Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Display of Pictures

Likes (received)

Default Display of Pictures

Hope this is the correct place to post this question about the display of pictures in the dojo.

I study a modern style of jujitsu and have recently opened a dojo here in my city. It's closer to koryu, than MMA.....we practice traditional jujitsu techniques and in a traditional manner (we wear gis, lots of bowing, traditional dojo etiquite, etc).

Our grandmaster/founder is still very much alive. A budoka friend was telling me there are specific "rules" to displaying the picture of the founder depending on whether he is alive, deceased, etc. (something about different color frames, placement, and so on).

Currently, we bow in to his picture displayed in the front of the dojo, and the pic is in a black frame...black only because it is the first one I grabbed when I had the picture printed (to which my friend was telling me is a no-no since he is still alive). Seems to me someone else told me I shouldn't display his picture at all since he is still living.

He will make his first trip to our dojo sometime in Oct. and I don't want to commit any faux pas and offend him by not properly displaying it.

Can anyone give me guidance on this as far as tradtional budo etiquite? Or is there any rules regarding this?

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Mahanes

Likes (received)

In terms of Japanese culture, a picture of someone would not be displayed unless they were dead or were no longer "around" (if they are on the other side of the world and no longer stopped by from time to time).

Never heard about different colored frames and such.

But, it shouldn't matter since you are neither in Japan nor teaching a koryu.