Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Koryu in Central Pennsylvania

Likes (received)

Default Koryu in Central Pennsylvania

A couple of years ago I moved to Central Pennsylvania - State College to be specific - and now after a lapse I would like to get involved again with jujutsu.

Are there any jujutsu or aikijujutsu dojo in central PA? I am not associated with Penn State but I did browse through their website and found some club aikido group but the webpage has not been updated in many years and again my primary interest would be in jujutsu.

I would be willing to drive ~45 minutes to a location, however Harrisburg would be just a bit too far for me to travel to and from a couple of nights a week.

Additionally I have had some practice in kenjutsu and I would like to get involved in that as well so if anybody knows of a kenjutsu dojo in central PA I would be grateful.

Anybody able to help me out?

Thanks,

Tim
    Tim Anderson

Likes (received)

I'm a judo instructor in Duncansville,PA just outside Altoona. There is an Aikido and Judo (Joseki Judo and Allegheny Aikikai )club in Altoona and my club in Duncansville.

There is also a Hapkido school in Altoona and a TKD school.

Penn State has the Quantum Judo club.

Peace

Dennis
    Dennis P. Mc Geehan
    Everyday presents new challanges and opportunities to learn!

Likes (received)

Dennis,

Thank you for the information. I may contact Allegheny Aikikai in regards to their jujutsu and aikido classes. Nothing personal about your judo school, but again I studied jujutsu for ~five years and would like to continue with that particular system (however my ukemi today is probably worse than when I started. . .).

Thanks for your help.

tim
    Tim Anderson

Likes (received)

I think it is Harrisburg and you mentioned that would probably be too far to travel but if I were in the area I would want to train with this group.

www.ittendojo.org

A second option (not sure of distance) would be:

www.sakurabudokan.com

A third option (again not sure of the distance) would be Derek Steele's Daito ryu group in Philadelphia.

www.budophiladelphia.org

Good luck in your pursuit.

Jeff
    Last edited by morpheus; 16th July 2007 at 16:00.
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Anderson
    Dennis,

Thank you for the information. I may contact Allegheny Aikikai in regards to their jujutsu and aikido classes. Nothing personal about your judo school, but again I studied jujutsu for ~five years and would like to continue with that particular system (however my ukemi today is probably worse than when I started. . .).

Thanks for your help.

tim
    Glad to help. Jan Finkbeiner is the judo instructor. Dave Hurtebise is the Aikido instructor. Good Training.

Peace

Dennis
    Dennis P. Mc Geehan
    Everyday presents new challanges and opportunities to learn!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus
    I think it is Harrisburg and you mentioned that would probably be too far to travel but if I were in the area I would want to train with this group.

www.ittendojo.org

A second option (not sure of distance) would be:

www.sakurabudokan.com

A third option (again not sure of the distance) would be Derek Steele's Daito ryu group in Philadelphia.

www.budophiladelphia.org

Good luck in your pursuit.

Jeff
    In doing some searches on this forum I came across Itten Dojo and it seemed to have been recommended by a few people in the past.

That would be at least an hour and half drive one way for me and after working ~9 hours then put a three hour drive on top of that - well that is a long day and I do not feel that I could keep that sort of commitment due to craziness at work.

The other two suggestions, unfortunately, are even farther away.

I appreciate the input, though. Thanks!

tim
    Tim Anderson

Mark Murray Guest

Sorry to hear that Itten dojo is so far away. There are some good people there. That was the only dojo I knew of in the area and someone had already mentioned it.

I did find a Kendo club at State College, but no kenjutsu.

http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/jfa/
    http://www.geocities.com/shingobrew/kendo.htm

Best of luck in your search,
    Mark