Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Intensive shooting schools?

Likes (received)

Default Intensive shooting schools?

Dear all,

I really need to work on my trigger squeeze and sight acquisition.

I have heard about intensive 1-3 week long handgun shooting seminars/schools in the UK and with Blackwater.

Are there any good ones? Has anyone here ever been to one?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    OPEN 24 hours, 7 days a week,
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Likes (received)

Jody
    There is no handgun training in the UK apart from that done by the military and the police.
    There are a number of organizations offering training with pistols and even subguns, but these are with Airsoft weapons [and they charge real money for training with toy weapons!]
    You are better seeking such training in the USA, there are numerous highly qualified instructors who will teach you using live weapons, not toys.
    By the way, Airsoft have a place, and a lot of tactical teams find them very useful..... but as a supplement to live training with the actual issue weapons.
    Cheers,
    Dennis

Likes (received)

You can't get more intense than with Blackwater.
    Or with Bill Roger's school in Ga.

Likes (received)

In the US, I like Larry Vickers and Paul Howe for pistol training. Both are ex Delta and well respected. You may not need to spend a whole week training. 3 days is plenty and after that, you are so tired that things go downhill.

Just like in martial arts, it takes a lot of self training, which I see lacking in shooters who don't come from a martial arts background.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Just a few more thoughts about "intensive" schools. There are more than a few schools that have really nice ranges, drive you out in golf carts, and are basically a Disney Land for shooters. I prefer courses in which not only is my weapon stressed, but I am stressed as well. Jody, it sounds like what you need is to find someone local to coach you on what you want, and then spend a lot of time dry firing and range firing. Then, seek out a course to attend. BW has some good training, and a friend of mine is an instructor.

There are plenty of excellent instructors who tour around the country, using sponsored ranges for the training. These can be a be cheaper, and still have high quality training.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Default just my opinion...

Sir,
    If you already know what it is you are having difficulty with, I suggest practicing that particular skill on your own. I can't see paying $$$ to someone when I can just go to the local range and work on my own. I'm sure there are some folks in your unit who can help too.
    Respectfully,
    Tony Casella