Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Good ShorinjiKempo video clips

Likes (received)

Default Good ShorinjiKempo video clips

In light of the bad video clips that are out there on the web this thread is for the good or excellent ShorinjiKempo video clips out there......
    ONLY good and excellent clips (self defence/embu etc) should be submitted. All "average" clips will not be here for long.
    If you see any then post the link on this thread.
    If a link is deemed to be unsuitable then the relevent post will be deleted.
    Myself and Anders will be the only judges of what constitutes good or excellent in relation to this thread.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

Last edited by Steve Williams; 22nd August 2007 at 18:31.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

Last edited by Steve Williams; 22nd August 2007 at 18:31.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

Can we make requests?

I'd like one of Jee Sensei and Graham Nabbs Sensei doing their classic Embu...

But then again, that sort of thing might need the permission on the participants (if YouTube hasn't completely done away with the principals of copyright on clips).
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Has anyone got a good Shakujo/Bo embu?

How about a selection of archive SO Doshin in action?
    David Noble

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

FYI it would appear that someone uploaded on YouTube a clip of Aosaka Sensei from ShorinjiKempo It's Technigues and Teachings. This is a WSKO video and could be a copyright violation.

There are some senior Senseis who are oppose to the posting of videos. I believe their concern lies is a lack of control of ourt advance techniques. At the recent Seattle Seminar someone posted a video with highlights of the seminar on YouTube. It was eventually taken down.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Lamotte-Beuvron, Loir-et-Cher, Centre, France
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA
    How about a selection of archive SO Doshin in action?
    Yes, that's very interesting : I never seen SO Doshin in action...
    Laurent Leguay
    C.S.K.O. & L.B.S.K.
    フランス 少林寺拳法

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by luar
    FYI it would appear that someone uploaded on YouTube a clip of Aosaka Sensei from ShorinjiKempo It's Technigues and Teachings. This is a WSKO video and could be a copyright violation.

Would that be the one that titled itself "randori", perhaps?
    David Noble

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ken70
    Yes, that's very interesting : I never seen SO Doshin in action...
    I think I saw a movie of him in action once, probably at Honbu when I was there. His techniques look very basic, very hard and far less soft than modern SK.

Dirk

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA
    Would that be the one that titled itself "randori", perhaps?
    Yeah and no doubt the training videos will soon follow.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

As for posting copywrited videos:
    If it is already out there and the link is to somewhere like youtube or googlevideo or similar, then I see no problem with linking to it.
    If the participtants do not want it in the public domain they should contact the original poster of the video or the sharing site to have it removed.

BUT if it is a good video showing ShorinjiKempo in a good way then I can see no reasonable objection...... if ShorinjiKempo is seen in such a good way then it will increase awareness and membership in nothing but a positive way.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

Just watched the Rakutosai embu, massively impressive as to be expected from the Morikawas.

I especially like the bit where the baby starts crying halfway through.

Re. Kasio doing techniques, the old hombu promo. video has some footage, which I have an e-copy of as I've mentioned before.
    Richard Codling
    Edinburgh Shibu
    British Shorinji Kempo Federation

Likes (received)

Default re. footage of Kaiso

If I remember, the Kaiso footage has him (at a visit to the Shaolin temple in the late 70s) nonchalantly throwing some poor Shaolin monk around as well as a quick burst of him doing very fluid tan en stuff. Tantalising. For my money the best visual record of Kaiso I've seen are the photographs in the old - now sadly out of print - coffee table book, which include some impressive stills of him in action (and like the rest of the photos in the book, calling them 'stills' doesn't really do justice to the impression they convey).

It's difficult to belive there isn't some more footage extant given that technology like hand held cine cameras would presumably have been widely available in Japan by the mid to late 60s. However, I see the problem with just putting it out there - it would be strange if Shorinji Kempo hadn't evolved since his death, and in line with the principles of hokei I would see what his students have done since as adding to his legacy, not detracting from it (after all, if they weren't going to be able to add to the sum total of SK knowledge what would have been the point in Kaiso teaching them).

If film footage of Kaiso were being taken as an absolute referent, then this would I suspect tend to make SK more static as an art, which in the end i suspect would not have conformed to his wishes.

Tony leith

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by tony leith
    If film footage of Kaiso were being taken as an absolute referent, then this would I suspect tend to make SK more static as an art, which in the end i suspect would not have conformed to his wishes.
    Tony leith
    Which touches on a wider issue. Namely the requirements of 'art' versus 'combat effectiveness'. For example, there are clearly far more jodan geris in modern SK than old-time SK.

Dirk

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by tony leith
    it would be strange if Shorinji Kempo hadn't evolved since his death
    It's a shame we didn't have this discussion before the Summer Camp, for that might have been the time and place to ask for Mizuno Sensei's thoughts on that very matter. He is the only one in Britain to have had any sustained teaching directly from Kaiso (Did the elder generation of UK Branchmasters get to train with Kaiso? They would possibly have been to Japan prior to his death in 1980)... I think a lecture on that subject would be fascinating. It has been mentioned before on here that Mizuno Sensei's own Shorinji Kempo has changed over the years and Yamasaki Sensei too.
    David Noble

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast