Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dan Ivan Passes

Likes (received)

Default Dan Ivan Passes

Sensei Daniel Ivan passed away after a long battle with illness Nov. 14th at 7pm at the VA Medical Center in Loma Linda, Calif.. Sensei Ivan began training in hand to hand combat while in the military in 1945 and continued his formal training for many years in Japan. He has earned black belts in Karate, Judo, Aikido, and Kendo. Ivan founded the Japan Karate Federation of America, was inducted into the Black Belt Hall of Fame, and became the first U.S. Director of the prestigious International Martial Arts Federation. In addition to his achievements in the martial arts, Dan Ivan has been an instructor to CID Agents, Law Enforcement Officers, and the U.S. Marine Corps. He also earned a rare commendation from Japan National Police for undercover work on international cases. Sensei Ivan has long been instrumental in promoting the martial arts in the United States. He opened his first dojo in 1956 in Southern California eventually opening 8 additional locations. In 1965 he helped convince Shihan Fumio Demura to come to the U.S. to stay and together they co-authored numerous Karate/Kobudo books and videos. Sensei Ivan was an exceptional man and martial artist. He will be missed.

I am still a student of Demura Sensei, and had the opportunity to train under Ivan Sensei when I lived at the honbu dojo in the late 70s. I also worked for him doing some real estate maintenance and the like, so I was able to spend a tremendous amount of time with him. He had an extraordinary influence on my life.
    Richmond H. McCluer, Jr.
    Shito-Ryu Karate-Do Genbu-Kai
    Demura-Ha Shito-Ryu

If your mind is empty, it is always ready for anything, it is open to everything. - Shunryu Suzuki

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond McClue View Post
    Sensei Daniel Ivan passed away after a long battle with illness Nov. 14th at 7pm at the VA Medical Center in Loma Linda, Calif.. Sensei Ivan began training in hand to hand combat while in the military in 1945 and continued his formal training for many years in Japan. He has earned black belts in Karate, Judo, Aikido, and Kendo. Ivan founded the Japan Karate Federation of America, was inducted into the Black Belt Hall of Fame, and became the first U.S. Director of the prestigious International Martial Arts Federation. In addition to his achievements in the martial arts, Dan Ivan has been an instructor to CID Agents, Law Enforcement Officers, and the U.S. Marine Corps. He also earned a rare commendation from Japan National Police for undercover work on international cases. Sensei Ivan has long been instrumental in promoting the martial arts in the United States. He opened his first dojo in 1956 in Southern California eventually opening 8 additional locations. In 1965 he helped convince Shihan Fumio Demura to come to the U.S. to stay and together they co-authored numerous Karate/Kobudo books and videos. Sensei Ivan was an exceptional man and martial artist. He will be missed.

I am still a student of Demura Sensei, and had the opportunity to train under Ivan Sensei when I lived at the honbu dojo in the late 70s. I also worked for him doing some real estate maintenance and the like, so I was able to spend a tremendous amount of time with him. He had an extraordinary influence on my life.
    My condolenses to Ivan Sensei's family and students. Rest in Peace Sir !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Rip

O'Sensei ne Rei.
    Hank Irwin
    www.geocities.com/bushinoji
    A.O.A.
    Academy of Okinawan Arts

Likes (received)

I had the pleasure of talking/interviewing Ivan Sensei some years ago about his days training at Camp Drake in Japan under Gozo Shioda Sensei of the Yoshinkan. He was one, if not the first, american to receive shodan in Yoshinkan Aikido from Gozo Shioda.

One of the nicest and humble talks I've had with a martial artists in a very long time.
    Steven Miranda
    Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento
    http://www.seikeikan.com

Rich:

All our condolences.

Likes (received)

Rest In Peace, Sensei Ivan.
    Hieroteo Villarosa V

Likes (received)

Sensei Daniel Ivan rest in peace. Take care Sensei Doug Ivan. Another movie soon. past tenent Duane Z.

Likes (received)

All those are invited to attend a remembrance for Dan Ivan.

Date: Sunday December 9th, 11am
    23725 Via Fabricante Unit E
    Mission Viejo, CA 92691
    (949) 859-1038
    Brig Campbell

Likes (received)

Default Dan Ivan

I am Forrest A. Barber proud to use my name on the internet.
    My wife is the sister of Dan Ivan, Patricia S. Barber ( Fodor), her mother Edith Ivan ( Vargo) was married to Dan Ivan (father of this Dan) back here in Alliance, Oh.
    Dan was a young man with a lot more ambition than most in Alliance. He joined the service , US Army , at age 15..... yes he may have fibbed a bit. Danny ended up in Japan and the rest is history, he found the two loves of his life , Mitshiko (sp) and the Martial arts. I started dating Patty in 1961 and met Dan only three times when he came back to visit. Patty had been out there in Ca. once before 1961. WE own an airport , learn about us at ; www.barberaircraft.com ; I am a Commercial pilot with a lot of ratings. I also joined the Alliance Police Dept in 1966 and retired as a Capt. in 1993.
    Dan visited here and shared his experiences with the family, he showed me two take-down moves, and two control moves that I used wisely through out my career. I was involved in a shooting incident and had to take the life of the other armed person attempting to fire upon me and others.
    I was interviewed my Massad Ayoob of the Lethal Force Institute during the investigation and he of course had worked with Dan and the LA P.D.
    There are many other stories, I just want to let others know that I am another person whose life may have been saved by Dan Ivan. The family back here misses him a lot and only wishes that he could have returned one more time here to Ohio. The only contact we have is his friend Jack Bailey who sent information just prior to Dan's death.
    WE need anything his friends can pass back to the family. We need the obit, we need phone numbers for Doug Ivan, we need some closure as it was real hard to determine what Dan really wanted. We understand his cremains were to scattered. We need infor on that too. send to Patrica Barber , 13770 Union Ave NE, Alliance, Oh 44601-9347 fbarber@alliancelink.com
    or 330 823-0652 cell 330 495-5447. Dan left three sisters and two brothers who loved him dearly .

thank you for allowing us to register and share. Forrest, Patty & family

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Barber View Post
    I am Forrest A. Barber proud to use my name on the internet.
    My wife is the sister of Dan Ivan, Patricia S. Barber ( Fodor), her mother Edith Ivan ( Vargo) was married to Dan Ivan (father of this Dan) back here in Alliance, Oh.
    Dan was a young man with a lot more ambition than most in Alliance. He joined the service , US Army , at age 15..... yes he may have fibbed a bit. Danny ended up in Japan and the rest is history, he found the two loves of his life , Mitshiko (sp) and the Martial arts. I started dating Patty in 1961 and met Dan only three times when he came back to visit. Patty had been out there in Ca. once before 1961. WE own an airport , learn about us at ; www.barberaircraft.com ; I am a Commercial pilot with a lot of ratings. I also joined the Alliance Police Dept in 1966 and retired as a Capt. in 1993.
    Dan visited here and shared his experiences with the family, he showed me two take-down moves, and two control moves that I used wisely through out my career. I was involved in a shooting incident and had to take the life of the other armed person attempting to fire upon me and others.
    I was interviewed my Massad Ayoob of the Lethal Force Institute during the investigation and he of course had worked with Dan and the LA P.D.
    There are many other stories, I just want to let others know that I am another person whose life may have been saved by Dan Ivan. The family back here misses him a lot and only wishes that he could have returned one more time here to Ohio. The only contact we have is his friend Jack Bailey who sent information just prior to Dan's death.
    WE need anything his friends can pass back to the family. We need the obit, we need phone numbers for Doug Ivan, we need some closure as it was real hard to determine what Dan really wanted. We understand his cremains were to scattered. We need infor on that too. send to Patrica Barber , 13770 Union Ave NE, Alliance, Oh 44601-9347 fbarber@alliancelink.com
    or 330 823-0652 cell 330 495-5447. Dan left three sisters and two brothers who loved him dearly .

thank you for allowing us to register and share. Forrest, Patty & family
    Mr. Barber

Welcome and thank you for sharing this.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo