Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Col Tibbets (Enola Gay) passes away

Likes (received)

Default Col Tibbets (Enola Gay) passes away

Paul Tibbets, who piloted the Enola Gay over Hiroshima, Japan to drop the first atomic bomb, died today.
    http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live...11/01/tib.html
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

So, what has been the response to his passing in Japan?
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Lindsey View Post
    So, what has been the response to his passing in Japan?
    Very muted here, John. There is a short obituary on p.7 of Saturdays Daily Yomiuri, whch notes that Tibbets died "after six decades of staunchly defending the mission".

Of more local interest was a story published in Japanese and English papers on Nov 1. A study group here in Hiroshima has revealed that a nuclear attack on this city would kill or injure 832,000 people. The study was in response to a law requiring local governments to protect civilians in the event of a military contingency.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

One interesting response was that people were a little unhappy that he never said sorry, and that he was following orders.
    Leon Appleby (Tokyo Ouji)
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを
    SK Blog at http://www.leonjp.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
    One interesting response was that people were a little unhappy that he never said sorry, and that he was following orders.
    I would never expect the man to apologize -- it was wartime, and he was following orders.

That said, I recall coming across his website a while back, and being a little, I dunno, saddened? disturbed?, that there was no mention at all of the casualties inflicted. There's a lot about "saving American lives", and a solitary picture of a devastated Hiroshima, but reading the site you get the impression that the bomb destroyed the city, American lives were saved by Japan's quick surrender, and no one was otherwise harmed.

I have no idea what it would be like to drop the first atomic bomb, and kill 70,000 people in a stroke. I can't imagine it felt good, and I'd expect Tibbets to deal with it just like any other soldier dealing with the horror of war -- focusing on his duty to his country.

Still, civilian men, women, and children were sacrificed to save those American soldiers' lives. It would have been nice for them to get a mention.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok View Post

Maybe playing the role of the devil's advocate here, but isn't that a little like the pot calling the kettle black? China and Korea have been asking for the same thing from Japan for decades as well.

Just a thought.
    Gary Williams

The only fair fight is the one not fought.