Likes Likes:  0

Thread: learning kyokushin?

Likes (received)

Default learning kyokushin?

Did not know where else to post this.

The thing is that I am taking kyokushin one day a week (I don't have time) but I was planning on taking kyokushin seriously but I have heard it has been very critisized for the rules they apply during competition and practice in general where head punches are not allowed, but still I'v heard it is one of the hardest karate. Have these rules changed, cause it would be great if they allowed head strikes again.

Thanks
    Carlos Segura

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by menkotedo View Post
    Did not know where else to post this.

The thing is that I am taking kyokushin one day a week (I don't have time) but I was planning on taking kyokushin seriously but I have heard it has been very critisized for the rules they apply during competition and practice in general where head punches are not allowed, but still I'v heard it is one of the hardest karate. Have these rules changed, cause it would be great if they allowed head strikes again.

Thanks
    Carlos Segura
    Who cares what others think about about kyokushin karate not striking to the head during tournaments. It is what it is ! A tournament ! Just because they don't do head strikes does not necessarily mean squat ! You know why ? I rather lick a cat's butt than being on the recieving end of the kyokushin shin kick to the face.

Osu ! ( hey ! not bad for a non-kyokushin dude )
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

O no, sorry, I did not make myself clear. I was not critizicing, but I would like to know what are the actual rules and know how they have changed (where can I find this info). And I got curious caus we did some free sparring last class but there were no head punches allowed (but we were just noobs). There is another matter and is that I may be able to do kyokushin and boxing and wanted to know if they complement well, because I am almost sure it's not the same learning them apart as trainning in kick boxing (correct me if I am wrong).

thanks
    Carlos Segura

Likes (received)

Just google it and you'll find them soon enough. The Canadian Kyokushin site is a good reference point.

Don't worry about what others say about the rules. I've always understood the punch to the head is more likely to hurt the hand than, as Prince says, a shin kick to the face.

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LD84VAg4EM

Osu
    Trevor
    Trevor Gilbert
    ("If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying "Here goes number seventy-one" - Richard M. DeVos)

Likes (received)

Carlos,

Learning two things at once can be a bit problematic. Depends mostly on the student learning and his or her reasons for study. If you learn two disparate arts, it might be easier to accommodate them since you are not overlapping skill sets that would need to be changed per venue and criticized at one place but complimented elsewhere. On the other hand, boxing is a neat addendum to Kyokushin. Just be wary that setting things up might be a little different and movement in and out of the opponent’s range would need to be structured on what you were and were not allowed to do.

If you have ever seen the K-1 Grand Prixs (kick boxing tournaments with a distinct MT flair), some of the earlier contestants were from Kyokushin…including Andy Hug. He did well after he trained for face punching and getting his techniques off when having to contend with those head shots.

The problem I see is that if you take two similar arts, you risk a longer learning curve instead of getting the gist of one system and then filling in gaps that you perceive missing with other technical instruction. But this presupposes you have the basics down in one art and are aware enough to pursue a second without undue adjustment problems.

Good luck in however you wish to proceed.

Regards,

Brad Burklund
    Brad Burklund

Likes (received)

Default Fighting Black Kings

Greetings,

Check out "THE FIGHTING BLACKL KINGS" available on VHS, I do not know if it made it to DVD. It gives you a decent insight to the style as practiced in the NYC area in the 70's.

Regards,
    TommyK
    Tom Militello
    "You can't hide on the mats." Terry Dobson sensei.

Likes (received)

Carlos,

As a side note...all competitions have rules of engagement. Some have less than others, but the intention in sparring or grappling or any other competitive institution you can imagine is to gauge technical ability...not necessarily hurt the opponent...though this does sometimes happen. But that's why you have rules and a ref.

Per Kyokushin, it can be a great art...and so can boxing. The rules in Kyokushin to restrict head punches are in place since no gloves are worn. I have known Kyokushin players to put on headgear and boxing gloves and go at it in practice. Just because rules proscribe certain techniques, doesn't mean that they aren't trained elsewhere.

Regards,
    Brad Burklund

Likes (received)

Hey thanks for the answers. Now I have a lot of thinking to do... but ironically I consider myself a fan of Andy Hug (R.I.P) and he was one of the reasons I started taking kyokushin in college and I would like to take it seriously.

Thanks
    Carlos Segura

Likes (received)

For the most part, Kyokushin doesn't have much emphasis on face punching unless you're at a dojo involved with Ichigeki/IKO1. Or, this; http://www.budokaratehouse.com/honbu...urnament3x.htm

If you ever have the means, I'd suggest Daido Juku/Kudo.
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Sadly I don't think there is daido juku anywhere near my country, or I would leave college and dedicate everything to it (no just kiddin), but yes I would love to be able to practice daido juku.

Likes (received)

What country are you in? I know of Daido Juku in France, Italy, Russia..and a few others, if I remember right. Here, in the USA, we don't have it, neither.
    My only advice would be to stick to Kyokushin and perhaps take up kickboxing or Muay Thai down the road, they compliment Kyokushin pretty good. You can catch a lot of kickboxers/thaiboxers off guard by using Kyokushin moves.
    I don't want to advertise another forum on here but you might want to check out www.kyokushin4life.com and ask around.
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Default kyokushin vs xanda

Here's a vid of a really great fight, kyokushin v. chinese sanda/san shou. Unfortunately, it's between two 11 year olds, which makes it (at least for me) hard to watch. But if you put your squeamishness aside, because these two scrappers really go at it, it is a great fight. It appears to be fought with kyokushin rules because I didn't see any face punches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI78jcoXnbU

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Burklund View Post
    Carlos,

Learning two things at once can be a bit problematic. Depends mostly on the student learning and his or her reasons for study. If you learn two disparate arts, it might be easier to accommodate them since you are not overlapping skill sets that would need to be changed per venue and criticized at one place but complimented elsewhere. On the other hand, boxing is a neat addendum to Kyokushin. Just be wary that setting things up might be a little different and movement in and out of the opponent’s range would need to be structured on what you were and were not allowed to do.

If you have ever seen the K-1 Grand Prixs (kick boxing tournaments with a distinct MT flair), some of the earlier contestants were from Kyokushin…including Andy Hug. He did well after he trained for face punching and getting his techniques off when having to contend with those head shots.

The problem I see is that if you take two similar arts, you risk a longer learning curve instead of getting the gist of one system and then filling in gaps that you perceive missing with other technical instruction. But this presupposes you have the basics down in one art and are aware enough to pursue a second without undue adjustment problems.

Good luck in however you wish to proceed.

Regards,

Brad Burklund
    Kyokushin and the offshoots(seidokaikan, etc.) with competitors that have entered K-1 have put some serious time into kickboxing/muay thai/boxing. Andy Hug really started to learn K-1 when he left Kyokushin and switched to Seidokaikan. Francisco Filho, Glaube Feitosa, and Nicholas Pettas spent quite a while in the Bellevue, WA area around 97-98-99 training with Maurice Smith. I can remember fighting in '98 in Issaquah, WA and they were all present with Maurice.
    Daido Juku which isn't really karate per se but more of an "mma art" known as Kudo now has a strong Kyokushin base/background but a lot of it's top dogs have cross trained heavily in Muay Thai. I know for a fact that Kato sensei(shihan?) spent a while in the 90s privately training with Master Toddy and did some pro Muay Thai fights while at Toddy's. I have talked to other Daido Juku people that have spent some time in Thailand training their MT.
    I know this is an old thread but just stirring up the pot, so to speak.
    Kyokushin offers some different types of footwork, angles, kicks, body punches, and general overall physical conditionining that can compliment your striking game. Besides that, it offers what I like to think of as "budo spirit" which some more ring oriented arts seem to lack(imho).
    Like I previously said if you want to learn more about Kyokushin, offshoots and "glove karate", kakutogi, etc. I'd check out www.kyokushin4life.com it's pretty much devoted to everything I just mentioned.
    BTW, there is a Daido Juku dojo in the USA now but it's not a branch and unfortunately is private, not open to the public ..but it is recognized by DJ. Just be patient..DJ is coming to the USA, there was recently a Daido Juku seminar in NY or NJ with the Azuma himself.
    Brian Culpepper