Hi there,

I just wanted to send you a link to someone's recent Budo no Kokoro experience. I had sent it to the CyberDojo for another reason but will just copy that email. The main point is to read the link. Thanks.

>Hi Folks,

A little background:

Well, I’m leaving next week for my annual pilgrimage to Okinawa and am looking forward to being with my Sensei again. While there, like my websites states, those that go to train with O’Sensei live in his house, sleep in his living/tatami room, eat and cook with him in the kitchen, and train twice a day for 2 -3 hours each session. Training is always personal and your time with O’Sensei is shared with those few students you take with you ( I tend to limit it to how many can fit in the kitchen which is 4 – 6 ).

Darryl Baleshiski (New England Rendokan) was over there in August with his family and students and Tony Penna (Extreme Karate in Connecticut) was there with his students during the time that monster typhoon hit in mid September. My group consists of some of us from Durham, NC (Durham Rendokan Shibu and Carolina Pines Women’s Dojo) and my students from Canada (Powell River Rendokan Shibu). Randy Garrett (Winchester Rendokan) from Tennessee will be going in November.

Now, the purpose of the posting:

There have been postings in the past, by people who have read/hear/said many things, without “first hand” knowledge of actually training with O’Sensei Shimabukuro, Rumors, being what they are, tend to become fact unless someone has “proof” to the contrary or an in-depth understanding of the event, even when rumor comes from those that are well respected. While looking at Darryl’s website the other day, looking for an update on his trip, I came across a page written by one of his students about his experience on Okinawa with O’Sensei. I’m sure this student is entirely unaware of the politics and agendas that are abundant in the martial arts. What struck me when I read his story was the purity of heart of the writing and how this experience has affected him.

The Cyberdojo has become an interesting place, of late, and it seems to generate the most posting and interest when there’s someone’s technique or lineage, or the lack thereof, on the line. It seems like the intent and purpose of sharing ideas, discussing techniques, and bonding with our fellow karateka has been lost somewhere along the way. We are all the product of our parents, but I think it’s safe to say that we, as adults, are our own person and that which we’ve accomplished has been through our own hard work. So, while our lineage can explain some things, it can be irrelevant depending on how it molds us and what we then do with that.

While I’m sure this email will start those that wish to discredit others into their email frenzy, my intent is to share with you, this man’s sincerity in his Okinawan experience and is the norm for all those that have had the opportunity to train with O’Sensei. And, the moral of this story is that which you will read will always be trumped by that which you experience.

http://www.nerendokan.com/07_tkerz.php

Thank you,

Sheree