Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Body Armor

Likes (received)

Default Body Armor

In another message, one of our members wrote the following:

Don't forget armor. That gives you a significant edge, if you're wearing it.
    Ok, he was talking about swords and armor, but it applies to the modern world as well.

Ask yourself this, if you intend to get into a gun fight, would you wear body armor?

Well, I bet 99% of all people who own firearms for protection don't own body armor, or don't keep it handy. Why not? Too expensive? Too much trouble to put on quickly? Both are not true.

I have a set at home and a set in my car. My son has a set, thanks to the Iraqi Army and Point Blank. I feel that having body armor is a no brainer if you think you will have to get into a gun fight. Bad guys have guns too.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Of course, there ARE holes in armor

But by and large, you should have it if you think you are going into a gunifght/

Likes (received)

There is a big hole on the top where your brain housing group extends out. .

Oh, and I have tried Dragon Skin. I hated it.
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

LOL, and if you have arms, you have armpits - which require pesky "shoot me here" holes as well.

Likes (received)

Default Risk Mitigation

The fact of the matter is that armor significantly increases your chance of survivability in a gun battle. Additionally, it allows you to have the advantage of maneuverability (based on the decreased probability of a fatal bullet strike) which is the ABSOLUTE key in winning any gunfight. Also, if you know how to use the weight of the armor to eat up recoil and maintain violence of action it will aid in your marksmanship technique as well.

There's probably a reason you hate Dragonskin, it doesn't work. That's why they don't have a DOD contract, and the multi-strike boron carbide plate with flak/9mm protection is still the standard. Just because they got a lot of hot press with the whole Discovery channel doesn't mean they passed the operational assessment. ( If you know what you're looking for you probably noticed that the test run on the Discovery channel actually failed. If a bullet makes even a 1/8 inch impression into the human body over a vital area, death will result.)

Gentlemen, I certainly don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but I am in a career path which leans heavily on the effectiveness of my armor to get me to retirement. Feedback is appreciated, respect is mandated.

Likes (received)

Alexander,

Welcome to E-budo. You wouldn't by chance be in 1/75? There are quite a few Rangers here. I was 2/75.

I had high hopes for Dragonskin, based on all the PR, but you are correct. It failed to pass the test. To me, it was way too bulky and it didn't seem to like the Iraqi heat.

I am heading back over to the sandbox next week, and will be trying out the Crye armor system. Too bad they don't sell these on the regular market yet. It is very comfortable. My other vest is a CIRAS land, and served me well.
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

If a bullet makes even a 1/8 inch impression into the human body over a vital area, death will result.)

HUH? The backface deformation standard for NIJ approved police body armor is a whole lot bigger than that (about the size of my fist in clay) and I know of at least one body armor company who refutes their standard as being bogus.

Duane Wolfe
    Duane Wolfe

Likes (received)

Alex,

Former Ranger from Aco. I came in at the same time as former Aco 1SG (before the current 1SG) with initials A.M. I wasn't able to go to the Ranger Ball last week, but was there the 2 years prior. I've seen the pictures of the new barracks. They look nice, but it is still sad that 1276 is no longer there.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Default The demise of 1276

George, John,
    I think everyone was sad to see 1276 go, but the improvement that the new facility represents is substantial. (Not to mention the lack of asbestos.) I also think its great that the boys no longer have to live and work in the same area, although it requires team leaders applying foot to ass when it comes to barracks maintenance.

Let me know how the Crye armor works out for you, I was always under the impression that all they made was carriers, not the actual armor. Is it still boron carbide multi-strike? That being said, I've always been a huge fan of Paraclete, and the fact that they have the side plate pockets built into the carrier,as opposed to having to supplement your carrier with Eagle MSAP, is a huge selling point with me.

Yes, a 1/8 inch depression into human flesh, created by a rifle, over a vital area, will kill. It is simply a matter of energy transmission. ( The same as the psi ratings you collect with an Anderson blast guage).

George, i'll buy a beer for big Al on your behalf the next time I see him. (Regiment?)

Likes (received)

Crye's carrier has the soft armor built into it. You can either use their plates, or they have a carrier designed for SAPI plates now as well. Not sure which one I am getting. Not sure what their plates are made out of. Paraclete is good to good as well.

Here is a view of the Crye carrier showing the padding and the ventilation system. This is has the SAPI plate carrier.
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Lindsey View Post
    In another message, one of our members wrote the following:

Ok, he was talking about swords and armor, but it applies to the modern world as well.

Ask yourself this, if you intend to get into a gun fight, would you wear body armor?
    I was talking about swords and armor, true, but anything that prevents me from getting hit is good by me. I noticed in the pics you posted that you weren't wearing helmets. Is that standard for your operation?
    Trevor Johnson

Low kicks and low puns a specialty.

Likes (received)

Helmets for us were only worn in vehicles. At the venues, we switch to ball caps. It was more of a personal choice. We were required to have the helmets on during movements, which makes things rather tight when you are in a land cruiser.
    John Lindsey

Likes (received)

What do you mean the dragonskin doesn't work?????

Dear John,

Isn't the Crye set supposed to be standard issue for the Army in 2010?

What's the weight?

Is it compatible with the Future Force Warrior System?
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    OPEN 24 hours, 7 days a week,
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Likes (received)

Was searching up on the DragonSkin armour seems good John what didnt you like exactly mate?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KTrTrsJu3pk one the more interesting articles about it
    Keep to the way of the warrior

Mc'pherson Lee

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by A. King View Post
    Yes, a 1/8 inch depression into human flesh, created by a rifle, over a vital area, will kill. It is simply a matter of energy transmission. ( The same as the psi ratings you collect with an Anderson blast guage).
    What caliber are we talking about?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast