Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: West Coast Seminar

Likes (received)

Default West Coast Seminar

Who is going to the West Coast Seminar next month in Pasadena? I estimate that almost half our branch is going.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

Five from Seattle. Three of us are testing for 3-dan (ouch!). We're all going to the Friday practice.

You'll be there, Raul? Haven't seen you in person in about five years, I think!

Colin May
    Bellevue (next to Seattle), U.S.A.
    Shorinji Kempo Seattle Branch

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by satsukikorin View Post
    Five from Seattle. Three of us are testing for 3-dan (ouch!). We're all going to the Friday practice.

You'll be there, Raul? Haven't seen you in person in about five years, I think!

I think we have 3 testing for Sandan and two for Nidan. And yeah I'll be there but still deciding if I should fly in Thursday night or early Friday morning. Definitely leaving Monday morning.
    Raul Rodriguez

Likes (received)

We should have 4 from San Diego. Looking forward to it - also testing for 3 dan.
    Dax Ross
    San Diego, CA

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Just a note for kenshis who will come to Friday practice: the traffic usually terrible to go to Gardena dojo on Fridays, please arrange your transportation properly as the practice will be from 5:00 to 7:00 PM. I would also like to say hello to Dax sempai, we met at Godo renshu last year at San Diego and this year at Caltech (I was one of the kenshis who did light randori with you).

Kesshu,
    Herdi Wijaya
    South Bay & Caltech Shorinji Kempo

Likes (received)

Hi Herdi,

Nice to hear from you. I look forward to seeing you and the other Cal-Tech/Southbay kenshi in a few weeks.

Dax
    Dax Ross
    San Diego, CA

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hwijaya View Post
    Gassho,

Just a note for kenshis who will come to Friday practice: the traffic usually terrible to go to Gardena dojo on Fridays, please arrange your transportation properly as the practice will be from 5:00 to 7:00 PM. I would also like to say hello to Dax sempai, we met at Godo renshu last year at San Diego and this year at Caltech (I was one of the kenshis who did light randori with you).

Kesshu,
    Herdi Wijaya
    South Bay & Caltech Shorinji Kempo
    I believe we will rent a van but not sure if we will attend that class but I certainly would love to. Ohashi Sensei will of course be attending the Branch Master's meeting.
    Raul Rodriguez

Likes (received)

There should be at least 5 of us attending from the Mount Diablo Branch (near SF). The drive is a lot better to Pasadena than to Seattle (yeah, we did that) even if the traffic is horrible in SoCal. I especially can't wait for the seminar because I bonded with a couple of CalTech students at the International Study Session in Japan, and they didn't show up in Seattle.

My san-kyu boyfriend will be around during practice, filming everything and learning from a distance. Don't mind him.
    Leela Soden
    Shorinji Kempo
    Mount Diablo Branch

Likes (received)

My san-kyu boyfriend will be around during practice, filming everything and learning from a distance. Don't mind him.
    What, he's still only san-kyu as a boyfriend? But you were talking about moving to north-ish California with him—I thought surely he'd be at least a shodan boyfriend by now! Sounds like he needs a boyfriend seminar or two...

(Sorry, Leela—but if you keep teeing 'em up, I'm gonna keep swingin' at 'em!)

Colin May

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by satsukikorin View Post
    What, he's still only san-kyu as a boyfriend? But you were talking about moving to north-ish California with him—I thought surely he'd be at least a shodan boyfriend by now! Sounds like he needs a boyfriend seminar or two...

(Sorry, Leela—but if you keep teeing 'em up, I'm gonna keep swingin' at 'em!)

He's ju dan in my heart.

Way off topic, but my ni dan written test is tonight. Tomorrow is my physical test. I am all wibbly inside.
    Leela Soden
    Shorinji Kempo
    Mount Diablo Branch

Likes (received)

Go, Leela! Rah, rah, sis-boom-bah!

Piece of cake, though. You know you'll rock it.
    Colin May

Likes (received)

Hey is there anything to be concerned about the fires and the displacement of all those 500,000 people? I asked this question on the North American forum and my concern would be if hotel rooms were taken over for those whose homes were burnt down. A friend of mine in Seattle had to change his travel plans to San Diego this week because his reservations were canceled and for the time being nothing is available close to where he needed to be.

Thanks
    Raul Rodriguez

Likes (received)

Most of the evacuations have been lifted, so you shouldn't have a problem getting hotel rooms. The fires were pretty far south of Pasadena, so I wouldn't worry. Have you made reservations yet?
    Dax Ross
    San Diego, CA

Likes (received)

All of our reservations were made a month ago and we are staying within walking distance of the seminar. Thankfully there is nothing to worry about although there was concern of a Katrina-like situation.
    Raul Rodriguez

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by luar View Post
    Who is going to the West Coast Seminar next month in Pasadena? I estimate that almost half our branch is going.
    Gassho,

From the FIU Branch, only Anatoliy Kenshi will be able to make it this time. Maybe next year there will be another seminar in Pasadena that more of us will be able to attend. I know that quite a few of us attended the one in Seattle earlier this year and really enjoyed it.

BTW, Anatoliy told me his first Sensei (from Moscow), original learned from the New York City branch master (not sure if he meant current or a former branch master). Maybe you will run into Anatoliy while you are there. He also plans on attending Friday's practice.

--Mike
    Mike Kirgan
    Florida International University Branch
    Miami, Florida
    http://www.fiu.edu/~shorinji

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast