Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shanghai Noon

Likes (received)

Pretty good fun. The best Jackie movie yet of the ones made for a US audience. Quite funny though not enough action.

-M-

Likes (received)

Greetings,

I saw the movie this weekend and thought it was worth $5 tops, I paid $8.75. I agree it was a bit short on action and was funny in spots. Unfortunately, I attended the show with a friend who is Jewish and he was not thrilled at the cheap ethnic humor, relating to Jews, in the movie.

On another side of this conversation, regarding Jackie Chan, I thought he stated, in the past, that he was not a ranked martial artist. But on the Jay Leno show the other night, he referrenced himself as a 'martial artist, not as an actor. Has he now gone the way of some of other martial movie phenoms?

FYI, I have always enjoyed and respected Mr. Chan and his movies, and I hope he continues starring in enjoyable martial comedies.

Regards,
    TommyK

------------------
    Tommy K. Militello

Likes (received)

Funny-my Jewish friend thought it was hysterical. Oh well - high expectations don't work for these movies.

As to his martial arts status - you know he is trained primarily in the opera.

Barry Guest

Yes in the CHINESE opera. Where he says that he spent at least 10 HOURS a day punching and kicking, tumbling, flipping w/ and w/out weapons for about ten years. I would think that would qualify him as a martial artist.
    I don't think to many of us 'artists' have that intense of a workout schedule.
    Barry

------------------
    Barry Brodeur w/
    Kaizen buyu dojo
    yondan Bujinkan
    Budo Taijutsu

Likes (received)

Yes poverty is great for martial arts training. Once upon a time, surplus children were sold to opera troupes.

Likes (received)

Hi,

When I posited the question about Mr. Chan, I was referring to his formerly humble opinion that he had never attained rank. That in itself, means nothing, as Bruce Lee showed us. I just thought by referring to himself as a martial artist now, he may be going a bit 'hollywood'. Nonetheless, I remain a fan and have the utmost respect for Mr. Chan.

Regards,
    TommyK

------------------
    Tommy K. Militello

Likes (received)

I'd be happy to trade my rank (lowly though it may be compared to many), in a New York second for his physical ability. I can always get rank again, I was never as capable as Jackie Chan.

I haven't seen it yet, my wife won't let me. I always gotta see dumm chick flicks when we go together.

Likes (received)

Chick flicks are horrible. Endless talk about relationships on and on and on.... Shanghai Noon also has too much talk.

Get her to see Fist of Legend with you. It actually has a good little romance attached (10%) and great action (90%)

-M-