Likes Likes:  0

Thread: serious question for yah

Likes (received)

Cool serious question for yah

I have a serious question and would like serious answers. This means no kids fighting over "what is best."

I have been a police officer in a urban area for 4 years. In an urban environement I have had my pick of many martial arts in which to train. Of course as a kid I did Tae Kwon Do and got an E-dan (2nd Degree) black belt. When did police work I did Sin Moo Hapkido and enjoyed it.

I moved to a very rural area recently and I have very few training options. I work corrections and am currently in the hiring process for 2 different P.D's. I have access to Aikido, Brazilian Jujitsu, and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. Which do you suggest I invest my time and money in. I spent a month at the Aikido place and was annoyed at dishonest technique. Meaning....I barley touched uke and they fall over. I apply only a fraction of the pain I applied in Hapkido and they complain. I am now leaning toward the other do. Which do you suggest? BBJ, BBT or should I just give Aikido more time?

Thanks,

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Islander.vt
    I spent a month at the Aikido place and was annoyed at dishonest technique. Meaning....I barley touched uke and they fall over. I apply only a fraction of the pain I applied in Hapkido and they complain.
    Did you try Aikido of Champlain Valley?
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

No it was a different one.

Likes (received)

The instructor is very very talented and it is a good school for what it teaches. However I am looking for something a bit harder, which is why I was just looking for some opinions out there.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Islander.vt
    The instructor is very very talented and it is a good school for what it teaches. However I am looking for something a bit harder, which is why I was just looking for some opinions out there.

Please follow the rules and include your name in all your post !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

If the BJJ is taught by a qualified instructor, your time spent studying it will be extremely beneficial and most skills learned will be immediately transferrable to your job. Also, based on what you've listed as your training history, it would seem groundwork is an area you might not have spent much time in, and BJJ is exceptional in that area. Lastly, of the three styles you have access to, I suspect the BJJ class will offer you the most consistent practice against fully resisting opponents.

Good luck, and stay safe.
    Rob Canestrari

Likes (received)

I agree with the last poster. In your job, you don't really have time for "theories" on non-resisting partners. So, BJJ would be my choice as well. Plus, it will improve your cardio. Because of my job, when I see that a school still practices the traditional response to the long, drawn out, and slow, lunge punch, I tend to pass on that sort of instruction.

Default Just remember...

Whichever one you go with, you are going to have to functionalize it for your job as an LEO. Weapon retention issues are a major concern that the instructor(s) may not be familiar with or take into account. An otherwise perfectly useful grappling move may be completely unworkable for you if it exposes your weapon(s). Also, the end result in many arts is a pin or submission that may not leave you in position to handcuff the subject.

This tends to be a bit more of a concern in styles involving throwing or grappling since you tend to work much closer to your opponent than in the striking styles. Good luck with whichever you choose. James.

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Thank you I appreciate all your comments. Truth be told I was always concerened about weapon retention and mutiple attacker situations which is why I haven't spent much time in BJJ. However the instructor here is a Brazilian who has been around the block. The instructor is important and that is a major plus in this situation. I will watch a few classes in Bjj and BBT and then make an informed descision.

Be safe.

ISLANDER.VT

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Loeffler
    Please follow the rules and include your name in all your post !
    It's sometimes difficult to get LEO's to follow the rules.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

only when driving...... just kidding.

Islander.vt