on youtube.

Both Kashima Shinryu and Suio Ryu have websites for their dojo.

Finally, I've heard that there is some Itto Ryu kenjutsu out in LA. There doesn't appear to be a website for this group, but if they are out there, I'm sure you could dig them up with some effort.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

wow that sounds great.

I dont know alot about these ryus because i have mainly been studying iaido and some light mugai-ryu. do you think you could give me any other information about these arts you listed such as their focus and emphasis? If they are in any way like iaido i know this will be impossible so i understand. Thanks for your great imput i will check them out and im still open to other suggestions!

Likes (received)

Good place to start the search
    Koryu.com
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aikikai
    wow that sounds great.

I dont know alot about these ryus because i have mainly been studying iaido and some light mugai-ryu. do you think you could give me any other information about these arts you listed such as their focus and emphasis? If they are in any way like iaido i know this will be impossible so i understand. Thanks for your great imput i will check them out and im still open to other suggestions!
    As a complement to koryu.com you could also go to the english wikipedia check out the list of koryu schools. Although the information on wiki is to be taken with a pinch of salt, and the articles doesnt contain individual dojo web-links or info, its in most cases a good "general" guide.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

wow looks like i have alot of reading ahead of me. 9-drawing ryus and 19-fighting ryus shoot. well thanks for all the info guys no one else knows of any good schools near LA or Northridge do you?

Likes (received)

Default Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

Our website can be found here: http://www.suioryu-usa.org/.

Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo groups can be found in the Southern California area, Ohio, Rhode Island and Omaha, Nebraska.

In the Los Angeles area, Our main dojo address and contact is listed below:

Japan Cultural Center
    1512 S. Euclid Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92802
    714 774-5730
    Training times are Wednesdays - 7:00PM to 9:00PM
    and Saturdays - 11:30AM to 3:30PM.

Please come by to watch class, introduce yourself and ask any questions you
    may have. We have additional brochures that will give you more
    information.

There is also a study group at University of California, Irvine at the
    ARC. Their training time is Fridays 7:00PM to 9:00PM in the Physical
    Forum room (upstairs). This group is led by Dave Otaguro and Sung Wang.
    Please feel free to check them out too.

In addition, Katsuse Yoshimitsu Kagehiro, serving as the 15th Generation Headmaster of the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo, will be in the Anaheim, California area from Spetember 1st to September 8th, 2007.

I hope this helps. Please contact us if you have more questions.
    Britt Nichols
    Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo® USA Shibu

AiTe wa Baka Ja Nai

Likes (received)

I dont know alot about these ryus because i have mainly been studying iaido and some light mugai-ryu.
    Just curious; What do you mean by "light mugai-ryu"?
    Andreas Rasmussen

Likes (received)

meaning i havent studied it very long.

Likes (received)

Aikikai, Britt's already posted the link to the Suio Ryu website. You can find the website for the Kashima Shinryu here: http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/kssr/index.html.

Just as a side note, when you joined this forum you agreed to include your full, real name with every post. You can do this easily by adding your name to your signature line. If you do not do so, your posts will be deleted and you will eventually be banned from the forum.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

The Shinkendo Honbu dojo is located in Los Angeles, CA...
    www.shinkendo.com
    (Obata-Kaiso also teaches his Aiki-bujutsu at the same location)

Best Regards,
    Michael Mason
    Shinkendo New York @ Brooklyn Dojo
    www.brooklyndojo.com/shinkendo

Likes (received)

We might be a little far, but we do have one student that travels from Northridge.

www.yoshidahabujutsu.com

Likes (received)

Default Interested in MJER down the freeway?

Im currently looking for a Japanese sword or kenjutsu school/academy in the Northridge California or Los Angelos caliofrnia area. I have looked and so far have found no schools. Im not picky seeing that i have only done light sword training in aikido before. So an Iaido would be prefered, but im definitly open to any of the -ryus like Mugai ryu. thanks for all of your help everyone! Oh yes not really looking for kendo but i might consider it later on so I guess you could include a kendo school if you know of one.
    Greetings. Our dojo (Zanshin Goshin Dojo) is affiliated with the Jikishin-Kai branch of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. We're in Pasadena, and the U.S. headquarters for the Jikishin-Kai is in San Diego (headed by Masayuki Shimabukuro), so quite a strong presence for this venerable ryuha here in Southern California.

Mert Gambito

Mark Murray Guest

Hello Aikikai,
    Please remember to sign each post with your full name as per the E-Budo rules. You can go to the User area to edit your signature to do this automatically.

Thanks,
    Mark

Likes (received)

sorry guys guess i didnt notice that rule you all have been sooo helpful. if anyone else has input that would be awesome!

Namaste, Brad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast