Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Martial Arts from my perspective.

Likes (received)

Yep, you only have to look at one of them sideways and they fall over crying. Not much of a threat at all.

Even recreational rugby players will have a decent pain threshold, so that counts in their favour, if nothing else.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Chris..

HA Good point, good on ya...

But as you said you get my point.

The other point that should be made to is relativity of combative application and skills within the context of the violence itself.

What is realm? Law enforcement, military, and civilian applications all change the desired goal, context of occurrence, and the subsequent skills required by the persons involved.

There is always crossover, but a person teaching cops or military might not be the best person to teach civilian.

I know I haven't been reflecting in the dark, but you know, I am a simple guy I'll settle for going to practice, walking home, and going to sleep.

Keep smiling, keep sweating, and for the love of all that is holy don't take ourselves to seriously.

Aaron "easy like Sunday morning" Fields
    Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
    Sea-Town Sombo
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Likes (received)

Red face

yoj

Yeah, but I couldn't think of a rugby team.

Oops.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron T View Post

Keep smiling, keep sweating, and for the love of all that is holy don't take ourselves to seriously.
    Nice! Every once in awhile I need to remind myself of that.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cufaol View Post
    Just a quick note on the OP's text.

With all due respect,

UFC/Pride etc. are not what I would refer to as protected-controlled environments. When a guy is stomping his foot on my head, I don't care whether I'm lying on canvas or pavement. Honestly, these kind of events are the next best thing aside from reality. And in some instances, they even cross the line. imho ofcourse.
    After the guy stomps his foot on your head and you black out, is he allowed to stomp you again? If you are in the ring and find yourself outmatched by your opponent, are you allowed to utilize a weapon as an equalizer? Bites, head butts, groin attacks, hair pulling; are these okay?

UFC/Pride are certainly not warm and fuzzy, and they are certainly intense crucibles of skill and strength, and closer to reality than, say, boxing, greco-roman wrestling, or rugby, but IMO the great thing about MMA tournaments, the thing that keeps them from being distasteful bloodsports, is the very fact that they are protected and controlled environments, with the lives and livelihood of the participants held in very high regard, by fighters, organizers, and spectators alike.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Ok that all sounds nice and romantic...but.....

If you give me a choice of who is on my side in a scrap,

10 rugby players or 10 PJ wearing "martial artists...."

I take the rugby players ever time.
    What about us ruggers that also wear silly pajamas and get tossed into the mat?!? It takes a certain kind of guy to run from the pitch to a shower, rinse off and then run to the dojo and say "don't worry, I am already warmed up" when they get there just as class starts. God I don't know how my kidneys process all of the ibuprofen. I blame youth and vigor.

As far as the OP goes, I find it odd to think that so many martial artists, if the term martial is appropriate here, are so estranged from the idea of violence being the raison d'etre for their practice. Whether or not the violence is something that you personally cultivate does not change the fact that the path we walk was worn by men steeped in bloody traditions. They were who they were because of the things the did (ie killing)... Those that came after them were who they were because they trained under those rare and dangerous men. Somewhere, back in the begining, the truth was found in the killing.

Some how many people seem to have forgotten this, disregard it or whatever. Confuses me constantly.

Thats me opinion and to most it is worth very little. To bed for me... uke for four tests in one evening has left me a sore heap of bones.

- Chris McGaw

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
    ~Ernest Hemingway

Likes (received)

Man U is an Oikball team. Pampered.

Rugby is this:

Mat Rous

Likes (received)

I am a simple guy I'll settle for going to practice, walking home, and going to sleep. Keep smiling, keep sweating, and for the love of all that is holy don't take ourselves to seriously.
    I agree completely, 100%... like one of my sigs used to say.. I practice traditional M.A to fill my spare time with something useful.. I don't even dare to dream of being the next Sokaku Takeda, Sarutobi Sasuke or Rickson Gracie.. If a thief breaks into my home I'll call police.. if I got harrased by a drunk in a bar I'll call security.. Only if a see a knife or a stick actually flew towards my weakling self that I will try to apply my M.A training.. and that happened to me only a handful time.. and that was long time ago during my young and stupid days (as opposed to my present old and stupid days).

Oh, BTW, the most effective M.A technique I discovered is the haya-ashi tai-sabaki.. (translation = RUN away quick!)
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

True and sensible. Some of us have jobs that require us to close with the enemy though. Mr. James Williams teaches classes and seminars to those kind of professionals, I understand. Thus my questions for him, as it takes on a higher level of importance when your life may actually depend on how well you have absorbed your lessons and how well you implement those lessons on a regular basis. (Not disagreeing with anything said here - just thinking out-loud.)

Jeff Cook

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3