Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bad Karate Teacher

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

If you're trying to strengthen ribs, kicking them until they break isn't a good idea. And doing it to kids, who have immature bones, is really dumb!
    Trevor Johnson

Low kicks and low puns a specialty.

Likes (received)

Every now and then there are still folks who surface and draw attention for using what they call "old school" ways of training. I have to say that I have come to really question this rationale. From what I have been able to find in researching various traditions, "hard training" was, pretty much an invention of US military personnel returning from duty in the Far East. Sometimes the person had not stayed long enough to really learn anything in-depth so they filled-out their curriculum with "bust-butt" material and told everyone that this is how THEy learned. Others may have taken a bit of this or that from some foreign national who actually didn't know very much and did the same thing. Still others may have been victimized by be-grudging teachers who needed the money instruction brought, but resented the Americans they were teaching.

At any rate, my own personal experience has been that instruction under a competent and qualified instructor can be challenging, but has never been abusive. I can't say the same for everyone (IE. senior students), but the teachers have never been abusive. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Well, I don't know the school or instructor in question, but I do know the one intervied, Clint Green. He's a good guy. And there was something definitely out of whack with this teacher. My experience coincides with Bruce.
    With respect,

Mitch Saret